E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW Platinum Extended Warranty vs Ford ESP vs Warranty Direct

05-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
shahils12
BALLER
Rep
Drives: 2K8 E93, 2K8 E60. N54s

OP, which one did you go with, and have you used it?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
LuxeFilms
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow King View Post
So I just purchased a 2007 335i Convertible that is fully loaded with all electronic gizmos including the idrive. I have about 35k miles, but only 8 months left on the original manufactures warranty.

Before you respond with "try using search" or a similar comment I have done my research and need some feedback on specific questions which I have not seen the answer to yet.

I have already decided to purchase an extended warranty so comments regarding if I should get one or if it's worth it are irrelevant. I live in California and with the extended warranty laws and limited choices I have narrowed my selection down to 3. I just need help deciding which one to get! Also, don't confuse extended warranty with the extended maintenance plan, I have seen that way too often.

So I'm looking at the top-tier plans with exclusionary policies, here is the lineup:

1. BMW "Platinum" 7/100k, $50 deductible, $4150 MSRP (might be able to negotiate for somewhere in $3500-$4000)
2. Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) "PremiumCare" 7/100k, $100 deductible, $2500
3. Warranty Direct "ElitePlus" 7/100k, $200 deductible, $1500, $200 deductible (~$2400 for $100 deductible)

The most important thing for me is easy claims processing. If I have an issue I want it to be addressed in a timely manner without hassles. What has your RECENT experiences been with any of the 3 above? I know the least about Ford ESP, your experience with that warranty getting work done at BMW Dealership would be greatly appreciated. I have heard some good, some bad experience stories from Warranty Direct however their BBB rating is A+ (as is Ford ESP).

I think we will all agree that if $$ is not a factor to go with the BMW Platinum. However given it's high markup, is it worth going either of the other two for similar coverage?

If the coverage/price is similar for Ford ESP vs WD, does it make logical sense to go with Ford ESP given that it's backed by Ford? Somehow I feel better that I can just drive up to a B&M location if I need to speak to someone face to face...

If anyone works at a BMW dealership, your feedback on these 3 warranties regarding claims processing would be most beneficial.

Thanks.

So what warranty did you end up going with? Have you had any claims? I'm looking at purchasing a 335 convertible and would love to know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxeFilms View Post
So what warranty did you end up going with? Have you had any claims? I'm looking at purchasing a 335 convertible and would love to know. Thanks!
I ended up going with the BMW warranty. I got a great deal on it, I think the Platinum 7yr/100k was $3200. I've already had to go in for low pressure fuel pump replacement, injector/coil replacement, thermostat sensor replacement, oil pan gasket leak replacement, broken AC vent replacement, and navigation display issue. Out of pocket, the diagnostics and fixing these items would have been very costly. I've been on about 3 or 4 trips to the dealer and each time only pay a deductible of $50. All of this in 2 years, I still have another full year of warranty left!

It's no hassle at the dealership, gives you piece of mind, it's convenient (still get free loaners), I highly recommend it.

Think of it more of an insurance policy. You hope you don't have to ever use it, but if something major does go wrong, you're covered. It's all about how much risk you're willing to take. You can go SANS warranty and have no problems at all for years and save a few grand.Or you can blow your turbos and end of having to pay $5000+ for replacement turbos with labor.
Appreciate 0