E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Court Date

08-12-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Court Date

Hey, what's up guys! So I have an appointment with philly traffic court on the 25th of Aug. at 10am. Here is what happened which led to the $300 parking violation. In early Feb. of this year I sent out my renewal for my disability placard, which was due to expire at end of March. The timeline Penndot gave me on the instruction sheet said it would take 6-8 weeks to process. So I figured early feb to end of march fits perfectly 6-8 weeks timeline and that I should have my new placard by then. Forward to may and I still didn't get my renewed placard. I didn't worry about it because I rarely use it. However, in late may I needed it to park on a saturday at school because we were going to do paintball in nj for the entire day. There was no where to park for free but meters and handicapp spot. So I chose to park in handicap spot with my expired tag hung on rear view mirror. I was hoping the ticket guy would see my placard and although it expired for 2 months at least cut me a break or something. When I came back from paintballing in the evening, that's when I found out he wrote me up for $300. I appealed and will have a court date as mentioned on above date. My question is how should I argue this? I can bring evidence, witness and so forth. I plan on bringing the renewed plate they finally sent to me in June or July, well over the 6-8 months processing period that started in february. What do u guys think of my chances? How should I approach this? I was going to get a ticket either way because there was no way I could have fed the meter every hour because I was at the event in nj. Could I argue that it wasn't my fault because they didn't process my renewal on time because or else I could have used the new plate had it arrived in time. I think they should extend a courtesy of usage to about 3 months after expiration to give people more time to sort out processing issues if it comes up. Please, in desperate need of legal advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV. . .

DO NOT bring up why you were there, kinda distracts from the fact that you need the placard.

Show up with a copy of the voided check that shows when you sent it, as well as the new placard. IF there was any dated material that came with the new placard, bring that as well. Stick to just those items, and it SHOULD be a show and dismiss.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I haven't payed yet, that's y i am appealing. in pa you don't have to pay yet until the hearing and they find u at fault will the amount be due at that time. however, i do have the new placard with the original envelope and material but i can't seem to find a date of delivery anywhere in or outside the envelope.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

But you do have the check from when you paid for the new placard, right? It might be worth it if you have to get a copy from your bank. That would show that you sent (and hopefully the state cashed) in a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
goowatchi
Chairman of the Board.
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I agree, as long as you show the judge the proper documents and paper work, the case should get dismissed.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'll be the first to say it..

What the hell are you doing playing paintball if you are handicapped?
________
R12
________
grilling steaks
________
Ford transit connect history

Last edited by stimpy; 02-18-2011 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post

12-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post

WTF?!?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What's so surprising? I am trying to figure out a condition where a guy can move up and down a field and play paintball but can't park a couple extra spaces away?

If there's one I'm not thinking of, I'll gladly apologize :P
________
GSX-R1000
________
CB1300
________
JUGGALO

Last edited by stimpy; 02-18-2011 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0