E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 135i to MK1 Audi TT

07-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

135i to MK1 Audi TT

Prior Audi TT owners, I need your help!

I think I might be in love with Audi TTs. If I was to get one it would most definitely be the 1.8t coupe with 225 ponies. Does anybody have any experience with these cars or motors? I'm mostly concerned with reliability once I start modding. I think realistically with exhaust, meth, and tune, I'd be able to easily see 300 crank hp. I know you have to "pay to play" but these N54/5s seem to be monstrously reliable thus far.

I don't track any of my cars, but I do enjoy driving like I stole them. Will I be disappointed with the handling? Any firsthand experience in the snow? My A4 did OK last winter, but it definitely didn't feel great. I'd probably be taking it up over the passes once snowboarding season starts, so I need something that is going to plow through the white stuff without issues.

Look at this thing! Very aesthetically pleasing. Still looks very modern even though the design is probably about 15 years old now.

Last edited by swaite; 07-07-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Why?? I kind of feel like you are down grading. Wait so you think the N54/5 is reliable??

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

dont do it.. That car is ugly as fuvk.. save your money any buy something more worthy of your attention.
      07-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Man View Post
dont do it.. That car is ugly as fuvk.. save your money any buy something more worthy of your attention.
I agree..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Why?? I kind of feel like you are down grading. Wait so you think the N54/5 is reliable??
I have three other (older) cars, and I haven't had the resources to get them running how I want. That's the main reason. If I could have a garage full of cars, I would, but that's not realistic for me at this point. If I got the TT I would lose the car payment, and be able to have four badass cars instead of one really badass car. Obviously a ten year old car is going to be a bit of a downgrade, but I hope it won't be a huge difference. I haven't test driven one yet, I don't want to be one of those tire-kicking assholes.

And the N54 is a reliable motor. By that, I mean I have only seen one (very recent) catastophic engine failure, and it was stock. With everything that people are doing to these things, upping the boost to twice the normal rate, huge exhausts, huge intercoolers, methanol, etc., it's asking quite a bit, and they are holding together like fucking champions. HPFPs are not an indication of how reliable the motor is.
      07-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Man View Post
I don't think it's ugly at all. What's ugly about it? What should I buy that would be "more worthy"?
      07-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

TT MK1 has a timeless design. Ages well. With an APR chip it has plenty of pep. In my opinion, a non M coupe 1er looks horrendous. I say go for the MK2 TTS and don't look back. Of course if you ask a BMW forum you will be dissuaded. Finding an MK1 with low miles is pretty hard, that's why you should go MK2 which has modern amenities
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Quote:
I have three other (older) cars, and I haven't had the resources to get them running how I want. That's the main reason. If I could have a garage full of cars, I would, but that's not realistic for me at this point. If I got the TT I would lose the car payment, and be able to have four badass cars instead of one really badass car. Obviously a ten year old car is going to be a bit of a downgrade, but I hope it won't be a huge difference. I haven't test driven one yet, I don't want to be one of those tire-kicking assholes.

And the N54 is a reliable motor. By that, I mean I have only seen one (very recent) catastophic engine failure, and it was stock. With everything that people are doing to these things, upping the boost to twice the normal rate, huge exhausts, huge intercoolers, methanol, etc., it's asking quite a bit, and they are holding together like fucking champions. HPFPs are not an indication of how reliable the motor is.
Haha ok so when my brand new car needs to get towed at 12k miles and won't start, ya that's not a big deal.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Ken_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

My daily driver is an APR chipped 1.8 Jetta, with 180K miles. The only real reliability issue I've had is with the water pump(plastic impeller), but you can find metal impeller replacements all day long. I would assume that with the TT, it'd be the same. Just watch out for electrical gremlins.

Why the 1.8t over the VR6? Supercharged or Turbo VR6s can be fast and very reliable, even more so than the 1.8, depending on the build. Some of the 1.8ts, even at 300hp, have rod piston/rod problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
From what I've heard old TT's are better as project cars rather than dailys. If you wanna build it for good power you'll have to do it right --- rip the motor out and rebuild it.

They can be wicked autocross and track cars when done right though... Grassroots had an article about a year ago detailing what to look for when buying one. You may want to look for the magazine on their website.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha ok so when my brand new car needs to get towed at 12k miles and won't start, ya that's not a big deal.
Did you leave your headlights on? Would it make you feel better if I said that the engine is robust? Come on, why are you making this an argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_C View Post

Why the 1.8t over the VR6? Supercharged or Turbo VR6s can be fast and very reliable, even more so than the 1.8, depending on the build. Some of the 1.8ts, even at 300hp, have rod piston/rod problems.
If I got a VR6 and added a blower, I might as well keep my 135i. I think that the later models (or earlier, I can't remember) used bigger wrist pins, so I would be on the lookout for one of those. I'd like to avoid rebuilding the motor if I don't have to. Cost vs. performance and reliability. Again, I'd rather keep my 135i than beef up a 1.8t.

I'm surprised to hear that the 1.8t is seen as being unreliable. I know that they have coilpack issues, but that's honestly not that big of a deal. Replace a $30 part every few months, and I'll be on my way.

Last edited by swaite; 07-09-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you leave your headlights on? Would it make you feel better if I said that the engine is robust? Come on, why are you making this an argument?

If I got a VR6 and added a blower, I might as well keep my 135i. I think that the later models (or earlier, I can't remember) used bigger wrist pins, so I would be on the lookout for one of those. I'd like to avoid rebuilding the motor if I don't have to. Cost vs. performance and reliability. Again, I'd rather keep my 135i.

I'm surprised to hear that the 1.8t is seen as being unreliable. I know that they have coilpack issues, but that's honestly not that big of a deal. Replace a $30 part every few months, and I'll be on my way.
Haha.. Sorry just saying the next car I suggest you get is a M3 or a 1M..

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha.. Sorry just saying the next car I suggest you get is a M3 or a 1M..
Had an E36 and E46 M3. Maybe it's time I went for the E30. I would like to get a 1M, but I'm going to wait for the prices to fall and hopefully pick up one in 5 years or so. That is, unless this new M2 turns out to be Jesus Christ on wheels.
      07-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
downgrade...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Had an E36 and E46 M3. Maybe it's time I went for the E30. I would like to get a 1M, but I'm going to wait for the prices to fall and hopefully pick up one in 5 years or so. That is, unless this new M2 turns out to be Jesus Christ on wheels.
I know what you mean I just felt like you should stick with the BMW and save your cash. It was my next goal to get a 09 M3 or a 1M... But after I saw the M2. !!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
If you like it, you should get it... you don't need to impress a bunch of guys on the internet who don't agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The mk1 TT is a good car, had an '02 225 before the 128. Not a bad track car either, it surprised me at Summit Point to be honest. Never did a chip, but did a CAI and cat back, lighter wheels, HPA SSK and H&R rear bar.
Appreciate 0