E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Has anyone ever had an aftermarket sound system that sounded better than Logic 7?

01-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Has anyone ever had an aftermarket sound system that sounded better than Logic 7?

If so, how much did it take to get to the level of Logic 7's performance?

$2,000?
$5,000?
$10,000?

By the way, by "sounding better" I mean in terms of sound quality, not bass performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is it really that good?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

The Logic 7 is excellent for a stock system. But it is possible to get a better sound. Within limits though. For example the Logic7 sounds very good on all seats. If you build a system optimized for the drivers seat (with digital time allignment) you can get even better sound but then the sound will be inferior to the sound of the Logic 7 on the other seats.

I dare say, my aftermarket stereo in my E90 is objectively quite a bit better than the Logic 7 if you´re in the driver seat. But it´s not as good on the other seats. And since it´s not a stock headunit, the (optical) integration is not as nice, I take up the compartment under the trunk for a DSP and three amps etc.

On top of that, the components are a lot more expensive than the whole Logic7 setup, and if I were to calculate the time it took me to research the electronics of the E90 to make an aftermarket system work properly plus the time it took me to install and tweak the system, it would be more expensive than many home systems.

So, to beat the sound of Logic 7 in the E90 I had to:

- neglect the sound quality on all but the drivers seat
- forgoe the visually perfect headunit integration of the stock HU
- give up the compartment under the trunk liner
- spend about 3000$ for components (HU, DSP, Amps and Speakers)
- spend about 40 hours on research
- spend about 30 hours on the install
- spend about 15 hours on tweaking

And now I have a system that most would not even recognize as beeing truely better than the Logic 7 ("Wheres the booming Bass, dude?, why now surround? Why can´t you play a video DVD, dude?)

Still, I enjoy it immensly. My car has more accurate audio reproduction than many home systems. I know it, I hear it, and it makes my drive to work a lot more enjoyable.

Just, whoever thinks he can beat the Logic7 in the bang for the buck department it dead wrong. You´ll spend a lot more $ just to get close to the quality of the Logic7. Louder and more bassy than the L7 are easy. Better is really hard.
      01-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tierfreund, thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. It sounds like the majority of us will be very happy with Logic 7. Of course, who knows, I may follow in your footsteps and go aftermarket!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use as an audio source? I'm guessing you only listen to CD's, but I'm wondering if you've tried connecting an iPod through the dock connector. With your system and your ears, you'd be the best person to analyze the loss caused by iPod's digital to analog converter. (I'm the poster who started this thread.)

Thanks again for your time.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
Tierfreund, thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. It sounds like the majority of us will be very happy with Logic 7. Of course, who knows, I may follow in your footsteps and go aftermarket!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use as an audio source? I'm guessing you only listen to CD's, but I'm wondering if you've tried connecting an iPod through the dock connector. With your system and your ears, you'd be the best person to analyze the loss caused by iPod's digital to analog converter. (I'm the poster who started this thread.)

Thanks again for your time.
I use the HU CD Player and an IPod through an IceLink. I must admit, that for convenience, I use the Ipod most of the time although a CD clearly sounds quite a bit better. On the Ipod, of course it matters a lot how you´ve coverted the material. Many 128Bit Mp3´s truely sound dreadfull. But if you convert your CD´s yourself to the AAC format or at least Mp3 with 256KBit and VBR, the quality is acceptable. The AD-Converter of the ipod if fine if it´s fed with decent quality material

Let me put it this way: When I want to show my system of, I put in a CD. When I´m alone and just cruising, on goes the IPod.
      01-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's reassuring to hear. I'd also like the convenience of using an iPod, and based on your comments the sound quality tradeoff is a consideration, but not enough of a difference for you to only use CD's.

I too plan on using only high-bitrate MP3s or AACs, so it looks like the iPod will work for me.

Of course, hopefully the BMW iPod solution will sound as good as the IceLink you use to connect to your aftermarket head unit.
Appreciate 0