E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > R U Faster Than a Redneck Cars

05-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350
Looks like they listed the specs for a stock GTR. I have a suspicion that it wasn't stock.
With everything he'd done cosmetically, he definitely didn't leave the engine alone!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

lol.....this show is funny. Some one needs to take modified E92 M3 or 335i. The track they run is for high horsepower cars and strong brakes.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
OptimaJim
Rep
Drives: 2003 Ford Excursion

I've been reading a lot of accounts of the TV show and if memory serves, the GTR did not have use of AWD for the filming of the show. Kayani_1, you're the second person I've come across, who has characterized CMP as a "high horsepower" track. If you're comparing it to an autocross course, then yes, I guess it is a high horsepower track. If not, then what do you consider tracks like Road Atlanta and Road Atlanta, because they're certainly not in the same conversation as CMP, let alone the short course they were running at CMP.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

2 of our customers S2000's were in one of the previous episodes. They did pretty damn well, even with 1/2 to 1/3 the HP!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #27
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
I've been reading a lot of accounts of the TV show and if memory serves, the GTR did not have use of AWD for the filming of the show.
I don't believe that, just look at the way it was putting down it's power out fo the corners.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I think the Funny thing is that people always are quick to bash the over powered "race" muscle cars. which i believe most are from the Ultimate stree car challenge. Yet i think i read over on audizine that all cars competing are required to have tires with a 200 treadwear rating or higher. So 500-600 hp muscle cars arent going to do very well for the most part. im not surprised the audi and GTR won, and i would have LOVED so see the "easter egg" civic hatch win as well. But some of the cars are a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #29
OptimaJim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I don't believe that, just look at the way it was putting down it's power out fo the corners.
Believe it. "Technically yes, a GT-R having AWD should do very good, but I didn't have AWD, and it was my very first time EVER driving the car RWD."

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Ok I get it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
save you guys some time

I'd sure as hell take that Mustang over that Audi even though it lost.

What a classic American dream car.

Couldn't even bare to imagine driving that thing down the streets in Asia.
Little bit of gas make the floor shake!
      06-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Did anyone see where Yanny slaps the E46 m3 driver? I'm not sure why that was warranted. From the video, it just looks like Yanny's camaro tried to cut into a very, very tight corner on the inside. If anything he actually bumps into the M3 and causes him to slide out.

The e46 m3 may have taken a cut turn but that's because it can. Racing is racing but I still don't think he deserved that slap. It's not like the M3 purposely spun him out or cut him off.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
Did anyone see where Yanny slaps the E46 m3 driver? I'm not sure why that was warranted. From the video, it just looks like Yanny's camaro tried to cut into a very, very tight corner on the inside. If anything he actually bumps into the M3 and causes him to slide out.

The e46 m3 may have taken a cut turn but that's because it can. Racing is racing but I still don't think he deserved that slap. It's not like the M3 purposely spun him out or cut him off.
I wanted to think that was staged, but no one would damage an E46 M3 for entertainment. That slap just shows a complete lack of class and reflects badly on the "rednecks". He shouldn't have been disqualified for the day, however. He should have been disqualified for life. Also, what kind of grown man slaps another grown man? I'm willing to bet that he's a goddamn eunuch.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
OptimaJim
Rep

If they disqualified everyone from racing for life, who ever lost their temper and made a mistake, there wouldn't be many folks left racing. So what kind of man is Yancy Johns? He's not an Internet name-caller, but he is married, a father and a small business owner. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati with an engineering degree in 1991 and Ohio State University with a degree in architecture in 1994. He also served eight years in the US Air National Guard and is actually a very nice guy. You should make a point of meeting him some time.

Jim McIlvaine
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E82 135i, E90 325i

This has been a very fun show to watch.

Our shop race car, the Audi S3 (white hatch with blue stripes) appeared on the show. We made it through the first round, it was a great time, and we're looking forward to next season!

Trey @ GMP Performance
Phone: 704-525-0941 x 254
Email: trey@gmpperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP Performance View Post
This has been a very fun show to watch.

Our shop race car, the Audi S3 (white hatch with blue stripes) appeared on the show. We made it through the first round, it was a great time, and we're looking forward to next season!
Where did you guys import the S3 from? Mexico?
Wished they brought that car over stateside.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
If they disqualified everyone from racing for life, who ever lost their temper and made a mistake, there wouldn't be many folks left racing. So what kind of man is Yancy Johns? He's not an Internet name-caller, but he is married, a father and a small business owner. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati with an engineering degree in 1991 and Ohio State University with a degree in architecture in 1994. He also served eight years in the US Air National Guard and is actually a very nice guy. You should make a point of meeting him some time.

Jim McIlvaine
Nice or not if you wanna slap somebody do it when the guys is in front of you rather than strapped in a race harness. That's chicken shit. It was a race move and both of them had a chance to give a little but neither did so they made contact. Lucky for him the other dude looked scared of his own shadow so nothing came of it. It would have been much more entertaining if the little dude had got of his car and went full on Bruce Lee.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #38
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim

Jim McIlvaine
He's a grown man who slapped another grown man in the face while he was still restrained by a harness. That man is lower than dirt in my opinion. I've formed that opinion based on the observations I've been able to make so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
GMP Performance
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E82 135i, E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Where did you guys import the S3 from? Mexico?
Wished they brought that car over stateside.
Yes sir! We wish they did too.

Trey @ GMP Performance
Phone: 704-525-0941 x 254
Email: trey@gmpperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #40
OptimaJim
Rep

I'm not at all condoning Yancy's actions- he did lose his temper and make a mistake. Both drivers did talk it over, Yancy apologized and they are at peace with the situation. The TV producers couldn't be happier that you guys are still riled up over it. It's kind of the TV version of the local race promoter, who threatens short track racers with a $500 fine if they fight in the pits and a $5 fine if they fight on the front stretch.

Jim McIlvaine
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #41
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
I'm not at all condoning Yancy's actions- he did lose his temper and make a mistake. Both drivers did talk it over, Yancy apologized and they are at peace with the situation. The TV producers couldn't be happier that you guys are still riled up over it. It's kind of the TV version of the local race promoter, who threatens short track racers with a $500 fine if they fight in the pits and a $5 fine if they fight on the front stretch.

Jim McIlvaine
That's great on all accounts. Hopefully they'll do a second season at a different track.

Just a note about the accident in the first place. As a racer and looking at the situation, Yancy did NOT have position on the M3 driver. He was clearly not next to him (nose to nose) and should have yielded. Without a doubt, he would have been black flagged for aggressive driving and causing an avoidable incident.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I'm not at all condoning Yancy's actions- he did lose his temper and make a mistake.
Call it whatever you want, but the bottom line is that the idiot caused an accident and then criminally assaulted the other guy. I wouldn't be surprised if the show's producers paid off the E46 driver to abstain from pressing charges.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #43
OptimaJim
Rep

Ti335, I feel compelled to explain what I do on Internet message boards for Optima Batteries. As a representative of the company, I receive feedback and actively seek to help consumers, who may have questions or concerns about our products. Occasionally, we have really cool opportunities that come up, like our upcoming Faceoff event, which will be filmed for TV at Road America.

Even though Optima hasn't offered fitments for new BMWs in many years, we'd still love to see BMW owners participate in these events. I posted here to encourage BMW owners who expressed an opinion on R U Faster Than a Redneck? to compete against some of the rednecks from the TV show, who will be running in our event. As the conversation focused more on Yancy, I continued to participate, hoping it would drive some interest in our event. I didn't do a very good job, because our field is now full and we couldn't get a single BMW to enter.

I like to think Optima and our parent company, Johnson Controls, are at least keeping pace with social media. While some companies are just beginning to wrap their heads around how Facebook and Twitter fit into their businesses, we've been actively participating in online forums since 2009. Not only am I monitoring these conversations, but JCI has people monitoring my activity in these conversations (hello ladies).

We've reached a point in this conversation where I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you by not responding. However, it would make the folks watching me feel more comfortable, if you explained your rationale for wanting to criminally prosecute every race car driver who has an on-track incident and scuffle in the pits on my personal Facebook page where the opinions I express are my own. Thanks for understanding!

Jim McIlvaine
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #44
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

It seems like if they are running the short course like you mentioned specially the west course. Then if you look at the track maps or race itself. They have couple of good straights for high speeds followed by sharp braking zones. That is the basis for why I think High horsepower cars with strong brakes do well on that show. The handling is needed but horsepower and braking as well as out right grip is key on that track.

Now if they were running the full race course I would say yes there is a good mix of both.

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of accounts of the TV show and if memory serves, the GTR did not have use of AWD for the filming of the show. Kayani_1, you're the second person I've come across, who has characterized CMP as a "high horsepower" track. If you're comparing it to an autocross course, then yes, I guess it is a high horsepower track. If not, then what do you consider tracks like Road Atlanta and Road Atlanta, because they're certainly not in the same conversation as CMP, let alone the short course they were running at CMP.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries Inc.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0