E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Improved waterpumps?

09-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Improved waterpumps?

Hey everyone,

My E92's waterpump is starting to fail again-mechanic said he's starting to see some very slight leaks with it. It was replaced back in 2012 and probably has 20K miles on it.

Did some searching but couldn't find anything but are there improved waterpumps out there in the aftermarket (I saw that ECS has a Vemo Q+) or has BMW issued newer improved ones that don't suck?

I remember back in the day, BMW redesigned the E36 waterpumps (mine failed) for the M50/52 and S50/52 because of the terrible design using plastic impeller blades-they upgraded them to metal.

Ugh

Thanks!

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Mykindaguise
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi/11 370z turbo

I went with the OEM non BMW labeled pump. The plastic housing cracked in 4 months and started leaking everywhere....that isnt a common issue and it was replaced under warranty. But as far as i know there isnt any upgraded pump.

Only other thing I can note is that the 1st pump was man'd in early 2014 and this one was Q2 2015. I compared the digits that were stamped on each one and plenty of them did not match up...not sure what that means but the OEM may have a new revision?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
vr4spd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335is Sapphire Black

Dude I was just going to create a post. I had my water pump replaced last year 7/1/14 and it failed again this month! 2 months outside the warranty I am fucking livid and absolutely done with this POS car.

Where is the most cost effective place to get a water pump ? thermostat combo?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

The newer water pumps BMW has are improved from what I hear. However it's still electric so there is always going to be risk of them failing again.

If you can't afford the upkeep of a BMW, Hyundai accents are going for 13k brand new

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 1
bradsm87591.50
      09-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
N54Bob1988
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

the revised the pumps and they appear to last longer. i went with a VDO brand
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Billit335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335

How long have you had the VDO, also anyone have Siemens.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykindaguise View Post
I went with the OEM non BMW labeled pump. The plastic housing cracked in 4 months and started leaking everywhere....that isnt a common issue and it was replaced under warranty. But as far as i know there isnt any upgraded pump.

Only other thing I can note is that the 1st pump was man'd in early 2014 and this one was Q2 2015. I compared the digits that were stamped on each one and plenty of them did not match up...not sure what that means but the OEM may have a new revision?
I purchase a new water pump and t-stat from my local BMW dealer. Within 1 month the seam between the plastic housing and metal housing started leaking. Replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

when i replaced my water pump last year on my 2008, the old pump was seimens VDO and the new one (BMW brand) was marked as Continental, so they did change. I've only had it in for 10k miles, but no issues (the fan seems to come on more than it used to, but not full blast like a failing waterpump)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Mykindaguise
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi/11 370z turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
I purchase a new water pump and t-stat from my local BMW dealer. Within 1 month the seam between the plastic housing and metal housing started leaking. Replaced under warranty.
Interesting. I was fearinf that maybe my OE pump maybe didn't go through the same product testing/QA that a BMW branded pump would.

Both of my pumps were continental.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post

If you can't afford the upkeep of a BMW, Hyundai accents are going for 13k brand new
Its funny how you guys always use this as an excuse for unreliability. Water pump is not an "upkeep" or maintenance item. Do you see a recommended change interval that you didn't make up yourself? Is there any predictability of when its going to fail (mine lasted 120k miles. would have been a waste of money to have replaced it at the various mileage people claim it COULD fail). Do you know of any upkeep items that are working like new, the dealer doesn't recommend you changing and the next day has you calling a tow truck? Upkeep cost is not the problem. Unreliable is the problem. Are injectors, fuel pumps, SOS call malfunctions, wastegate rattle also upkeep items? Do you know other cars where these routinely break? You can get away with shitty gaskets that fail prematurely and chalk it up as "upkeep" but everything mentioned above is just plain ole unreliability.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #11
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh? No one here complained about cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
Its funny how you guys always use this as an excuse for unreliability. Water pump is not an "upkeep" or maintenance item. Do you see a recommended change interval that you didn't make up yourself? Is there any predicutability of when its going to fail (mine lasted 120k miles. would have been a waste of money to have replaced it at the various mileage people claim it COULD fail). Do you know of any upkeep items that are working like new, the dealer doesn't recommend you changing and the next day has you calling a tow truck? Upkeep cost is not the problem. Unreliable is the problem. Are injectors, fuel pumps, SOS call malfunctions, wastegate rattle also upkeep items? Do you know other cars where these routinely break? You can get away with shitty gaskets that fail prematurely and chalk it up as "upkeep" but everything mentioned above is just plain ole unreliability.
Bingo. It's a reliability issue and potentially finding myself stranded and the annoyance that it's been changed within the last 20K miles.

Hell, I'd pay $2K for pump that won't fail like it does on these cars.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

Any reports or observations on whether the continental pumps last longer than the other ones?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

My stock VDO pump lasted to about 80K. The replacement was Continental. Can't comment on its quality just yet, only have about 9k miles on it.

I don't think there is an aftermarket/improved pump that I know of.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
Quote:

Its funny how you guys always use this as an excuse for unreliability. Water pump is not an "upkeep" or maintenance item. Do you see a recommended change interval that you didn't make up yourself? Is there any predictability of when its going to fail (mine lasted 120k miles. would have been a waste of money to have replaced it at the various mileage people claim it COULD fail). Do you know of any upkeep items that are working like new, the dealer doesn't recommend you changing and the next day has you calling a tow truck? Upkeep cost is not the problem. Unreliable is the problem. Are injectors, fuel pumps, SOS call malfunctions, wastegate rattle also upkeep items? Do you know other cars where these routinely break? You can get away with shitty gaskets that fail prematurely and chalk it up as "upkeep" but everything mentioned above is just plain ole unreliability.
I didn't say anything was an upkeep at all. A BMW is cost more to "maintain" that a Hyundai(plus that was a joke no pun intended).

Maintaining means fixing the parts that break like a WP for example. Some people aren't ready for that and believe that a BMW should be as reliable as any other car because they paid so much for their used 335i lol

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #15
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed
Quote:
Huh? No one here complained about cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
Its funny how you guys always use this as an excuse for unreliability. Water pump is not an "upkeep" or maintenance item. Do you see a recommended change interval that you didn't make up yourself? Is there any predicutability of when its going to fail (mine lasted 120k miles. would have been a waste of money to have replaced it at the various mileage people claim it COULD fail). Do you know of any upkeep items that are working like new, the dealer doesn't recommend you changing and the next day has you calling a tow truck? Upkeep cost is not the problem. Unreliable is the problem. Are injectors, fuel pumps, SOS call malfunctions, wastegate rattle also upkeep items? Do you know other cars where these routinely break? You can get away with shitty gaskets that fail prematurely and chalk it up as "upkeep" but everything mentioned above is just plain ole unreliability.
Bingo. It's a reliability issue and potentially finding myself stranded and the annoyance that it's been changed within the last 20K miles.

Hell, I'd pay $2K for pump that won't fail like it does on these cars.
Yeah it's always been a reliability issue. Electrical water pumps just fail. It's the way it is.

I changed mine at 45k cuz it had a leak. I'm ready to change it again if it breaks and for sure it will. BMWs ain't cheap

I feel you on the thought of being stranded. Sucks huh. I think about that every time I take a long trip with my wife and kid. Lol

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #16
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's always been a reliability issue. Electrical water pumps just fail. It's the way it is.

I changed mine at 45k cuz it had a leak. I'm ready to change it again if it breaks and for sure it will. BMWs ain't cheap

I feel you on the thought of being stranded. Sucks huh. I think about that every time I take a long trip with my wife and kid. Lol
I hear on BMWs, I've had a few and you have to pay to play but it's sad that I get nervous with this one. It's not the money but the potential inconvenience and not knowing where and when it'll give up on me-like in a crappy part of town.

Next car will be probably a Lexus, sad enough to say...

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #17
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Next car will be probably a Lexus, sad enough to say...
Well the 2011 IS-F is a great car, just think of it as a more luxurious M3 that doesn't break.

I really wish someone would make a mechanical water pump for the N54 that wouldn't break.

Heck if someone fixed the IMS issue in the 996, that should be possible
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:15 AM   #18
N54Bob1988
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

For the record continental owns vdo.the other to brands are prierburg and valco or something. I cant spell.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Zmw124
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328ic e36

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.W. View Post
Well the 2011 IS-F is a great car, just think of it as a more luxurious M3 that doesn't break.

I really wish someone would make a mechanical water pump for the N54 that wouldn't break.

Mine is on 106,000 miles, its gonna go at any time, but its winter so hopefully i make it to christmas. The water pumps im considering is the vemo q+, vdo/continental. Both made in germany, i dont know much about the vemo, but it has 5 stars online. Ecs sells a kit that comes with

Thermostat
1 gallon of BMW coolant
German-made Vemo Q+ water pump with mounting hardware
Coolant inlet and outlet hose, as well as the water pump hose
Expansion tank with cap
Cost $620

Considering i plan on building and keeping this car and it already has a jb4, dp, brake upgrade, 100,000 mile service i figured it made sence to order these hoses while im there.

It sucks coming from an e36 where i could buy an upgraded stewart water pump and not having that option in this chassis. Someone really needs to make one simular, that being said im not opposed to an electric water pump, less strain on the engine = more power
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #20
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmw124 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.W. View Post

Mine is on 106,000 miles, its gonna go at any time, but its winter so hopefully i make it to christmas. The water pumps im considering is the vemo q+, vdo/continental. Both made in germany, i dont know much about the vemo, but it has 5 stars online. Ecs sells a kit that comes with

Thermostat
1 gallon of BMW coolant
German-made Vemo Q+ water pump with mounting hardware
Coolant inlet and outlet hose, as well as the water pump hose
Expansion tank with cap
Cost $620

Considering i plan on building and keeping this car and it already has a jb4, dp, brake upgrade, 100,000 mile service i figured it made sence to order these hoses while im there.

It sucks coming from an e36 where i could buy an upgraded stewart water pump and not having that option in this chassis. Someone really needs to make one simular, that being said im not opposed to an electric water pump, less strain on the engine = more power
Nice thread resurrection lol!

Not sure which ecs kit it is, but make sure in includes a new thermostat. You don't want to do this job twice. Also, you should replace the thin coolant line that goes across the front of the car above the fan as it is prone to breaking.
      12-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #21
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Bob1988 View Post
the revised the pumps and they appear to last longer. i went with a VDO brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billit335 View Post
How long have you had the VDO, also anyone have Siemens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdbiendog View Post
when i replaced my water pump last year on my 2008, the old pump was seimens VDO and the new one (BMW brand) was marked as Continental, so they did change. I've only had it in for 10k miles, but no issues (the fan seems to come on more than it used to, but not full blast like a failing waterpump)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
My stock VDO pump lasted to about 80K. The replacement was Continental. Can't comment on its quality just yet, only have about 9k miles on it.

I don't think there is an aftermarket/improved pump that I know of.
Continental = Siemens = VDO
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #22
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

My original pump lasted 199k. I'm 38k into the second one. Someone should design an aftermarket one that either lasts longer or runs some lines to a pump in a location thats easy to change. Cheaper, sturdier, etc. Something.
Appreciate 1