E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Best fitment CSL trunk? I know, old question...

01-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
lightspeedbriefs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Best fitment CSL trunk? I know, old question...

Haven't seen any recent posts asking this, and I'm now in the position of having to return one to the vendor (they're not a vendor here) whose fitment "looked like shit" according to the reputable body shop I have.

I really don't want to have to go through all this again. Sonic Tuning seems to have high ratings, but I don't see it listed on their website and otherwise I haven't seen any recent posts where anyone has cited a great fitment vendor.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I'm also curious. Anyone?
      02-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

I’d say m o d b a r g a i n s
I spoke with Sean over there when i was getting my amuse Erricson trunk rep and he said that low wuanitity produced trunks and other parts (examplethe real amuse ericons trunk) are made in very few batches and often times they have imperfections that never get fixed because they get sold out so quick and never made again
While other trunks like the one I got from them, have been around for so long (almost 10+ years) that the original mold where they’re made from is constantly being improved after every few batches. So you can imagine a rep csl trunk that wa smade when it first came out in what 2008? Would have some fitment issues that by now in 2018 the manufacturer has probably fixed in the orginal mold and now the later versions have better fitment
Appreciate 1
SeanCon101.00
      02-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bryan View Post
I spoke with Sean over there when i was getting my amuse Erricson trunk rep and he said that low wuanitity produced trunks and other parts (examplethe real amuse ericons trunk) are made in very few batches and often times they have imperfections that never get fixed because they get sold out so quick and never made again
While other trunks like the one I got from them, have been around for so long (almost 10+ years) that the original mold where they’re made from is constantly being improved after every few batches. So you can imagine a rep csl trunk that wa smade when it first came out in what 2008? Would have some fitment issues that by now in 2018 the manufacturer has probably fixed in the orginal mold and now the later versions have better fitment
I'd love to believe that, except that most of the "companies" who make these types of parts don't last very long. So, the CSL trunk that a vendor is able to source today is likely not the same one they carried previously. Now, maybe M o d B a r g I a n s maintains their own production facility and makes their own parts(doubtful), and can improve their molds over time to provide a higher quality product? In reality, suppliers for most vendor's change regularly. Wether it be due to a company that stops production of a product, or the vendor sources a lower cost(to them) option. Molds also wear out as they are being used, so one that was great at one time could degrade in quality and fitment over time/use.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
SeanCon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bryan View Post
I'd love to believe that, except that most of the "companies" who make these types of parts don't last very long. So, the CSL trunk that a vendor is able to source today is likely not the same one they carried previously. Now, maybe M o d B a r g I a n s maintains their own production facility and makes their own parts(doubtful), and can improve their molds over time to provide a higher quality product? In reality, suppliers for most vendor's change regularly. Wether it be due to a company that stops production of a product, or the vendor sources a lower cost(to them) option. Molds also wear out as they are being used, so one that was great at one time could degrade in quality and fitment over time/use.
All that info and no better recommendation than M o d b a r g a i n s?... MB it is then
      02-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

I can’t say that i know where or how MB gets their parts from
But to me it doesn’t seem possible that “most of these companies” don’t last very long
If companies like vorsteiner, varis, etc can still exist while selling crazy expensive trunks at low quantities while also spending more money on R&D, then I’m sure companies that make replicas and sell parts at a fraction of the original can also stay in business.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if “replicas” come from the same china factory or were the same or better quality as “name brand” parts
European car owners are too gullible sometimes and will pay crazy prices for things that cost a fraction to make (like the Dinan ram intake system for the 328)
Appreciate 0