E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Detailer question

07-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Detailer question

I thought I would post this here, since I know there are a couple of local detailers here.

My 69 Datsun. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153307

has a number of dull spots, I bought some turtle wax #7 compound and went to work with a wet micro fiber towel, I followed up with Zymol wax. It looks 50% better.

My question is... Can you apply/remove compound with an orbital buffer, or will that be too much for the paint?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
dreamk
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
nice car!! try posting in the Wash, Wax, Detailing and Exterior repairs may get quicker answers
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
I thought I would post this here, since I know there are a couple of local detailers here.

My 69 Datsun. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153307

has a number of dull spots, I bought some turtle wax #7 compound and went to work with a wet micro fiber towel, I followed up with Zymol wax. It looks 50% better.

My question is... Can you apply/remove compound with an orbital buffer, or will that be too much for the paint?

Thanks
Hey,

I wouldn't recommend it, but try to find a very fine compound. I'm not sure about turtle wax #7 since I never usually buy stuff locally.

-Make sure over 50 degrees.
-Out of direct sunlight!

-Apply a small amount, about a teaspoon of compound onto the buffer pad and also a teaspoon on the car within an approximate 14 x 14-inch section. You can always add more as you go along once you get the feel of buffing.

-Before turning the buffer on, slide the pad around a bit on the car where the compound is. You want to just sort of level it out a bit and define the area you will be buffing. While the pad is pressed onto the car, turn the buffer motor on. If you turn the buffer on while not on the car and with compound on it, the compound will spit all over the place, including you.

-Work the buffer using moderate downward pressure in an up and down or side to side direction covering your last pass by about 50 percent, working one defined section of the car at a time till the compound is gone. You don't want to put too much compound on the car that may dry up before you can get to it, so working a large section is not a good idea.

-Avoid running the buffer over any edges unless you are a pro and are using a very light and quick run. It's much better to do edges by hand so you don't run the high risk of burning off the paint.

-Once an area is complete, clean with clear water and dry off with a clean soft towel that will not leave scratches on the paint to remove any remaining compound or grit and also to identify any areas you may have missed. Clean the next section you plan to work on just before applying the compound to avoid debris getting mixed into the fresh compound which may scratch the finish.

-Inspect the entire finish when done for spots missed or areas that may need more attention, rinse the car with clean water and you are ready to apply your favorite wax. The rubbing compound does not offer any protection from the elements like wax does.

I would also recommend trying some polishes, that could cure the paint just as good, but compound is usually to make things seem less dull.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post
Hey,

I wouldn't recommend it, but try to find a very fine compound. I'm not sure about turtle wax #7 since I never usually buy stuff locally.

-Make sure over 50 degrees.
-Out of direct sunlight!

-Apply a small amount, about a teaspoon of compound onto the buffer pad and also a teaspoon on the car within an approximate 14 x 14-inch section. You can always add more as you go along once you get the feel of buffing.

-Before turning the buffer on, slide the pad around a bit on the car where the compound is. You want to just sort of level it out a bit and define the area you will be buffing. While the pad is pressed onto the car, turn the buffer motor on. If you turn the buffer on while not on the car and with compound on it, the compound will spit all over the place, including you.

-Work the buffer using moderate downward pressure in an up and down or side to side direction covering your last pass by about 50 percent, working one defined section of the car at a time till the compound is gone. You don't want to put too much compound on the car that may dry up before you can get to it, so working a large section is not a good idea.

-Avoid running the buffer over any edges unless you are a pro and are using a very light and quick run. It's much better to do edges by hand so you don't run the high risk of burning off the paint.

-Once an area is complete, clean with clear water and dry off with a clean soft towel that will not leave scratches on the paint to remove any remaining compound or grit and also to identify any areas you may have missed. Clean the next section you plan to work on just before applying the compound to avoid debris getting mixed into the fresh compound which may scratch the finish.

-Inspect the entire finish when done for spots missed or areas that may need more attention, rinse the car with clean water and you are ready to apply your favorite wax. The rubbing compound does not offer any protection from the elements like wax does.

I would also recommend trying some polishes, that could cure the paint just as good, but compound is usually to make things seem less dull.
wow thank you for such a detailed explanation...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
wow thank you for such a detailed explanation...
NP dude..... enjoy it but take it easy... let it take you longer to do then a rush job.... compounding is serious comparing to waxing. So if it is your first time, just take it nice and slow. Make sure you have water or some sort of liquid to drink as you know, detailing can get people very dehydrated.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Would you mind taking pictures of the dull spots? If you can just PM me with the pics and I'll try to give you a recommendation. I don't check the forum that frequently so I might miss it if you just post it up here. Also don't use the turtle wax compound, if it's what I think it is it is some harsh stuff that will go right through the paint especially with a buffer. Unless you are talking about Meguiars #7? I haven't seen a Turtle Wax #7 that's why I ask.