E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Just noticed something...

09-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Just noticed something...

My car is only about 4 months old and from day one...the dealership acknowledged a scratch that they put on the car when they washed my car (which i didnt want them to do btw) well I caught the car today at a really odd angle, and noticed that there was more scratching in the paint...but a different kinda scratch.

the scratches almost look like grooves, grooves that were painted in...almost like they were always there. I was wondering if thats an optical illusion, or possibly some damage that they tried to buff over....whatever the case, i DIDNT put it there. I cant figure it out for the life of me, but its something I cant get out by hand...so they are deeper grooves.

any ideas...ill work on getting some pics up by tomorrow.

Just went out to take a look at the car on the other side, sun shining directly on it... funny thing is, you cant see the marks in the sun...looks clean. but if you look at the same area in the shade, thats when you see the imperfections.

Last edited by Haywire; 09-19-2008 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

weird...will have to see pics to understand
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

strange.. the sun should work you just have to bend at a bunch of different angels b/c it is the light that is hitting the cut or scratch that shows the imperfection. but i have had my 3m sun gun show me marks the sun can't and vice versa.

we really need some pics..are you sure this isn't from a car wash?

do you take your car to car washes with spinning rag monsters that swirl the crap out of a car?

all speculation b/c we really need pics

need pics!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
strange.. the sun should work you just have to bend at a bunch of different angels b/c it is the light that is hitting the cut or scratch that shows the imperfection. but i have had my 3m sun gun show me marks the sun can't and vice versa.

we really need some pics..are you sure this isn't from a car wash?

do you take your car to car washes with spinning rag monsters that swirl the crap out of a car?

all speculation b/c we really need pics

need pics!!!!!!!
ill be getting some pics up either later today, or tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

I can only speak for my Jet Black car but BMW paint prep and spraying is absolutely sh..t !! - worst orange peel I've ever seen (under certain lighting it looks like the car is covered in alligator leather) , highly inconsistant paint thickness, grooves and notches below base coat, softest scratchable paint ever etc etc...They really need to get their act together and give us justification behind the cost of these vehicles. Enough said !!!

09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
I can only speak for my Jet Black car but BMW paint prep and spraying is absolutely sh..t !! - worst orange peel I've ever seen (under certain lighting it looks like the car is covered in alligator leather) , highly inconsistant paint thickness, grooves and notches below base coat, softest scratchable paint ever etc etc...They really need to get their act together and give us justification behind the cost of these vehicles. Enough said !!!

Unfortunately you're right about jet black, it's the worst paint I've ever worked with. It was actually quite surprising to me how much different and better sapphire black is to work with. I wish I had gone with sapphire instead, however after this car I'll never own a black car again anyway.

Haywire, it seems like you have a lot of bad luck regarding the paint on your car, sorry to hear about another issue. Post up some pics when you can and I'm sure someone can give you some advice.
      09-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
LOW2000
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 00 Silverado 08 G35S 62 CJ5

Usually you see those grooves as a result of body filler under the paint that wasn't sanded very smooth prior to paint, the paint fills the grooves and you get that effect, it tends to get worse over time as the bondo shrinks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Haywire
Canada
Rep

is there any way to remedy the grooves, it doesnt sound like a buff is going to help much.

PS, i tried to take pics but the cam wasnt picking anything up...my digicam blows, ill keep trying.

thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Unfortunately you're right about jet black, it's the worst paint I've ever worked with. It was actually quite surprising to me how much different and better sapphire black is to work with. I wish I had gone with sapphire instead, however after this car I'll never own a black car again anyway.

Haywire, it seems like you have a lot of bad luck regarding the paint on your car, sorry to hear about another issue. Post up some pics when you can and I'm sure someone can give you some advice.
and thanks for your concern from day one when they washed my car, they scratched it all up... soon they are going to try and buff it out. they told me if it wasnt done to MY SATISFACTION, that i could take it anywhere i please, and they will flip the bill. with that kinda incentive, i might as well let them give it a go....

now its a dent, a scratch, and this groove paint bullshiat... turning out to be a real headache.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
feedback isnt worthless, and if you read the thread...you would see that the cam i have hasnt been picking up what im talking about. I would be more than happy to give you my home address and you can come take a look at it first hand
Appreciate 0