E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)

05-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #177
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I just replaced the water pump in the car.....works great and the BavAuto DIY helped immensely! Only issue is that when they ask you to remove the power steering line bolts to move them out of the way (item 4 in the drawing below) I stripped the rubber thingy that separates the power steering lines from, I think, the chassis. The bolt (number 4) goes right through this rubber piece and there are two of them.

Can someone tell me what this part number is for the rubber thing? It's not in any drawings I can find.

Thanks a ton!!!
I can't find a diagram listing the part number either. Try posting the question on the General E90x forum. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #178
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, Cobb AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I just replaced the water pump in the car.....works great and the BavAuto DIY helped immensely! Only issue is that when they ask you to remove the power steering line bolts to move them out of the way (item 4 in the drawing below) I stripped the rubber thingy that separates the power steering lines from, I think, the chassis. The bolt (number 4) goes right through this rubber piece and there are two of them.

Can someone tell me what this part number is for the rubber thing? It's not in any drawings I can find.

Thanks a ton!!!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...43&hg=32&fg=20

This is a better view...it's the "rubber isolater" he talks about at the 3:10 in this video:

I did the same thing. The part number is the entire hose unit.
I tied it together with a large hose clamp.

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #179
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Thanks guys. $230 isn't worth it for that piece...I'll just see if I can fabricate something myself then.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #180
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

hmm, since this is sort of the DIY waterpump mecca...

has anyone here considered hacking together a cooling system for the water pump's electronics? since that's what fails
possibly some small fans that blow across the pump's backside and keep temperatures down? or some kind of simple liquid cooling system like what's on a high end gaming PC?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #181
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep

I was going to open up the old pump to see what failed but just tossed it since I was so sick of doing this freaking job!

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #182
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
I was going to open up the old pump to see what failed but just tossed it since I was so sick of doing this freaking job!
Haha! I did the exact same thing. I should have kept it until I had some time to focus again. I did notice that the plastic cowling was cracked but not sure of the condition of the impeller.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #183
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Haha! I did the exact same thing. I should have kept it until I had some time to focus again. I did notice that the plastic cowling was cracked but not sure of the condition of the impeller.
Did everything exactly as the video and it took 3 hours on a lift from set up to clean up. Got 90k of my pump so can't complain hope to get the same with the new one. It was also the older style pump with the aluminum thermostat. Planning on breaking it open out of curiosity but from the outside everything looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #184
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3ss View Post
Did everything exactly as the video and it took 3 hours on a lift from set up to clean up. Got 90k of my pump so can't complain hope to get the same with the new one. It was also the older style pump with the aluminum thermostat. Planning on breaking it open out of curiosity but from the outside everything looks good.
please do crack it open, in particular, check over the electronics thoroughly (and possibly post pix), since everyone seems to imply that's the sole failure point
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #185
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
please do crack it open, in particular, check over the electronics thoroughly (and possibly post pix), since everyone seems to imply that's the sole failure point
I think they fail when the electronics get wet due to failing gasket or a crack in the housing. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #186
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep

I did notice upon removal a circle gasket that goes around the impeller was in two pieces fwiw..

'11 E92, MSport
3 Pedal 3.1L Stroker Z
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #187
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

amazing write up. you give me the confidence i need to do this... how wet did you get with radiator fluids... i have been wanting to do a flush but might as well do it while i do this. and might as well throw some upgraded turbos in while im at it... yep.. i think ill be in the garage for a few days...
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #188
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorbmwpower View Post
amazing write up. you give me the confidence i need to do this... how wet did you get with radiator fluids... i have been wanting to do a flush but might as well do it while i do this. and might as well throw some upgraded turbos in while im at it... yep.. i think ill be in the garage for a few days...
Patience and time is all it takes and a bit of strength when removing the plastic hose connections. There is very little mess as long as you have a catch basin and towels. Just don’t position yourself so that you’re looking directly up at your work while disconnecting hoses. All the best.
PS: Does a turbo upgrade DIY exist? If not you should write one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #189
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

I think i will. there are some but none are all that extensive. I think there is a reason for that. it quite possibly will be a 10 hour job. But we will see ill have 6 hands on the vehicle doing 3 different upgrades so it would be crazy but maybe. Custom making an oil cooler, tranny cool walnut shell blasting, running new meth system components and SS meth lines, possibly an upgraded HPFP, and this all at the same time... sooo yeah lol
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #190
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Just did mine, DIY was great and BAV Auto videos were very helpful also. Took about 4 hours probably end to end - really isn't too hard, just lot's of stuff in the way and it is fidly especially the top nut.

Just an FYI for you E93 people, you have to remove the front cross braces, 4 bolts each and then pull them out completely to get them out of the way (you actually probably only need to remove the passenger side in actuality.

Hopefully this new and improved (meaning not a POS that breaks on every car) will last the life of the car now - Mine went at 6 years and 18k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #191
oceanus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

plastic connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Patience and time is all it takes and a bit of strength when removing the plastic hose connections. There is very little mess as long as you have a catch basin and towels. Just don’t position yourself so that you’re looking directly up at your work while disconnecting hoses. All the best.
PS: Does a turbo upgrade DIY exist? If not you should write one.
Hi, I'm in the middle of taking the pump out, and get stuck by the bigger hard plastic hose connected to the thermostat. I've already pulled the wire clip out, but just can't pull the hose out. As you said, it is supposed to be a hard part, so any suggestion?
Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #192
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

It's been a while since I did mine, so I might be remembering this wrong. What I ended up doing was taking off all the other hoses and bolts that connect the pump and thermostat to everything, so it was loose except for that 1 plastic hose with the wire clip. Wiggle the entire thing around so you can see and/or get a better grip on that hose and pull it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #193
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanus View Post
Hi, I'm in the middle of taking the pump out, and get stuck by the bigger hard plastic hose connected to the thermostat. I've already pulled the wire clip out, but just can't pull the hose out. As you said, it is supposed to be a hard part, so any suggestion?
Thank you very much!
The trick is to position yourself to get the best grip and leverage on the hose. Try grabbing from the front end if you can and then firmly wiggle the hose up and down and side to side. It took me about 5 minutes of this to get it loose. Don't exhaust yourself and only begin pulling when you think the seal has been broken. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #194
Grgeorge81
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

In the middle of a waterpump/thermostat replacement on a 2007 335i with 124,000. First time pump has failed to my knowledge (bought CPO in 2011 - Service tech shared service history with me briefly while I was there for walnut blasting intakes, didn't notice any water pump issues). So got a lot more out of the pump than some on this forum apparently, though car has not been driven hard at all - 120 mile round trip daily commute for past 3 years, literally all open highway, so run up to 70mph and cruise for an hour each way. Push it on some twisty back roads on occasion, but has been relatively pampered - I almost feel bad, this car definitely feels like it WANTS to be driven hard sometimes.

Anyway, the reason for posting is that I noticed some metal fragments in the impeller of the water pump after removing. I have been reading than many attribute the premature failure of these pumps to something electronic or possible moisture penetrating into the internal circuitry, or even excessive heat causing electrical failure. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed metal shards in impeller, and if maybe this was actually a mechanical failure of some kind.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures -was late and I was exhausted from wrestling hoses and trying not to swallow antifreeze - but it was a circular piece of soft metal, very thin and pliable (no it isn't from the coolant bottle cap). Anyone else notice this upon removing pump?

And MANY THANKS to OP for the DIY, couldn't have gotten it out without this.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #195
E92Moe
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 auto

For those looking to buy Parts - I just purchased mine for 2007 335i
huskerparts was the cheapest for the Thermostat and Bolts

11 51 7 602 123 bolts x3 $2.97 (26mm)
11 51 7632 426 Waterpump $348.50 + $11.25 Shipping
11 53 7 549 476 (Wahler Thermostat) Was the cheapest from E-bay at $70

Total: $432 USD Shipped to the US ( I am Canadian but go back and forth to the US)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #196
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Thanks for the walk through! This and the Bav Motors YouTube video made this a fun job.. If only humans installed the original clamps on the hoses this coulda taken 1/2 the time!

Success is all that matters along with not going to the stealership!
Attached Images

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #197
hoopvillian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Couldn't have done it without this thread. I did waterpump first and then thermostat. Wasn't hard but it was time consuming, and my abs got a workout laying in the crunch position for so long.

Thanks OP for saving me money.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #198
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Piggyback tunes, Procede owner here, might want to read this...

I replaced my water pump a couple years ago while under warranty. The water pump completely died leaving me nearly stranded on the road. Luckily, I was very close to home. My dealer didn't change out the thermostat even though I made the request.

Fast forward to last year when problems arose once again. The main concern was my fan. It acted erratically and would come on full speed during long drives regardless of weather. By the time I'd reach my destination, my oil temps were so cold it didn't even register on the gauge... below 160 degrees. I figured my thermostat was stuck and showing signs of failure. If left alone, perhaps it would overtax my water pump and fan. So, I used this DIY and replaced the thermostat.

Problems continued! :/ Fan still acted erratically. Although my car never overheated, I didn't want to go on with these symptoms. After further investigation, I determined it must be my thermostat sensor. So, bought at fairly inexpensive part and made the swap. Problem still existed!

After all that, I yanked out the Procede just for the heck of it... or so I thought. The fan problem went away! I tested driving without the tune for 3 months and then reinstalled the tune again for nearly 3 months. The problem is now completely gone!

Something strange must have happened with the tune. I don't know enough about what Procede does with the ECU but I am now convinced it was the cause of my problem. Removing and reinstalling he piggyback must have reset it and solved the problem.

Hope this simple fix helps someone else! Had me flustered for nearly a year!
Appreciate 0