E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Replacement Laptop Batteries.

06-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Replacement Laptop Batteries.

Can anyone recommend a good brand/supplier of replacement HP Laptop batteries ?

Original lasted over 2 years, wasn't happy to pay in excess of £125.00 for a genuine HP one, so I paid around £60.00 for an aftermarket one from Amazon.

It had very good reviews etc, and was double the capacity of the original HP one.

But...........Hey presto, exactly on the warranty expiry date this one decides to only last a short time and needs constantly charging .

Any suggestions/experiences welcome, rather not make the same mistake again .

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Hi,
I feel I can help on this being a HP Hardware warranty qualified engineer and working for the company.

Bottom line, batteries in laptops unless following the specific guidelines (which is near impossible for most users) are poor at best. The biggest killer is leaving them plugged in on charge at all times. Most laptops now will stop pumping ppwer into the battery and start charging again at around 97%. Either way the battery is being constantly charged which is bad for them.

If possible remove the power cable from the laptop once charged

Make sure you let the battery completely run out over a period of battery cycles.

Follow the first charge advice when a new battery has been purchased.

On some laptops (I know for sure this is on the commercial laptops) you can put the battery into shipping condition which will help preserve the battery. This may not be an option for you. Google how to do this (not sure if this information will be public)

As for replacing the Battery, I wouldn't spend big money buying from HP. Their Mark up is monumental and that battery is never worth £125. I would personally look for a well made aftermarket battery with good reviews. EBay is not a bad place to start as you can check buyer feedback on the items you are looking at. Just make sure it has passed the correct UK safety requirements before you purchase. You can get batteries on eBay for around £15 if my memory serves me right.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Many Thanks Mboon for taking the time to provide such detailed info, much appreciated

I have found a couple of possibilities, will check your points.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

I just recently typed in my battery number into ebay and got one for £10. quite cheap nowadays. not sure how long it will last though

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

No.worries. I hope.it helps. Just make sure whatever battery you buy that it has passed the UK safety tests. At £10 a GO you can replace every year and still be quite in compared to the HP one
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
oli3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exactly as mentioned in above posts, a battery from a reputable ebay seller is very liklely going to be made in the same factory floor as the "HP" one without a badge.

Is the badge worth £100? Not to me it isn't.
Appreciate 0