E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A few questions about misfires.....

11-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6MT Black

A few questions about misfires.....

So I recently had my car dynoed and was not impressed with the numbers 338rwhp and 360wtq... I have had misfires in cylinder 1 for a while before the dyno, so it was recommended that I change the spark plugs..
Ok, I did that and still had misfires..So I swapped the ignition coil from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2 and still had the misfires in cylinder 1. Now it must be the injector in cylinder 1, at least I hope...could it be anything else?

My big question though is why is it that I can drive for a day with no misfire codes popping up? What does that mean, is my car basically running on 5 cylinders until I solve the misfire issue? The car pulls the same when there is a misfire code present as it does when there is not..

Should I expect to see a big performance gain "+40rwhp" once I change the injector if that is the cause? That would only make sense to me if my car really is working on 5 cylinders 100% of the time right now, and then gains another cylinder after the injector is replaced..

Thoughts?

Last edited by Malaka1; 11-07-2009 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Nobody else has ever had any of these questions when their cars were misfiring??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
I have misfire in cylinder 6 and haven't been able to get it fixed. Even with a new injector I highly doubt your gonna gain 40hp. You know that your screen name is a bad word in greek, right? lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

This is a tough touchy subject! Do a search of threads by myself. I went through a ton of things and in the end switched tunes and it's been pretty rock solid after that!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I have misfire in cylinder 6 and haven't been able to get it fixed. Even with a new injector I highly doubt your gonna gain 40hp. You know that your screen name is a bad word in greek, right? lol
Have you had your car dynoed?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
This is a tough touchy subject! Do a search of threads by myself. I went through a ton of things and in the end switched tunes and it's been pretty rock solid after that!
I was following the thread that you made.. But I am 6mt which could make a difference in the reasons for misfire, and I would consider trying a JB3 if it could remove my 135mph limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka1 View Post
Have you had your car dynoed?
Nope, not yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Should I expect to see a big performance gain "+40rwhp" once I change the injector if that is the cause? That would only make sense to me if my car really is working on 5 cylinders 100% of the time right now, and then gains another cylinder after the injector is replaced..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

No.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
No.
Well Shiv responded to a previous thread of mine stating,

"if you're misfiring, you need to change your plugs. And you'll be happy with the results after that. Pretty simple. Don't despair."

That was in response to my low dyno readings.. so doesn't that mean fix the misfire and start making the power that all the other Stage 2 cars are making which is about +40rwhp??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was following the thread that you made.. But I am 6mt which could make a difference in the reasons for misfire, and I would consider trying a JB3 if it could remove my 135mph limiter.
I would like to work with procede but i was so sick of misfires and always thinking its my car. Until this gets sorted out, i'm not going back to procede. (I'm keeping it still). TO ME, procede was too flakey. Some cars work great, some don't and there's no rhyme or reason. I always heard, its my car but surprisingly, i can run a different one, high power/ boost and have no issues. I haven't run the speed limiter yet but i have the sports package so my limit is higher.

On a different note, did you try injector cleaner? I heard it helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I would like to work with procede but i was so sick of misfires and always thinking its my car. Until this gets sorted out, i'm not going back to procede. (I'm keeping it still). TO ME, procede was too flakey. Some cars work great, some don't and there's no rhyme or reason. I always heard, its my car but surprisingly, i can run a different one, high power/ boost and have no issues. I haven't run the speed limiter yet but i have the sports package so my limit is higher.

On a different note, did you try injector cleaner? I heard it helps!
No, I have not tried injector cleaner.. maybe I will give that a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I believe his statement is being mis-interpreted.

Yes, you need to fix the misfire. Once you fix it, you may make more power or may not. Technically, you are not running on 5 cylinders. You are running 6 cylinders. Its just when you push the limits, you have a misfire on 1 cyl. On the dyno, it should show a steady rise and then a drop when it misfires. This drops the power.

Its unfair to compare a dyno when your car isn't running right to begin with. I believe what Shiv is saying is that you should change your plugs, which should solve your issue. Once your issue is solved, you will make more power. Now the exact power number is not known until you actually try it. If you are like me, i was never able to fully take advantage of raising the stage maps so i didn't make more power but in my case, i could never solve my misfire issue with procede on the car.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Quote:
Well Shiv responded to a previous thread of mine stating,

"if you're misfiring, you need to change your plugs. And you'll be happy with the results after that. Pretty simple. Don't despair."

That was in response to my low dyno readings.. so doesn't that mean fix the misfire and start making the power that all the other Stage 2 cars are making which is about +40rwhp??
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Malaka1
General
United_States
Rep

So if I do correct the misfire and that doesn't give me any extra power, than what else could be the cause of my low dyno numbers?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Clear all codes, remove the Procede, run the car a few days, see if there are any codes.

This way you can see if its the car or the Procede.

I did this a couple of days ago because I was having the misfire problems even with the new Beta maps.

So far after 3 days of cold starts and running very hard, I haven't had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I still get a misfire easily reproducible but am working with Shiv on addressing it. This is on latest 11-2 stage 3 6mt map but not there on stock tune.

Why does the car in my case change sound and lose power when this happens? Only happens in 3rd gear Only when WOTing and it's always cylinder 4.

To describe the sound the car makes it goes

Psssssssssst (boost from about 2500rpm) and then a few sporadic oscillations in power by 5000rpm and then all of a sudden the car sound changes to a very mehanical throaty vrrrrrrrr sound.

Stays like that for about 2 minutes of driving with HEL and CEL on and the code BUT then lights suddenly go away on their own and the car continues driving normally again. The sound, vrrrrrrr, when it happened the first time I shit my pants as I thought I busted something really serious. Also when it does happen it's loudest on low rpms and is there only when I press on throttle not when I let go of it.

At the moment I can't WOT the car in 3rd without hitting into this, very reproducible.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Like I said, try it stock to see if its the car or the Procede.

In my case, it was the Procede and the problems did not occur with the JB3 but it might be different in your cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #18
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I did run stock (took procede out), and there was no issues stock. Shiv is helping sort this out BUT

I'd like to find out what the vrrrrrrr sound that happens at time of misfire is all about. Were you getting that as well at the time of limp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Like I said, try it stock to see if its the car or the Procede.

In my case, it was the Procede and the problems did not occur with the JB3 but it might be different in your cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

The vrrr sound is because of the missing cylinder under load, it sounds normal when you let off because it is just rotating with no load so there isn't any misfire. If you have fresh plugs then the misfire is fuel related, could be a problem with the a/f ratio on that map. Also a boost leak can cause an ultra-rich condition that could cause some misfire under heavy throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Clear all codes, remove the Procede, run the car a few days, see if there are any codes.

This way you can see if its the car or the Procede.

I did this a couple of days ago because I was having the misfire problems even with the new Beta maps.

So far after 3 days of cold starts and running very hard, I haven't had any problems.
You don't really need to pull procede out! Just try valet mode. In my car, I had no issues in valet mode. I would also test stage 1 maps. In my case, stage 1 worked fine too. It seemed stage 2 and stage 3 wouldn't work
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I did run stock (took procede out), and there was no issues stock. Shiv is helping sort this out BUT

I'd like to find out what the vrrrrrrr sound that happens at time of misfire is all about. Were you getting that as well at the time of limp?
That pretty much sums up the misfire limp! A real growl and no power or a lot less. After a few minutes, cars dme does a diagnostic check, finds no fault, restores all power.

In my case, it was high rpm, over 6000rpm, always.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #22
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for clarifying the sound part.

Plugs are original since I got the car (have almost 50,000kms, 31000 miles on them). I've sent my datalogs over to Shiv for him to have a look to see if its air/fuel ratio related to the map which I really suspect is the case as car runs perfect stock (procede taken out).

In terms of boost leak, misfire does seem to happen only under full boost applied in 3rd gear starting early from below 3000rpm. If I'm in any other gear or even if I WOT in 3rd but above 3500rpm it seems to be not LONG enough on full boost to induce this misfire. I looked at a procede datalog and it shows consistent boost at around 15-16 when WOT for the duration of the run and this is why I don't think its a boost leak as I think it should've been visible in the datalog, no?

Another thing to mention is just before this misfire happens, there are sometimes multiple popping sounds from the back (exhaust) and a few oscillations in power and then the codes happen with the vrrrr sound...Does this sound like air/fuel gets too rich/lean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
The vrrr sound is because of the missing cylinder under load, it sounds normal when you let off because it is just rotating with no load so there isn't any misfire. If you have fresh plugs then the misfire is fuel related, could be a problem with the a/f ratio on that map. Also a boost leak can cause an ultra-rich condition that could cause some misfire under heavy throttle.
Appreciate 0