Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > tire warranty

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
yyj3869
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i coupe

tire warranty

it's been 5 months since i bought my car. it was 2011 CPO 328i coupe. When i bought it, the financial manager offered me to buy the extended warranty and tire and wheel warranty so I purchased it. anyway these days, I'm into new or used aftermarket wheels. here is the question. If I change the oem wheel (now I have) to aftermarket or different oem wheels, they are not going to change the tires if it's worn down or there is problem? Do I have to leave them as is?
Is it possible to cancel the tire and wheel warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
AdrianRex
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i X-drive

Tires are only replaced under warranty in event of puncture or blowout/damage, not normal wear. The wheels will be covered under this warranty if they are oem or from some impossible to find list of "approved" other wheels. It is possible to cancel the policy altogether. I don't know if you'll get the full price back, but you will get a prorated amount depending on how long you have had the coverage and how much time is left and what you originally paid.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Canceling rim and tire protection is suicide. I wouldn't drive anywhere in the United States without it.

I cannot speak to aftermarket rims, as both my 18 and 19 rim sets are BMW OEM, but I have gotten non run flat Michelin Alpin PA4 tires (not OEM spec), had one incur damage from a significant pothole, and got a check cut from my rim and tire protection company for the price of its replacement cost.

A set of four tires costs over $700 on average- run flats nearly twice that much.

Your average BMW rim and tire protection plan costs between 600$ and grand- bubble or blow / damage about four RFT tires over the course of the car ownership, and then coverage paid for itself- and then some.

Just some food for thought.

Obviously make your own decision, but unless your area roads are made of glass, it's not a matter of if you'll incur tire or rim damage, but when.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

The warranty from what i know doesn't cover them wearing out, but if any of your tires get punctured on the road then they'll cover it for free. The salesman selling me the warranty even said that if you feel that you want to change the tires just pop a nail in there and bring it in saying that i ran over a nail while on the road.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
The warranty from what i know doesn't cover them wearing out, but if any of your tires get punctured on the road then they'll cover it for free. The salesman selling me the warranty even said that if you feel that you want to change the tires just pop a nail in there and bring it in saying that i ran over a nail while on the road.
Haha, that's funny. A few years back I had a puncture and slow leak in a back right tire, and the SA said the same thing about the left tire (to make them even).

I rigged up a stubby Philips under the tire, backed up slowly, and pssssssshhhhhhhh....

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I think tire and wheel protection is a joke...at least the package I was offered. The coverage included only $50-60 per rim for repairs in the event of damage (something other than wear and tear). The tire coverage sounded good in theory, but if you read the fine print, again for the policy I got, you only qualify for full coverage if you:
a) rotate your tires in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations
b) if the tire is still above a certain minimum wear of tread

Also there were a lot of stipulations on damages that wouldn't be covered: rail road crossings; curbs; driving on anything other than pavement; ect.

I would highly recommend you read the fine print of whatever policy you purchased. You may find that there are so many loopholes for the insurance company to opt out of covering you that it is not worth it. I driven over plenty of train tracks, hit many surprise potholes, and still haven't had any issues (18" wheels, OEM run-flats).

I think as long as you pay attention to the road and avoid or slow-down over bumps and pot holes, the tire and wheel protection is largely irrelevant.

P.S. the tire and wheel policy is covered not by BMW but through a 3rd party insurer. You can actually cancel at any time if you call up the insurer directly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Only a 50 spot? Yikes man, that is a bit lackluster
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
MTiger
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

The BMW tire and wheel warranty is covered by Safe-Guard LLC.

Even though the contract does not specifically exclude aftermarket wheels, they will not cover any damage to non-OEM wheels.

If you choose to cancel the policy, your refund will be prorated to the remaining coverage left on the contract term minus any reimbursement for repair. The refund will be sent to the bank you financed the car through and will be applied to your loan (you won't get a check).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Mick the Quick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive 4D 6MT

I suggest that OP reads the warranty agreement, as it is the document governs the terms and conditions of the warranty. Yours might be issued by a different company or under different terms by the same company. Asking this type of question on the forum is fine, but the agreement is where it's at. If you get into an argument with the warranty company, are you going to quote someone from this forum or a provision from the agreement?

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyj3869 View Post
it's been 5 months since i bought my car. it was 2011 CPO 328i coupe. When i bought it, the financial manager offered me to buy the extended warranty and tire and wheel warranty so I purchased it. anyway these days, I'm into new or used aftermarket wheels. here is the question. If I change the oem wheel (now I have) to aftermarket or different oem wheels, they are not going to change the tires if it's worn down or there is problem? Do I have to leave them as is?
Is it possible to cancel the tire and wheel warranty?
Warranty will not transfer.
It only covers the wheels and tires you bought for road hazards.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Typically any extended warranty can be returned/cancelled for a pro-rated refund.
      05-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

all tire/wheel warranties are different.

Read the fine print - see what is and ISNT covered.

My plan covers EVERYTHING, including aftermarket wheels/tires so it is worth it to me (living in PA with our AWFUL roads)

Like all insurance, you can make arguments either way on if you "need it" or is a "smart investment" ... only you can make that choice.... 'insurance' of any kind can be a dicey argument.
      05-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
yyj3869
Banned
Rep

I found the contract. it says Easy Care Gold Certified Wrap. I'm registered in Total Care.

tire and Wheel (zero deductible): We will pay by corporate credit card for the cost to replace Your Tires (original tires as supplied by the manufacturer and replacement tires of like kind and quality),for the length of this VSC, if damaged from glass, metal punctureres or other road hazard on a public roadway. We will pay for the replacement of wheels (original wheels as supplied by the manufacturer and replacement wheels of like kind and quality) rendered unserviceable due to the road hazard damage of a tire covered under this VSC. Unserviceable means that the wheel is unable to seal with the tire, resulting in air loss. You must provide receipts. Your tire must have at least 3/32" of tread depth at the shallowest point of the tire at time of blow out or flat or this coverage to apply.

that's what contract says. so I need to get used oem wheels right? but i'm not sure with tires.. if i buy from somebody who has 193m wheels come with michellin tires that needs to be replaced. they will change the tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
yyj3869
Banned
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0