E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

07-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #727
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
i have a 2oo8 328i... and ive had this ticking the past few weeks. someone JUST referenced me to this thread. i have a soft tick on idle, on start up... when i rev up, the ticking does too.

this thread doesnt have me all that optimistic.

fu@k.
I believe I referenced you here. Sorry Haywire but this is what it is. I just recently bought 2008 328i and it has the same ticking as my previous 325i. I do not even bother to go to the dealership for repairs. It seems it is just the way the engine is designed. Many of the new loners that I have been getting when my previous car was in service (oil change, etc.) also had the same ticking. I don’t know what else to tell you, I don’t see any solution to this problem.
      07-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #728
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

There has to be something that can be done if the components are faulty... is there any long term potential damage from this condition outside of what BMW has reported. Because if there are issues, thats a breach as far as im concerned and i would be looking to be compensated with at LEAST an extended warranty.

My ticking is very soft, can only really hear it when im in a drive thru or idling with the windows open at a quiet intersection. other than that, i cant hear it when my windows are closed...but if its going to progress into something anywhere near the video clip i saw, there are going to be some problems.

if mine stays the way it is....i can handle that. anything more, ill be RIGHT pissed!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #729
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep

I believe it might get louder when weather becomes colder.
      07-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #730
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
There has to be something that can be done if the components are faulty... is there any long term potential damage from this condition outside of what BMW has reported. Because if there are issues, thats a breach as far as im concerned and i would be looking to be compensated with at LEAST an extended warranty.

My ticking is very soft, can only really hear it when im in a drive thru or idling with the windows open at a quiet intersection. other than that, i cant hear it when my windows are closed...but if its going to progress into something anywhere near the video clip i saw, there are going to be some problems.

if mine stays the way it is....i can handle that. anything more, ill be RIGHT pissed!
After reading almost every post on this thread, there have been two incidents where BMW bought back the vehicles. I guess that was due to the carelessness of the dealerships. I haven't heard or read of any cars fail due to the ticking all though there are suggestions that the ticking could potentially cause long term damage to several engine components which is yet to be confirmed.

My ticking has gotten extremely loud and it is present whether the engine is cold or warm. I sent an e-mail to my SA with videos that have the ticking noise but he never responded. I have an appointment scheduled for the 16th. Hopefully they will take care of my car and replace the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #731
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
After reading almost every post on this thread, there have been two incidents where BMW bought back the vehicles. I guess that was due to the carelessness of the dealerships. I haven't heard or read of any cars fail due to the ticking all though there are suggestions that the ticking could potentially cause long term damage to several engine components which is yet to be confirmed.

My ticking has gotten extremely loud and it is present whether the engine is cold or warm. I sent an e-mail to my SA with videos that have the ticking noise but he never responded. I have an appointment scheduled for the 16th. Hopefully they will take care of my car and replace the cylinder head.
I read a LOT of this thread as well... didnt catch the buy backs tho, altho i did catch a lot of replacements that eventually went to the shits!

It serves BMW well to say "its normal" which i think is complete bullshit, im pretty sure an engine is supposed to run WITHOUT a ticking noise. If they acknowledged that it was a REAL problem, someones neck would be on the line...not to mention how much money for recalls and replacement parts.

my car is 2 months old, i dont WANT a new head...i dont WANT any engine work. I want the ENTIRE car working properly from the get go, especially if parts in the engine might have already been compromised. Furthermore, i would have to wait 4 fu@king months for it to get to me...thats garbage. unless I just drive it til the winter, give it back...then get it in the spring (hey, not such a bad plan!)

as mentioned previously by me... if i no choice but to keep this car, it better be with AN EXTENDED WARRANTY (on the dealer) cause if i have any problems after my 4years, im not going to get stuck with the flippin bill, thats fu@king garbage!

Let me know how your appointment goes, and ill probably follow a similar path...the fact that we are both having the same problem at the same time will help me in my decision process.

Thanks for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #732
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi Special Edition

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
The only thing I don't understand is why does it only happen on 325/328/330 and not the 335. The 335 does have a hint of valve chatter, but that is normal. I haven't heard anyone else that owns a 335 with this metallic ticking issue, nor any of the 335s that I have driven, and *knock on wood, my 335 replacement.

'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R ABS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #733
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

I remember seeing a 335 with the same diesel ticking on youtube.

I took my 330i back to my stealership and all they did was rev'ed the sh*t out of my car. I am now reluctant to take my car back for this issue. I would rather keep my car at lower gear above 3k RPM than letting those ppl rev the sh*t out of it.

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #734
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerx View Post
I remember seeing a 335 with the same diesel ticking on youtube.

I took my 330i back to my stealership and all they did was rev'ed the sh*t out of my car. I am now reluctant to take my car back for this issue. I would rather keep my car at lower gear above 3k RPM than letting those ppl rev the sh*t out of it.
I feel the same way, i rather the dealership touch my car as LITTLE as possible over my ownership of the vehicle. I dont want them in it, around it...anything really. outside of opening the hood and changing my oil, stay the fu@k away from my car!

The rev'in bullshi@t is nothing but doing what the car usually does on its own, the sound sometimes DRIVES out in the earlier stages from what i have read to this point. can you imagine, 15 minutes...a few intervals of that bullshiat on your car. SCREW THAT SHI@T.

they supplying you with gas after all of that trash....highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #735
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
The only thing I don't understand is why does it only happen on 325/328/330 and not the 335. The 335 does have a hint of valve chatter, but that is normal. I haven't heard anyone else that owns a 335 with this metallic ticking issue, nor any of the 335s that I have driven, and *knock on wood, my 335 replacement.
hey Xtype, u finally get rid of ur 330 and outta this ticking nightmare. Enjoy ur 335!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #736
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep

What’s the difference: 335, 328??? Are we now choosing between chronic ticking noise and chronic fuel pump failure? It is a valid question why 335 does not have and 328(325) has ticking noise. Hope someone can give a technical understandable answer. But for now it is just choosing between two problems: do you wanna listen to the ticking or you wanna be changing fuel pumps... sad but true...
      07-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #737
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I get this on an off. It doesn't seem to affect the power though and everything else is fine, it is just annoying. I am glad I am not the old one with this problem. A friend who heard the noise said some mates with E46s had the exact same problem... My car is going soon, so I am not going to get it looked into, but will be on to it immediately if the new one displays this problem.

I find it happens most reliably if I have been for a long country drive and the car cools over night, the next morning the ticking is there.
      07-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #738
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90David View Post
I've noticed that my car makes a ticking noise when idling \/\/ VIDEO \/\/

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=38318652

It might also do it as I drive it but I'm unsure because my exhaust sound might be covering it up. Can any one help?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156200

take a look through the last few pages of this thread and you will see some posts on possible help for your car. if you bring it to the dealership, they are basically just going to REV your engine over and over til the ticking is gone...which is stupid, because it usually drives out (at least it does for me)

my ticking has gone away for now, and hopefully it stays gone...but right when i fire up my engine, i can hear it then it quickly disappears. and it better, or ill KICK IT IN THE FACE!

LoL.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #739
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I'm taking my car in on Wednesday. They did the procedure in the SIB once already and I hope they fix it right instead of following the stupid SIB procedure again.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #740
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Took my car in today and my SA had me talk to a service tech who seemed quite knowledgable about the whole issue. I told him that the bleeding procedure was done once and I still had the ticking and showed him a video on my cell phone with the ticking noise so loud that everyone in the hall started looking at us.

He told me that it was a known issue and had not heard of any failures b/c of it. They were gonna open the engine, analyze the issue, report it to BMW, button up the engine, order the new cylinder head/other components and let me drive my car until the new head came in. He was speculating that the head could be 3 - 4 weeks out but I've read as much delay as 4 months.

I hope they get the parts in soon and fix this issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #741
Haywire
Canada
Rep

well thats great man, its nice when "they know" what youre talking about....and its awesome that youre going to have your shi@t replaced (especially because it sounds like the noise was pretty extreme)

BUT:

from what ive read on this issue so far, it might go away for a bit...but you might hear it again, but it might be much more subtle. not to say that its a GUARANTEE that its going to pop up again, but just some information so youre not pop'n blood vessels if you were to ever hear the clicking sound again

again, congrats and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #742
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
well thats great man, its nice when "they know" what youre talking about....and its awesome that youre going to have your shi@t replaced (especially because it sounds like the noise was pretty extreme)

BUT:

from what ive read on this issue so far, it might go away for a bit...but you might hear it again, but it might be much more subtle. not to say that its a GUARANTEE that its going to pop up again, but just some information so youre not pop'n blood vessels if you were to ever hear the clicking sound again

again, congrats and good luck.

I'm hoping it doesn't return and I have read almost every post on this thread and AFAIK there is no mention of the ticking noise returning after the head replacement. However, there were a couple of instances where the dealerships didn't do a good job with the replacement which caused the gaskets to leak (if I remember right) and BMW bought back the cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #743
tcf11
Rep
Drives: bmw 323i

HI guys, I am glad I found this site.
Just bought a 323I sedan and found the engine was a bit rough.
It has this ticking sound but not as loud as what being posted on the site.
But one thing I know for sure it does sound like a sewing machine.
Do you guys know if there is a site that show what a E90 machine should sound like?
Mine is Aussie E90 323I, will it be the same as your E90? It only has 100km on it. May be I should wait??
Anyway, I will try to attach a video for you guys to comment.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #744
Haywire
Canada
Rep

"A sewing machine" <------- perfect description, ive used "two dimes clacking together, lol" thats exactly how mine sounded, then it stopped....so far it hasnt come back but i can hear it on startup.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #745
tcf11
Rep

Haywire,
how long did you have to drive before it stops?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #746
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcf11 View Post
Haywire,
how long did you have to drive before it stops?
Ive had my ride for about 3 months now, i noticed it within the first couple of weeks when i was going through a drive in and i could hear the ticking echoing off the walls...so it was very subtle. soon after that, the ticking could be heard when i was at stop lights...now its just when i start the car (press the ignition button) once i back up, the ticking is gone and im on my way.

as far as how long the ticking would stick around while i was driving the car...i would say after a few minutes of highway driving...when the car heated up a tad, which is what the dealerships do to try and remedy the problem...which is why its really not a REMEDY at all, they are simply going through the motions.

sometimes i would make it all the way to work (2o minutes later) and the tick would still be around, but for the mostpart...it didnt stick around too long.

hope that WAY long answer helps lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #747
tcf11
Rep

Thanks for the explanation. It does help a lot.
I got annoyed by the noise, not so much while I was driving but when you stand beside it. It makes me wonder if they had given me the diesel version of the car. A 10 years old corolla sound better than mine.
Hope it will get better with time for yours and for mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #748
Haywire
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcf11 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It does help a lot.
I got annoyed by the noise, not so much while I was driving but when you stand beside it. It makes me wonder if they had given me the diesel version of the car. A 10 years old corolla sound better than mine.
Hope it will get better with time for yours and for mine.
....go figure, got some ticking today while driving. bastard! stuck around a lot longer than warm up. bad Karma, or should i say CARMA, bwhahahahaa.

fu@k.

LoL.
Appreciate 0