E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iPhone Snap-In Adapter Woes

10-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Angry iPhone Snap-In Adapter Woes

Hey all,

I am having a really tough time with my new '11 e92 coupe. I took delivery in August and at that time the iPhone Snap-In adapter did not work correctly. At first it would recognize and power up the phone but soon the connection would drop out and then come back (evidenced by music going away and the phone stopping charging). Eventually the adapter wouldn't recognize the phone at all.

I had set up an appointment to have a clear bra put on about a week later and decided to have them troubleshoot the issue then. They had the car for about a week trying to find the problem but were not able to solve the issue and needed to order parts from Germany with an ETA of 20+ days. They had me pick up the car and wait until they called me.

About a month later I hadn't heard back and tried emailing my SA. Must to my surprise the email bounced as undeliverable. It turns out my SA had "left to pursue other employment". I was given another SA to work with. They did not get back to me for about another week.

At this point I decided to take my car to a different dealership as this was getting out of hand. I dropped off the car last week Tuesday for them to fix the issue. I was informed upon dropping the car off that if they needed to reprogram it I would completely lose my BMW Apps functionality. After several days of troubleshooting at the new dealership they called me today to say that everything was fixed. They had replaced the combox and the snap-in adapter and all was well. I went down to the dealer and tried out the adapter and it seemed to work...at first. I did note that I did, indeed, lose my BMW Apps functionality but this was expected (although not really okay). On my way home the phone started dropping out again!

So at this point my BRAND NEW car is worse than it was before!! Not only did the snap-in adapter not work, now I have lost the BMW Apps functionality I had paid extra for when I bought it. I took the car back to the dealer and told them it was not fixed. Unfortunately my SA was out on vacation and won't be back until the 25th. I asked that the shop foreman call me tomorrow to discuss the issue.

I am really beginning to wonder if I have a lemon on my hands here. They can't seem to get a key functionality of the vehicle to operate correctly and over the course of their repairs have broken it further. I just want my car to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Hey all,

I am having a really tough time with my new '11 e92 coupe. I took delivery in August and at that time the iPhone Snap-In adapter did not work correctly. At first it would recognize and power up the phone but soon the connection would drop out and then come back (evidenced by music going away and the phone stopping charging). Eventually the adapter wouldn't recognize the phone at all.

I had set up an appointment to have a clear bra put on about a week later and decided to have them troubleshoot the issue then. They had the car for about a week trying to find the problem but were not able to solve the issue and needed to order parts from Germany with an ETA of 20+ days. They had me pick up the car and wait until they called me.

About a month later I hadn't heard back and tried emailing my SA. Must to my surprise the email bounced as undeliverable. It turns out my SA had "left to pursue other employment". I was given another SA to work with. They did not get back to me for about another week.

At this point I decided to take my car to a different dealership as this was getting out of hand. I dropped off the car last week Tuesday for them to fix the issue. I was informed upon dropping the car off that if they needed to reprogram it I would completely lose my BMW Apps functionality. After several days of troubleshooting at the new dealership they called me today to say that everything was fixed. They had replaced the combox and the snap-in adapter and all was well. I went down to the dealer and tried out the adapter and it seemed to work...at first. I did note that I did, indeed, lose my BMW Apps functionality but this was expected (although not really okay). On my way home the phone started dropping out again!

So at this point my BRAND NEW car is worse than it was before!! Not only did the snap-in adapter not work, now I have lost the BMW Apps functionality I had paid extra for when I bought it. I took the car back to the dealer and told them it was not fixed. Unfortunately my SA was out on vacation and won't be back until the 25th. I asked that the shop foreman call me tomorrow to discuss the issue.

I am really beginning to wonder if I have a lemon on my hands here. They can't seem to get a key functionality of the vehicle to operate correctly and over the course of their repairs have broken it further. I just want my car to work.
You went in twice. One more time then yes. Standard practice is 3 documented instances for the same issue. 4 or more wouldn't hurt
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not really looking to lemon the car. I ordered it back in May to my exact spec's and really do love the car overall. I am just concerned that this issue will keep popping up. The shop foreman called a little bit ago and he says he is doing an end-to-end check of a wire harness in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not really looking to lemon the car. I ordered it back in May to my exact spec's and really do love the car overall. I am just concerned that this issue will keep popping up. The shop foreman called a little bit ago and he says he is doing an end-to-end check of a wire harness in the car.

Yeah I feel you...but all my SoCal Lemon friends upgraded from 328/335s to M3s after lemoning.

I think there is some sort of incentive for your woes.

Since you paid for BMW APPs..you are entitled to it. You should not have to sacrifice. Don't let the dealer bully you.

I am so sick of this dealer bull-fucking shit.

Last time they said they would not release my car until I paid $1400 for their time. I asked for the manager and the manager quietly led me to my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

You guys are crazy talking about lemoning a car for a small loss of functionality, thats fixable.

One step at a time.

Try just using the the standard white ipod cable to USB port, and seeing if you can replicate the problem.

Theres a few things that could be going on here. Combox failure. Faulty wiring between combox and Cradle. Cradle and base plate (although sounds like they replaced that).

Also try another iphone. Look at the dock connector on the iphone itself. Its very very easy to accidentally bend any of those small pins, thus causing issues.

Do some troubleshooting to help your dealer. The more information you provide them, the easier it will be to fix. This isn't rocket science. The combox connections to the phone are very straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Do you have the correct part number for the snap-in adapter?

There are many versions, but only 1 that has BMW Apps functionality. The others are only for music or cell antenna extension.

If this is the case, then you did not lose BMW Apps functionality, like the other poster said, try it first with the white Apple cable directly into the arm rest USB port.
      10-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay, the car it currently at the dealer (I brought it back right after the issue arose again).

We have done all those troubleshooting steps. The dealer is able to replicate the problem with other iPhones. Before bringing the car in I was using the white iPhone USB cable to run BMW Apps just fine. The newest software they loaded completely removed the BMW Apps (ConnectedDrive and the iPod navigation) functionality from the car. The menus were completely different.

I do have the MEDIA adapter and have from the start. That little baby set me back ~$250 and has never worked right (hence this problem). The problem occurs like this. The phone will dock and charge fine at first and I can use it to play music. Then after about 5 minutes it will suddenly lose connection to the phone and the phone will stop charging. It will then bounce between connection and no connection every 30 seconds or so (mind you I haven't touched the phone this whole time). After a while it will simple lose the connection and never get it back (despite removing/replacing the phone in the adapter).

Right now I have no idea what could be wrong. They have replaced the:
- Base Plate
- Snap-In adapter
- Combox

About the only thing left is the wiring.

I am hopeful they can fix it. As I said; I would rather not lemon the car but as for this being a minor functionality issue. That is for me to say. I bought a $50k+ car and I personally feel that entitles me to a fully functional car. To include all features advertised and included. If they are unable to repair the car to my satisfaction, believe me, I will be discussing a replacement. I love BMW and this car is a blast to drive but I am not going to settle for partial functionality in and aspect.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am hopeful they can fix it. As I said; I would rather not lemon the car but as for this being a minor functionality issue. That is for me to say. I bought a $50k+ car and I personally feel that entitles me to a fully functional car. To include all features advertised and included. If they are unable to repair the car to my satisfaction, believe me, I will be discussing a replacement. I love BMW and this car is a blast to drive but I am not going to settle for partial functionality in and aspect.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

The loss of Apps and incorrect menus after programming is a screw up on their behalf when they loaded the new software. They didn't correctly code the car with the correct vehicle options. That's relatively easy to fix, although how they muddled that up in the first place doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

As for the other issue, the fact they have replaced the combox and the cradle/base plate suggests that the wiring harness between the two could be at fault unfortunately. There's no additional USB hub anymore, its just a direct connection from base plate to combox.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am hoping they can fix the Apps issue.

They called yesterday and said they are checking out the wiring harness now. They ordered a replacement just in case and they should know more late today. I am a little worried that if the harness ends up being bad it may have fried the replacement combox which seems to be a long lead part and could take a long time to get here.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

They called yesterday and said they are checking out the wiring harness now. They ordered a replacement just in case and they should know more late today. I am a little worried that if the harness ends up being bad it may have fried the replacement combox which seems to be a long lead part and could take a long time to get here.
Despite the hassle I think you should have stayed at your home dealership. You can negotiate for a nice loaner. Maybe you can here as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I see you in WA as well. Which dealership(s) are you using for this ....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I leased the car from Bellevue. I originally had the issue looked at there but they ignored me for a month so I decided to take it to Seattle. They have been working on it since Tuesday last week.

I picked up the car today. They were able to get the Snap-In adapter issue corrected. The shop foreman found that the wiring harness between the base plate in the armrest and the combox had been pinched. Since this is a shielded, four-conductor harness it was causing an intermittent dropout in communication. They replaced the harness and it works fine now.

Unfortunately now my BMW Apps (6NR option) no longer works. The shop foreman told me that this is a known issue with the current programming. He showed me the service bulletin which confirms this issue. He told me that they will not be able to get this functioning again until the next revision of the software is released which he says could be a couple months.

So at this point I have had the car for 2 months and it has not worked right the whole time. Now I have lost a functionality that I paid extra for!! I have sent an email to BMWNA to express my disappointment in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I leased the car from Bellevue. I originally had the issue looked at there but they ignored me for a month so I decided to take it to Seattle. They have been working on it since Tuesday last week.

I picked up the car today. They were able to get the Snap-In adapter issue corrected. The shop foreman found that the wiring harness between the base plate in the armrest and the combox had been pinched. Since this is a shielded, four-conductor harness it was causing an intermittent dropout in communication. They replaced the harness and it works fine now.

Unfortunately now my BMW Apps (6NR option) no longer works. The shop foreman told me that this is a known issue with the current programming. He showed me the service bulletin which confirms this issue. He told me that they will not be able to get this functioning again until the next revision of the software is released which he says could be a couple months.

So at this point I have had the car for 2 months and it has not worked right the whole time. Now I have lost a functionality that I paid extra for!! I have sent an email to BMWNA to express my disappointment in this situation.
Yes, I'm afraid unfortunate timing. It seems BMW are preparing a official retrofit of this option, and in doing so are locking the feature down with their standard FSC enabling codes, so what they are telling you is the official line.

No harm in explaining the situation to BMW NA. I'm sure they will make good on this.

At least the problem is solved though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #15
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's just it though. The problem is not fully fixed. I currently do not have an option I paid for and should be on the car. I wasn't given any decent eta either. I got a response from BMWNA basically telling me they don't know technical info like this and my dealer will be the only one who knows when this will be fixed. :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6 M

I have a problem with my bluetooth as well. I have a Blackberry Torch 9780. My phone drops the connection after 10 minutes of being connected. It has never worked well in this car, even with my previous Blackberry Bold 9700. My service advisor likes to argue with me apparently. He tells me that the reason it doesn't work is because my cellphone it is not under the correct BMW cellphone recommended to use in BMWUSA's website under Tmobile's list. However both of my cellphone's I've used are listed in the same website but with a different carrier (AT&T). They try to blame it on the fact that I'm using Tmobile carrier and that is it not a recommended phone by BMW. Altough the same exact phone is recommended with another carrier AT&T. I've had this discussion over and over with my service advisor and he keeps blaming it on the phone.

On my previous 2007 335i, my Blackberry worked flawlessly and connected itself every single time without ever having an issue with my phone. The same phone while I still had it, didn't work on my current 335i. My bluetooth has never work continuously. It may work for 10 minutes. Some times a few hours. But never a full day, and lately it doesn't work whatsoever. Sometimes my phone is not even on the paired phone's list.

I don't know how else to explain to this dealer that it's not the damn phone, it's the car! Come on!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #17
AcidLotus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i, 2014 640i

Could still be the phone. Have you tried upgrading the Blackberry OS, or downgrading it for that matter? If your friend's iPhone or Droid exhibits the same kind of behavior, then I would say its something with the car. From my experience, Blackberry has been very hit or miss with BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This isn't a bluetooth issue. I am referring to the Snap-In adapter that mounts in the center console. It is designed to be a dock for the phone and has nothing to do with bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Did you ever get this fully working? I am having the same issue with my 1 day old media cradle.

Also do you need to pair the phone to the bluetooth when you are using the cradle?
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Did you ever get this fully working? I am having the same issue with my 1 day old media cradle.

Also do you need to pair the phone to the bluetooth when you are using the cradle?
Take it into the dealership and have them look at the Combox. I bought my car brand new in July 2011 and they had to replace my Combox (even though it was brand new). Yes you need to have Bluetooth on and pair it. When you snap it in you will be able to control your phone functions through the iDrive though.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Thank you for the reply. I emailed my SA and will see what he has to say tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDDP1273 View Post
Take it into the dealership and have them look at the Combox. I bought my car brand new in July 2011 and they had to replace my Combox (even though it was brand new). Yes you need to have Bluetooth on and pair it. When you snap it in you will be able to control your phone functions through the iDrive though.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The culprit in mine ended up being the USB cable between the snap-in base plate and the combox. They found that it had been pinched at some point in the run and it resulted in the signal cutting out. They didn't figure it out without swapping out the combox and doing some other troubleshooting though.

Weirdly, the replacement combos they put in ended up having problems connecting via bluetooth so they replaced it again. :-/
Appreciate 0