E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > SOLVED !!! Rough Idle N57 not solving it..

11-10-2017, 04:06 AM   #45
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
I'm not sure its that simple TBH

As you'll see from the video and the link below the EGR runs in low throttle applications and helps with compression in engine cycles.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...ing-you-money/
yeh i do not know the exact ins and outs,,but removing them has no effect in my personal experience.and what ive read..next on list for me is the red boost hose,ive had the seals done,but its misting over with oil so the hose must be slightly pourous and stretched over time not giving correct seal..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #46
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Hi all interested.

Got some news back from BMW and they will fork out 50% which is fair. Will get the work done after Xmas and report back.

Got to say, pretty pleased with BMW - they stand by their product and value their fans
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2018, 07:57 AM   #47
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Update from me

I started using normal fuel again as my rough cold start had come back. The car has been driving fine and has another 5000 miles on the clock.
Recently I got the EML come on. I scanned the codes first time round and got CIC DVD player issues which was odd. Cleared, light went out and carried on. A week later it was back on, checked codes and had EGR related codes come up with my original air temp sensor issue.
Cleared the codes, checked temps of the engine etc, all good.
Came back on so I removed the air filter and used some Wynn’s EGR cleaner which worked a treat on my friends mapped M57 but no difference for me. Light came back on and stayed on.
I am not going to mess around with this, it is remap time. I am going to get a stage 1 map and the EGR deleted (Electronically) and be done with this.
I didn’t think this related to injectors as my car runs lovely once warmed and looking around, everyone who has had this issue, takes the EGR out of the equation and everything starts working fine again.
I am going to keep my DPF as that is all working fine and will double check the DPF will still regen with the EGR electronically turned off. I will report back when I get around to doing this. Could be a few weeks or maybe a month or two
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #48
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboon View Post
Update from me

I started using normal fuel again as my rough cold start had come back. The car has been driving fine and has another 5000 miles on the clock.
Recently I got the EML come on. I scanned the codes first time round and got CIC DVD player issues which was odd. Cleared, light went out and carried on. A week later it was back on, checked codes and had EGR related codes come up with my original air temp sensor issue.
Cleared the codes, checked temps of the engine etc, all good.
Came back on so I removed the air filter and used some Wynn’s EGR cleaner which worked a treat on my friends mapped M57 but no difference for me. Light came back on and stayed on.
I am not going to mess around with this, it is remap time. I am going to get a stage 1 map and the EGR deleted (Electronically) and be done with this.
I didn’t think this related to injectors as my car runs lovely once warmed and looking around, everyone who has had this issue, takes the EGR out of the equation and everything starts working fine again.
I am going to keep my DPF as that is all working fine and will double check the DPF will still regen with the EGR electronically turned off. I will report back when I get around to doing this. Could be a few weeks or maybe a month or two
Your diagnostic tool should be able to tell you how full your DPF is in % terms. I got a readout on mine when I was at the garage. Worth getting it cleaned. My dealership does it for around €400 but I'm sure an indy would do for half less.

Apparently you get your ponies back and the car is more responsive
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #49
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Update from me too: New DDE (ECU for BMW diesel) did nothing. So the dealership has taken it back and will sort the issue (at their cost).

Poodling around in a 114d ph2 in white. What a strange car the 1 series is. Really liked the old one but this new one has a hell of a bonnet making a damn pain in town. Also the steering and chassis response are weird. If I liken this this with the F30 I once had on rental I wonder did BMW drop the ball for this generation?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #50
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Solved N57 Cold start rough idle

OK. After taking back the car to the BMW dealership they found the problem, going back to basics.

It turns out that the new glow plugs that were installed were not the correct ones by some margin. In fact they weren't even going into the chamber being too short by 3 cm, giving the glowplug preheating control module and DDE engine management all sorts of errors. In turn the EGR valve to miss its start up sequence. Remember that the glow plugs are used as meters or sensors by the engine management (DDE) system...

Needless to say I should have bought it strait to BMW and the problem would have been solved there and then.

On my way now to rip the idiot mechanic head off that first cleaned the EGR, changed the glowplugs and module.

The worse is that the glowplugs bought were NGK (the best) but just the wrong reference, they were actually over 3 cm too short! When the tech took them off he noticed immediately they were the wrong ones. Got to say I am grateful to them for doing such a thourough job and keep going at it.

This also shows the problems of self-diagnostic on forums and trying to do things on the cheap or "culturally" speaking, not trusting dealerships. This whole adventure would have cost me less then what I have spent had I gone straight to BMW...

Can't wait to get it back now

Last edited by ChawenHalo; 02-12-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #51
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Glad it's finally sorted for you. Time to enjoy it now.

I can't agree on the self diagnosis point though. I've always researched the issue and supplied my own parts with no issues.

The last time I didn't do that, the car went in for £500 of work and came out costing me £1,100.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #52
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Quote:
OK. After taking back the car to the BMW dealership they found the problem, going back to basics.

It turns out that the new glow plugs that were installed were not the correct ones by some margin. In fact they weren't even going into the chamber being too short by 3 cm, giving the glowplug preheating control module and DDE engine management all sorts of errors. In turn the EGR valve to miss its start up sequence. Remember that the glow plugs are used as meters or sensors by the engine management (DDE) system...

Needless to say I should have bought it strait to BMW and the problem would have been solved there and then.

On my way now to rip the idiot mechanic head off that first cleaned the EGR, changed the glowplugs and module.

The worse is that the glowplugs bought were NGK (the best) but just the wrong reference, they were actually over 3 cm too short! When the tech took them off he noticed immediately they were the wrong ones. Got to say I am grateful to them for doing such a thourough job and keep going at it.

This also shows the problems of self-diagnostic on forums and trying to do things on the cheap or "culturally" speaking, not trusting dealerships. This whole adventure would have cost me less then what I have spent had I gone straight to BMW...

Can't wait to get it back now
Have you actually got the car back from BMW to see if it has been rectified?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #53
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Glad it's finally sorted for you. Time to enjoy it now.

I can't agree on the self diagnosis point though. I've always researched the issue and supplied my own parts with no issues.

The last time I didn't do that, the car went in for £500 of work and came out costing me £1,100.
To be fair the initial diagnostic of faulty glowplugs/ controller/ EGR (and in that order) were correct - and thats 100% forum. However had I not gone to some fr(@@ing &s[ole of a locval garage top get it doner and bought styraight to BMW it would have cost me 1/2 of what I've spent:

Local incompetent muppet:
EGR and intake cleaning €150
new glow plugs €238 + 100 for extraction of 2 gp stuck €338
new controller €107
Sub T = €595

"chez" BMW:
initial diagnostic + software update €174
Full diagnostic and EGR valve (new on warranty controller) €271
Fitting of new DDE + programing (-50% from BMW) €887
New plugs + a couple of bits. €382
Sub T = €1714

Grand Total €2309

What I should have spend:
BMW Diagnostic + sofware update €174
New Plugs, controller, EGR €652
Total of €826 (which is not bad when you think about it). I thin k its DIY-able for under €500 but it does not include all the little bits and pieces they've changed which are peripheral to the EGR/ controller/ DDE operations ( pressure side sensors, depression capsule, MLK contacts and box) and tested every other module and part in operation (turbo, EGR cooling, inspection of all the lines and pipes, tested all the injectors and seals). lastly the work is guaranteed and if anything of the sort returns its at their cost to fix. They looked at the car and especially the engine in all its aspects so I'm reassured on the general health of the car (DPF, timing chain etc.)

Just happy to have "Stinker" back in rude health (might need a new name for him)

Consumption has gone down to 7.2L / 100 km (motorway driving).

Damm good car this. It was chukking it down and 1°C on the way back and thgis X-Drive with its hydraulic steering (+17"wheels larger at the back all OEM and Bridgestone RFT) is the perfect combo. Comfortable, agile and safe.

Now I'll wait for next month to fix that damn outer halo ring thats not working...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #54
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Just reporting after a few days. Car starts perfect even on negative temps. Idle is perfectly stable and it smoking less and less (thats due to the amount of diesel accumulated with all the many start test procedures. Oddly enough it also feels much crisper than before. Throttle response is noticeably more precise and immediate on low throttle opening and it picks up from lower revs. Its like the engine has got all its performance back and its obviously new to me as its my first N57 and it rough idled since I got it. At the beginning I must admit I was not exactly blown away by the increase in performance vs the pre-LCI 3.0d. Now I am. I'm poorer but happy and enjoying the car even more now!
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #55
Alexandru.k_24
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 163HP

Quote:
Remember that the glow plugs are used as meters or sensors by the engine management (DDE) system...
What do you mean by that? Glow plug are used as meters or sensors?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #56
Itsazin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335D

335D N57 No Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
So is it the manifold or the swirl flaps creating the issues do you think? Just wondering if the OP had no luck and was thinking manifold he could try removing the flaps first (a lot cheaper) ?
I had mine recently cleaned. EGR, Tank ETC. Still have morning Cough! After car is a dream to drive. No codes!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 02:22 PM   #57
ordos
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91 LCI 325d

Hello,

Have you managed to solve the issue?

I have the same 4949 error code.

Changed glow plugs(NGK 95015) and glow plug controller (Beru GSE108), but 4949 error still there

Last edited by ordos; 11-25-2023 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0