E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alpina d3 touring

07-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Alpina d3 touring

Hi what do you guys think of the ALPINA D3 in touring guise ??? Now this car is nice but is it worth the money ,could i expect a reasonable discount ? .

I am sure some one has a informed opinion .I have to decide asap as i will need a car shortly

I just rad that it can take 6 months to get the alpina ,if thats so its a no go ,but i would love one

THE good news is SYTNER HAROLD WOOD is a agent and Darren edwards who is now using the forum is there BMW franchise director
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

I like the engine, but I'm not a fan of the styling changes.

I also read that unless you take it "as it comes" you have to pay £1500 on top of any extras. Note that I think Alpina take an ES as a base so they have manual A/C etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Autocar have been running one as a long termer, they also ran the coupe before it. The reviews have been very positive.

I've always noticed the manual A/C in the Autocar pictures!
      07-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I contemplated on this model last year. Was disappointed by some items you get in an M Sport and not on the Alpina due to the fact they start with an ES or SE base model before 'tuning'.

Some points I noticed

Long throw gear lever rather than the short M version
Manual a/c
No black headlining as in the M
High cost and limited options

However the Alpina wheels look lovely on the road. The Alpina dials and trims look good. 200 bhp standard, although a box or remap can sort that on the 177bhp M Sport

For me the M Sport came with better options on standard and the cost of options were better. I'd go for a new 'business edition' of the M Sport If I were choosing again. My lease cost was far lower for the M over the Alpina which also swung it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

i know im chiming in from the other side of the pond, but i couldnt help it- i love alpinas. i always thought that if individuality is your main thing thats the car for you. do you guys see alot of them on your roads. we've only got the B7. theres one in my neighborhood in black with beige. my jaw dropped when he pulled into the gas station i was at. I love that green thats offered.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
onejohnsheridan
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 Alpina D3

Garage List
2007 E91 Alpina D3  [0.00]
2005 320D SE  [0.00]
As an owner of a D3 Touring I'd like to put my (biased) spin on this.

I moved from a 320d SE which I owned for 3 years. This was my first introduction to BMW and loved every minute of ownership.

After about 1 year Alpina launched the D3. The list price was comparative to what I paid for my 320d (which was fairly basic having bigger wheels & leather as options). The D3 is based on the ES so don't expect oodles of kit. The spec was fixed and to make any changes required a £2000 surcharge (+ the cost of the optional equipment).

I took a test drive and was smitten. The changes made to the setup just made the car that bit better. Comparing the cars just didn't balance up for me, the D3 was streets ahead. The car feels far more balanced both at speed and when cornering.

When the time came to change it was a case of my heart and my head fighting it out to see who would win. My heart won and I purchased my D3.

I love it.

I love the fact that it is a little different.

I have just two annoyances with the car:

1. At first I really missed the Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror. I'd forgotten how much badly adjusted lights annoyed me. Oh, and others driving around with frickin fog lights on too.

2. There is no 12v socket in the front ashtray.

That is all.

In every other respect the car ticks all the right boxes for me.

I appreciate that it is not to everyones taste and I suggest that if you are a 'gadget man' then it is perhaps not the car for you.

The D3 was replaced by the D3 Bi-Turbo with the engine from the 123d. The car now comes with a bit more kit but is priced accordingly. I wouldn't expect too much discount as it's a niche market and production numbers are low.

As I understand it the reduced production of the D3 versus the rest of the range may mean that you have to wait a little longer. If you've weighed everything up and the car is right for you then it is worth the wait.

I'm not too sure that having someone who works for Sytner present on this forum would make one bit of difference. He is clearly capable of good customer service but is his presence on the forum going to result in us all getting cracking deals on our next cars? I doubt it.

If you go for the car then I am sure it will give you some pleasurable experiences. Would an alternative equally give you pleasurable experience. Probably. You have to weigh up what you want in a motor and then decide.

I vote for the D3, but then I would wouldn't I?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

scoob the alpina will be dynamically better than the M sport eqivilant. Proved many many times, great cars. still a bit pricey for my liking though..

you have absolutely NO CHANCE of getting a discount on any new ALPINA ever!!!
      07-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Alpina discount is no go, they are made to order and there is a 6 month wait so why would they??

It uses the Bilstein struts off the m-sport with the eibach supplied springs from the 330xd and proper tyres in an oversized profile, so you get far more comfort, less skipping at the back and more bite into corners, it handles wonderfully whether crusing or pressing on.
It is a very nice car, it holds its money better than the M-Sport so that balances out the lack of discount.

You will probably never see another on the road in the same colour as yours and it feels different and a bit special.

My only gripe is why the hell didn't they add proper climate and nav as standard, you can add Nav from BMW for around £1400 with all the offers so I'm sure it would cost Alpina no more than this, the climate is a £300 option.

Touring at £32k with manual climate and no options sounds expensive, at £33500 with nav sounds a lot more reasonable and starts to make sense.
I would retrofit it if I were to buy one.

I had a long argument about this as I had my name down for one, the sales guy insited that nav was not wanted, however, I then pointed out that Sytner pulled out of buying my 320d m-sport touring when they realised that didn't have nav, he went very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

There is at least 3 sat @ Sytners Notts,lovely looking things you dont buy because of spec but that its an ALPINA

Nice Choice
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Scooba mate, you need to make up your mind....Beemers...audis....mercs....Alpinas....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Edition Sport

Quote:
I'm not too sure that having someone who works for Sytner present on this forum would make one bit of difference. He is clearly capable of good customer service but is his presence on the forum going to result in us all getting cracking deals on our next cars? I doubt it.
Is that a challenge?

Always happy to be put to the test...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Edwards @ Sytner View Post
Is that a challenge?

Any chance of a deal on a lightly used GT3

and i will never slag shitners off again
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep

Squeeze...

YHM

Darren
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Squeeze...

YHM

Darren
Oh feck me not another Interfraction
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Exclamation

Quote:
Is that a challenge?

Quote:
Squeeze...

YHM

Darren
I'm a little concerned about some threads which have appeared regarding the offers made by Harold Wood & Sytner, as I need to consider the potential non-sponsor advertising which may be taking place via members on behalf of the business.

Darren, expect a PM from me in your mailbox sometime soon.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
      07-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #18
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Well, Chris O'Dea at Derek Woodman BMW has been trying to setup a sponsorship arrangement with this forum but hasn't been able to because none of the people involved in this from the Yank side of the pond has bothered to get back to him.

He was in first, so if your in the mood to sort any sponsorship agreements out Viv, Give Chris a call and get the ball rolling.
      07-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep

Point taken Viv.

Certainly don't want to overstep the mark, So will avoid getting involved in any "deal" related posts from now on.

My primary reason for being here is to assist members who may be having issues with our dealers....

Must be honest though, ...I find it ...challenging...to read posts that relate to potential purchases/ servicing queries, knowing that I may be able to assist and stay quiet.

But I will from now on.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Point taken Viv.

Certainly don't want to overstep the mark, So will avoid getting involved in any "deal" related posts from now on.

My primary reason for being here is to assist members who may be having issues with our dealers....

Must be honest though, ...I find it ...challenging...to read posts that relate to potential purchases/ servicing queries, knowing that I may be able to assist and stay quiet.

But I will from now on.

Keep up the good work ,I for one apprecates any help from someone who clearly wants to do there best for both customer and there company .makes a nice change
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

People know how to PM Darren if they want to talk to him off the public radar for other matters...

But i think his presence here is a great thing for the forum users for a range of reasons, and i hope he sticks around for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
scoob the alpina will be dynamically better than the M sport eqivilant. Proved many many times, great cars. still a bit pricey for my liking though..

you have absolutely NO CHANCE of getting a discount on any new ALPINA ever!!!
Hi well no chance of a discount.How about £500 as a starting point and i am sure i could have got more .If you want to know where PM as it seams there is a problem with posting who at present
Appreciate 0