E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AMSOIL

04-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
AMSOIL

Anybody ever use this with their 3 series? My dad swears by it in his 06' Corvette. He has the trans, differential, and engine oil all ams and claims to get 34mpg on the why with his vette. Any thoughts on using this type if oil in a BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Anybody ever use this with their 3 series? My dad swears by it in his 06' Corvette. He has the trans, differential, and engine oil all ams and claims to get 34mpg on the why with his vette. Any thoughts on using this type if oil in a BMW ?
They have their line which is Gr 4/5 with tons of additive which allows 25k mile OCI and they have their OEM stuff which is no better than what u can buy retail (M1/Castrol. etc)

Because of the higher amount of additive they use in their extended drain oils, they will not meet the ACEA standard due to exceeding upper limits of certain types of additive. Their OEM stuff may pass ACEA/OEM tests, but they're too cheap to do it.

AMSOIL's days are numbered as the industry moves to cleaner fuels and more sophisticated emissions systems.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 04-09-2011 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Amsoil is a great product and it is PROVEN to be better than other synthetics, if you wanna buy some become a prefered customer and you can get 3 gallons of the oil I linked for 81 dollars plus shipping to your house.

Oh and trackrat is right, it meets LL-04 standards. Which is a HIGHER standard than LL-01 according to the stuff he posted. If you believe everything BMW tells you they claim the gas in the US will destroy the oil. It will work fine for you though.

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=AFLQT-EA

This forum loves to flame and post INACCURATE information. Trackrat THINKs he knows what all the oils are rated for. As you can see from Amsoil's website their oil is LL-04 certified which means its APPROVED for use in BMW motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Please use the forum search feature before posting these types of questions which have been asked and answered many times.

Amsoil and the other boutique oils do not meet BMW LL-01 oil specs. The OE BMW oils are synthetic and proper for your vehicle. A BMW LL-01 approved oil is a requirement of your new vehicle engine warranty. If you don't care about your warranty or your engine then you can pour whatever pain you want into your engine.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=AMSOIL

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=AMSOIL
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

not another BMW-approved oil argument...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

I recommend the kung PAO chicken and maple syrup based (and Paulaner enhanced) oil.

It must be OK because I recommend it - just like amSOIL recommends their crap.

Make no mistake - amSOIL products are not approved by BMW for use in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
They have their line which is Gr 4/5 with tons of additive which allows 25k mile OCI and they have their OEM stuff which is no better than what u can buy retail (M1/Castrol. etc)

Because of the higher amount of additive they use in their extended drain oils, they will not meet the ACEA standard due to exceeding upper limits of certain types of additive. Their OEM stuff may pass ACEA/OEM tests, but they're too cheap to do it.

AMSOIL's days are numbered as the industry moves to cleaner fuels and more sophisticated emissions systems.
Um, if you look at their website, they tell you to use a 15k interval for their 5w-40 Euro Blend. Not 25k.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
...Oh and trackrat is right, it meets LL-04 standards. Which is a HIGHER standard than LL-01 according to the stuff he posted. If you believe everything BMW tells you they claim the gas in the US will destroy the oil. It will work fine for you though.

This forum loves to flame and post INACCURATE information. Trackrat THINKs he knows what all the oils are rated for. As you can see from Amsoil's website their oil is LL-04 certified which means its APPROVED for use in BMW motors.
No, LL-04 is not a HIGHER standard; it is a DIFFERENT standard that BMW formulated/specified for ultra-low sulphur. In particular, it is required for all BMW Diesel engines in the US: BMW does not recommend it for gasoline engines in the US as the gasoline is not ultra-low-sulphur.

And also, BMW has *NOT* approved any Amsoil oil, as Amsoil won't pay the necessary fees to BMW to do the tests. Amsoil only *CLAIMS* that it meets the standards. Actually, Amsoil claims that their oil meets *ALL* manufacturer standards, which is patently false because they're all a bit different from each other and no one oil can actually do that.
Appreciate 0