E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need Advice - Audio replacement for E90

04-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Need Advice - Audio replacement for E90

My E90 has no iDrive, no DVD, no Command and no Logic 7.
It comes with a simple front audio radio with 1 CD plus a 6 CD changer located in the glovebox. Wish someone with the same configuration as mine and have replaced their stock Audio , be willing to give advice on.

If I were to replace the entire audio with other brands, I have two little concerns which I hope that are not issues. Need advice.

1. On the Audio System LCD panel, there is a button called SYSTEM. With a press on, it shows a few setting options such as LANGUAGE, TIME. Since I could not locate a TIME change option from the steering wheel button controlled LCD Menu in the console; so if I remove the stock Audio system, I would not know how to set the TIME without it.
2. Has anyone who replaced the E90 stock Audio and still be able to control the VOLUME and TRACK +/- via the Steering Wheel Buttons? This is not so important for me if without after I have replaced the Audio System.

cheers
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
blackie
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 325i 06

Off topic: you don't have a garage? I'd love to see pics of your car, especially the rims.
      04-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
zzz3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
My E90 has no iDrive, no DVD, no Command and no Logic 7.
Do You have HI-FI (10 speakers)system?
Quote:
It comes with a simple front audio radio with 1 CD plus a 6 CD changer located in the glovebox.
If you change the headunit, you will loose CD Changer, its connect by MOST BUS (fiber optics) and there isn't any interface avaible.
Quote:
Wish someone with the same configuration as mine and have replaced their stock Audio , be willing to give advice on.
If I were to replace the entire audio with other brands, I have two little concerns which I hope that are not issues. Need advice.
I have the Profissional Radio with standard system(6 Speakers)
Quote:
1. On the Audio System LCD panel, there is a button called SYSTEM. With a press on, it shows a few setting options such as LANGUAGE, TIME. Since I could not locate a TIME change option from the steering wheel button controlled LCD Menu in the console; so if I remove the stock Audio system, I would not know how to set the TIME without it.
I should be able to change ALL features from the BC stalk!
1) Open the user guide, look for "Personal profile".
2) Ask your dealer to update your car software (the latest is CIP 21)
it provides even more options (Driving autolock, selective close, etc)
Quote:
2. Has anyone who replaced the E90 stock Audio and still be able to control the VOLUME and TRACK +/- via the Steering Wheel Buttons? This is not so important for me if without after I have replaced the Audio System.
There are companys in Europe that have CAN BUS adapters for E90 steering wheel buttons, not all HU are supported.
These Can Bus adapters are not cheap, they can ease up the installation of Aftermaker HU.
Try www.dietz.biz and
www.connects2.com.

Changing the sound system of E90 its not easy, look around in this forum there a few posts regarding changing the OEM HU, Fiiting speakers, adding Amps and Subs.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
cychan
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Hi CNTLAW,

I from Hong Kong as well and I think you have the same Audio Unit as my 330i since it is what the local dealers do.

I am not suggesting you change the head unit. Its very good. What you need is the signal from the head units and route to a better amp and speaker. (Do you know the factory head unit can display Chinese Song title in Chinese.) I have change all the speaker and put 3 Phonix Gold amp in it. On for the Front, One for rear and one for sub. The outcome is very good and. I don't even change the stock sub speaker. Its all right.
      10-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cychan
Hi CNTLAW,

I from Hong Kong as well and I think you have the same Audio Unit as my 330i since it is what the local dealers do.

I am not suggesting you change the head unit. Its very good. What you need is the signal from the head units and route to a better amp and speaker. (Do you know the factory head unit can display Chinese Song title in Chinese.) I have change all the speaker and put 3 Phonix Gold amp in it. On for the Front, One for rear and one for sub. The outcome is very good and. I don't even change the stock sub speaker. Its all right.
Hi CY
Thx for your info.
Based on some recent inquiries with audio shops, they have also advised
to replace the stock amp by one amp for subwoofer and one amp for the front/rear.
Yes, I intend to keep the head unit just to save the hassle of screw up the PDC audible signals.

cnt
p.s.
Please pm me your audio shop contact.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz3
............Changing the sound system of E90 its not easy, look around in this forum there a few posts regarding changing the OEM HU, Fiiting speakers, adding Amps and Subs.
zzz3 , thx so much for your info.
I hope to get it done soon.
cnt
Appreciate 0