Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flat Versu Non Run Flat tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
socabmw
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Run Flat Versu Non Run Flat tires

Hello everyone, I have an 07 328i with Sports Package with Potenza 225/45 R17 and 255/40 R17 in the rear. My brother has an 06 330i with Sports Package also and he has had to replace a tire on two separate occasions and paying up to $700 for one tire plus balancing at the dealer. This shocked me and I want to be a little proactive in case I find myself in a similar situation. Here are questions:

1. Can I replace the RFTs for non RFTs as long as the tire is the same size? If so, how much am I looking at saving? I don’t mind having to carry a spare with me in the trunk – no my first choice but worth it if I save money on the long run.
2. What brand would you recommend? Is Costco a good option to shop for tires?
3. Can I use the same rims if I go with the non-RFTs?

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Before you get set on fire, I'd use the search function...

Otherwise, welcome to the Forums.

Part of the reason I went ahead and put rims and tires on my car was the RFTs, their handling deficit, and the expense/hassle of replacing them.

Get your new wheels and tires or just tires here on the forum from Gary at the TireRack. You'll not find better pricing, service, and expertise anywhere.

You don't need a Spare, just get a mobility kit which will keep you on the road about as well as a RFT with just a bit more fuss. I like the one from Continental called the Conti Comfort Kit or something.

You can use the same rims if you like, but if you are giving the car back after a lease or something like that might as well add a custom touch, and have the OEM RFTs ready to bolt back on for sale or return. Just a thought.