E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Okay, Progressing the BMW Douchebag Stereotype...

07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, Progressing the BMW Douchebag Stereotype...

So our office building has the 6-story parking garage above ground but underneath the office floors. I park on the 4th floor of the garage in a space that in is the center structure of the building, so it is a tight space braced by two 2-foot square concrete columns, a steel girder cross brace (guards the passenger door ) and butts up to the service elevator shaft. It's a vault.

Well for the past several weeks they have been adding electric service to the building and ran the new brace of three 6-inch conduits up through the corner of "my" parking space. Installing the conduit required drilling holes in the concrete slab. So for the past three weeks I've been unable to park in my space. Well they finished the electrical work last week, but failed to clean up the mess left by the drilling of the floor. In my space was a pile of concrete tilling and a few nuts and bolts. Totally NOT parkable!

So I've been waiting since Friday of last week for the contractor to clean my parking space. Well they never did, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Yesterday I stopped by the hardware store and bought a heavy-duty industrial broom (I needed a new one for my home garage anyway) and when I got to work I parked my E90 in the isle way right outside my space and went to work with the broom.

As I'm sweeping away (clouds or dry concrete dust billowing up like Pig Pen) a fellow building worker drives by, slows down (my car was really not in the way) and drives by real slow looking at the fool in his dress clothes (Polo dress shirt nonetheless) sweeping clean (what is essentially) a public parking space. I can only imagine what he thought...

Thought I'd share. Stay classy E90 Post.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-27-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

as someone who's worked in construction, I have to say that that is unacceptable, and this isn't from a BMW owner's perspective, just from a contractor's perspective. If any of my subs core drilled and then didn't leave the area at least broom clean when they'd packed up for the day I'd at the very least get a severe dressing down from the GC at the next construction meeting. Whoever did that work has no pride or professionalism and I'd say something to the building engineer of your building... he'll know to whom to complain.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
as someone who's worked in construction, I have to say that that is unacceptable, and this isn't from a BMW owner's perspective, just from a contractor's perspective. If any of my subs core drilled and then didn't leave the area at least broom clean when they'd packed up for the day I'd at the very least get a severe dressing down from the GC at the next construction meeting. Whoever did that work has no pride or professionalism and I'd say something to the building engineer of your building... he'll know to whom to complain.
Appreciate your comments, and I thought to do that (I'm good friends with our facilities manager - who'd be the first step in that chain), but I figured I look like even a bigger douche complaining about a unclean parking space (there are hundreds of other clean spaces to park in). It's just wrapped into the whole downfall of the USA. I'm just riding the Titanic.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

How does this make you seem like a douchebag? If anything, a man sweeping shit off his parking spot makes him seem humble and down to earth haha
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
daviddn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW

Lmao idk why but this is too funny
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by supLOL View Post
How does this make you seem like a douchebag? If anything, a man sweeping shit off his parking spot makes him seem humble and down to earth haha
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddn View Post
Lmao idk why but this is too funny
+1, haha funny because I do shit like this too... HEY we take pride in our stuff!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Some Asian Guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

That's what I would have done too. I live in an apt with an assigned covered parking spot, and I'm out there regularly with a broom sweeping away dirt and rocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

That really doesn't make you seem like you were a douchebag....

I felt like I douchebag the other day when I parked near the very end of a parking lot to stay away from everyone, then as I was walking away from my car, another car came up and parked right next to me. What irritated me was when he adjusted his parking position by coming closer to my car. I immediately turned around, got back in my car, and abruptly parked ten spaces down from him. The other guy kind of scratched his head and walked away.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Your enterprising nature and magnanimity is commendable. I always give props to folks who are willing to stop fussing and just address a problem head on. Not that you had any obligation to do so, given the facts in your anecdote.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you ask the building's management to dispose of the detritus?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
FRRYY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
I felt like I douchebag the other day when I parked near the very end of a parking lot to stay away from everyone, then as I was walking away from my car, another car came up and parked right next to me.