E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another one! Off to the Darkside....A7 vs 530D

11-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Another one! Off to the Darkside....A7 vs 530D

As I have mentioned a few times before, I am looking to upsize the M3 to something a bit bigger when it goes back next May. Also looking to source something that does a little bit more than 180 miles to £95 worth of 98RON!

I had pretty well decided upon a F10 530D (or poss even a 535D) - I really wanted an M5 but that only solves the size issue, and doesn't do a lot for the fuel. Also, with a decent spec on the are astronomically expensive coming in at £70k ish!

About a month ago I followed an A7 sportback into Stafford town centre and thought that I really liked it. The size is perfect for a growing family and the large hatchback will be a bonus for lugging stuff around in. I also am a big fan of Audi interiors and neither the M3 or the 'vert I had was as well screwed together inside as my old A4 Quattro I had before.

Now, I have got months and months until the M3 goes back so didn't really give the whole car ordering process a great deal of thought but did decide to pop in on Stafford Audi a couple of Sundays ago to show the missus the A7. I got nabbed by the usual sunday sales executive who turned out to be pretty helpful, gave me a brochure and showed me round an A7 3.0TDi in S-line guise. He took all my details and promised to sort me a test drive. He also informed me that they next available car they have that is still spec-changeable is scheduled for week 13 build NEXT year!! That is the end of March build for a delivery in the UK sometime in April. Once that car has been sold it would be a fresh order that would be a May build slot!

OK, test drives are in order! My M3 was due to go in for some warranty work so I asked BlueBell Crewe if I could have a 530D as a courtesy car that was kindly sorted for me by a friend who works there. I must say, after having it for 24 hours I was very impressd with it and almost didn't bother pursuing the A7 as I liked it a lot. It was a 530D M Sport in Carbon Black adorned with Performance Black Grilles, Carbon spoiler and 20" Performance Alloys. It also had the Sun prot glass, vis pack and prof nav etc with DAB radio and USB, etc... An ideal spec and not far off something I would order myself so an ideal car to base my opinion on. It also had the fantastic 8 speed sports auto which IMO is one of the best gearboxes fitted to any car at the moment.

The car not only looked great but was comfortable and powerful also. It obviously is no match for the M3 but the torquey way in which the straight six diesel behaves as opposed to the revving V8 more than made up for it and I was really impressed with the mid range power and the pull from low revs. It basically behaves the opposite to my car!

The lead time on the BMW is only about 10-12 weeks so if I decided to go that route, there is plenty of time before I need to start think of placing an order for May delivery.

In the meantime I chased the Audi salesman up who organised a full day extended test drive in his sales managers A7. It was again a well spec'd car. A V6 3.0TDi Quattro with S-tronic (DSG) auto gearbox. It was an SE model with MMI Nav plus, Privacy Glass, 19" wheels and a few other toys and gadgets. The car actually comes better spec'd than the BMW as standard so essential extras like Xenons are already fitted to the A7, as is DAB radio, USB interface (Audi Music Interface) and folding rear seats.

The power delivery in the car was nice and smooth but it didn't feel 'quite' as quick as the 530D. It is a little down on power at 245ps (I think the 530 is about 268?) but there is obviously some loss on the Quattro system as well. Mid range power was certainly punchy and 0-60 takes about 6.5 secs so not a slouch there either.

Handling was fantastic and felt a LOT better than the F10 - the feel back through the steering felt less vague than the BMW which felt a little dead and over-assisted. I was amazed at how it swallowed up the lumps and bumps in the road and even dirty big pot holes were hardly felt. It also remained very flat on fast corners and the quattro system made for sure-footed progress. This particular car had the Sports suspension option so was basically the same as the S-line model which gave me a good idea of what the S-line would be like. The DSG gearbox changed gears quicker and offered more immediate control via the paddles but in auto mode was defo not as smooth as the BMW 8 speed. I am used to the DCT box in the M3 now, so the S-tronic felt closer to that but I fell most people would choose the BMW one as the favourite.

The interior was the biggest seller for me - OK the Audi MMI takes a lot of getting used to and is prob not as intuitive as the i-Drive system but that's only down to familiarity over time. Once paired with a suitable phone the standard nav can display it's surroundings in google map style which is VERY impressive and even offers wi-fi connection for up to 8 devices. The standard stereo was even excellent with 10 speakers and a sub-woofer in the spare wheel well! DAB radio was clear and has a twin tuner to help eliminate drop out - I did 120 miles ish in the car and the radio signal wasnt lost once!

I had decided that I wanted the A7! I loved driving it and there are very few on the road which gives it a bit more presence.

After a days haggling with the dealership yesterday I have managed to get a 12.5% discount on the spec-changeable car they have on order.

I have opted for V6 3.0 TDi 245PS Quattro S-line 7speed S-tronic.

Dakota Grey Pearlescent Paint
Black Nappa leather with Alcantara Inserts and grey stitching
Privacy Glass
MMI Nav plus inc MMI touch
Mobile tel prep with Online Services
20" x 9J 5 segment-spoke alloys

This is going to be the longest wait ever for a car to arrive ha ha! In the meantime gonna blast the M3 around with the winter tyres on and have some fun!

Some pics below of the cars loaned to base the decision on......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Very interesting read. You'd think BMW would have been able to keep our brand loyalty intact with great products and good deals.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Looks great but that dashboard is way too fussy.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Looks great but that dashboard is way too fussy.
I do agree but also think the F10 is a little too bland?

Maybe something 1/2 way would be ideal - the Audi certainly felt a more 'special' place to be - also like the nice touches like the leather padded areas on the side of the console to rest your left leg against.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Good read. I prefer the looks of the Beemer, especially with the bells & whistles added, but I can believe the Audi feels more special inside (most of them do). A very long wait though isn't it.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Very interesting read. You'd think BMW would have been able to keep our brand loyalty intact with great products and good deals.
In my case Paul, I dont really think it is BMW's fault - I have spent 5 years in the last 2 and I think it is me who needs the change. There wasn't really a lot about the F10 that I didn't like - the engine was good and so was the gearbox but it all felt a little too familiar if that makes sense?

I also get good deals from BlueBell who I am sure would have done me proud on a 530D, but with not needing to order one for so long, will be difficult to provide a like-for-like quote at this point in time.

I basically have a budget of 'x' £'s per month - The Audi initially came in at £280 too dear but after an afternoon's haggling managed to get it down to just £22 over budget which I have compromised with
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Good read. I prefer the looks of the Beemer, especially with the bells & whistles added, but I can believe the Audi feels more special inside (most of them do). A very long wait though isn't it.
.......an eternity Roger!!

Maybe we will have eventually have our meet up before I get it ha ha
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Loooks abit "Fleety"/"Reppy" does the A7 in that SE guise. Still she still looks a nice motor.

Get that engine remapped and then get a milltek exhaust on it and you won't miss your V8 sound track quite as much:

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
That's the first F10 that I've seen that I actually like the look of,the MSport kit makes a lot of difference, to what is in my mind a jelly mould of a car.

I can't say I like the look of the Audi, and the back end does it no favours, based on looks alone I'd have favoured the Beemer.

Still after 5yrs of a BMW a change is as good as a rest I guess,so good for you Paul, and hopefully the car will do everything you want it too.

"Handling was fantastic and felt a LOT better than the F10 - the feel back through the steering felt less vague than the BMW which felt a little dead and over-assisted."

Are the F10's all electric steering now?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
F10 all day long, well that particular one anyway, it looks great. The Audi is trying too hard inside and looks odd outside.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Interesting read. I've only seen a handful of A7s on the road and I do think they look very nice in the flesh. It's got a very rakish, coupe like shape that often comes across as looking a bit weird in photos. The F10 is also a nice car but in my opinion it's a bit dull looking (never driven one). I was disappointed when I first saw one as the interior and exterior just looks like a slightly larger alternatively facelifted e90 where as the e60 was a mini revolution compared to it's predecessor.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Is that Milltek vid after their exhaust is fitted?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Not really looked at the new 5 series but amazed at glance how the interior doesnt look at lot different to an E9X. Seats are prob the same too. I can see why you might think the 5 is "the same old thing".
I think the Audi looks nice, I like the look of it and can see why you fancy a change. It wont be forever and you can always come back to a beemer in a few years, if you feel the need.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

The F10 now comes with the full black panel instrumentation that your photo doesn't show. I suppose it could be bland insofar as it's understated which is a BMW trait. Both nice cars though but I'm not that keen on those wheels on the F10.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
The F10 now comes with the full black panel instrumentation that your photo doesn't show. I suppose it could be bland insofar as it's understated which is a BMW trait. Both nice cars though but I'm not that keen on those wheels on the F10.
I wasn't sure about the F10 wheel when I first saw them but they look very nice from the side photograph IMO - a little bit CSL style, would be nice with some 'dish' to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Not really looked at the new 5 series but amazed at glance how the interior doesnt look at lot different to an E9X. Seats are prob the same too. I can see why you might think the 5 is "the same old thing".
I think the Audi looks nice, I like the look of it and can see why you fancy a change. It wont be forever and you can always come back to a beemer in a few years, if you feel the need.
The 5 just seemed to be a grown up 3-er - more of an evolution than a revolution. The pictures of the new F30 dashboard impress me more than the F10, although the large 'nav' screen in the BMW with the split display is fantastic

Change is as good as a rest, they say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Interesting read. I've only seen a handful of A7s on the road and I do think they look very nice in the flesh. It's got a very rakish, coupe like shape that often comes across as looking a bit weird in photos. The F10 is also a nice car but in my opinion it's a bit dull looking (never driven one). I was disappointed when I first saw one as the interior and exterior just looks like a slightly larger alternatively facelifted e90 where as the e60 was a mini revolution compared to it's predecessor.
I had not really noticed the A7 until I followed one that was a very good spec - they are pretty rare still on the road - in a dark ish colour with the right wheels I personally think they look stunning.

As does an F10 in the right spec though to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
F10 all day long, well that particular one anyway, it looks great. The Audi is trying too hard inside and looks odd outside.
That one does look good - my business partner has a Space Grey 520D m-sport with the 19" wheel upgrade, rear spoiler and sun prot glass that also looks spot on.

That conincidentally was also another reason for me to not have a 5 series - having a pair of matching cars parked outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
That's the first F10 that I've seen that I actually like the look of,the MSport kit makes a lot of difference, to what is in my mind a jelly mould of a car.

I can't say I like the look of the Audi, and the back end does it no favours, based on looks alone I'd have favoured the Beemer.

Still after 5yrs of a BMW a change is as good as a rest I guess,so good for you Paul, and hopefully the car will do everything you want it too.

"Handling was fantastic and felt a LOT better than the F10 - the feel back through the steering felt less vague than the BMW which felt a little dead and over-assisted."

Are the F10's all electric steering now?
As far as I know the F10's all have electric steering, and on the forum's the dull steering feel seems to be the biggest complaint of owners?

I think I prefer the front end of the Beemer compared to the Audi but love the rear coupe styling of the A7

It really has been an incredibly tough choice - what one car does well, the other less so and vice versa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
Loooks abit "Fleety"/"Reppy" does the A7 in that SE guise. Still she still looks a nice motor.

Get that engine remapped and then get a milltek exhaust on it and you won't miss your V8 sound track quite as much:

Need speakers will listen later when I get home!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

I've owned both pre and post LCI 330d so had both types of steering. Although the LCI immediately felt lighter, you get used to it quite quick and dont really notice the steering being a problem, in my opinion.

My main gripe with the steering is that is it too slow. Far too much turning of the wheel to go around tight bends and takes the fun out of driving it a little. This was the same with pre LCI (which supposed to have servotronic?) and post LCI 330d. I think my missus Fiesta has a quicker rack. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #17
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

yep, if only I could get my 335d to sound like that!!!

won't be happening......

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Is that Milltek vid after their exhaust is fitted?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmallwo View Post
yep, if only I could get my 335d to sound like that!!!

won't be happening......
I was actually dissapointed by the sound, thought it would be deeper, doubt you could hear that over the engine inside the cockpit.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I've owned both pre and post LCI 330d so had both types of steering. Although the LCI immediately felt lighter, you get used to it quite quick and dont really notice the steering being a problem, in my opinion.

My main gripe with the steering is that is it too slow. Far too much turning of the wheel to go around tight bends and takes the fun out of driving it a little. This was the same with pre LCI (which supposed to have servotronic?) and post LCI 330d. I think my missus Fiesta has a quicker rack. lol
I'd like to hear more about your wife's 'rack'

...I'll get my coat .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

F10 in M sport guise would be my choice even though the interior on the A7 looks more futuristic than F10.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Love the Audi mate, good choice!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I'd like to hear more about your wife's 'rack'

...I'll get my coat .
LOL, shhhh, the wife doesnt like talking about her rack.
Appreciate 0