E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Next Mods?

04-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Next Mods?

Gang,

Okay so I need to see how I will spend my tax refund this year. I'm really happy with the beast thus far but as always looking for more performance.

Car so far has;

PSS9's
V2
Rear spoiler
Forge DV's
Black lines (installed tonight)
Eissenmann exhaust (fake one)

What I would like to do to the car is as follows, not 100% certain as to the order I'll do them;

Quaife LSD (I am 90% I have the bolted crown, will be taking the back cover off the diff tomorrow to confirm 100%)
Front & rear sway bars
Gruppe M CF intake (I don't like the other's on the mkt thus far). If I do this then I'll also look for a matching CF engine cover.
Vorstner CF hood, painted except for the vents which I would leave in CF
Piano black trim (sick and tired of the brushed alum I presently have
Bembo brakes
Larger radiator/transmission cooler (so as to avoid limps when I eventually track the car.
Intercooler
Catted down pipes (once some come out with flexible joints as I think the engineers in BMW had a good idea when they did that) as I would like to thinks my performance goals don't screw the planet for my kids.

So question for you all is what should I buy first for the car? Keep in mind I love the sleeper look but I drive the car hard & so performance is important. Equally important is trying to keep obvious stuff fairly bolt on, especially in the engine department so the $tealership won't give me too much grief.

At this stage my order of preference is;

LSD
Sways
Trim
Brakes
Intake
Hood
Radiator/Tranny cooler
Intercooler
Downpipes

Thanks in advance.

S
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
I vote for the intake... Mine is one of my cheaper (still too expensive though) mods, and it puts a smie on my face every time i hear it, so good bang for buck

2nd to that I would say a BBK
      04-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks Astra, I'm not so much into the 'bling' factor, more performance orientated. But thanks for your feedback / thoughts.

Anyway tonight I ordered the LSD so that is # 1 off the blocks. Will need to talk to my leasing company as tyre wear will increase .

# 2 will most likely be the piano black interior trim, given I look at that more than anything else when driving it's important to me as the brushed Alum is tacky (shame I did not consider that when buying the car).

Intake I'm going to wait to see what Dinan & Vishnu do in that regard as CF and Montego Blue arn't the best combo, but the Gruppe M does look nice. Hood is a certain upgrade to go with as I love those cut outs.

Brakes I'll assess after a few track days, at the moment it's more bling than necessary IMHO so I may even get the existing calipers powder coated when I'm O/S for a month later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Glad to hear you have started with the LSD

Good luck rubbing the stupid grin off your face!
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
OZ!MSport
-----------------~
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Anyway tonight I ordered the LSD so that is # 1 off the blocks. Will need to talk to my leasing company as tyre wear will increase .
Hey WOPALX,

Sounds like a pretty healthy wish list... Good to see some tasteful mods.
From one 'boy with a toy' to another - I'm interested in how the LSD effects the launch from a dig... Please keep us posted.

04-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
If you have iTunes, search for a Podcast:

Autocar.co.uk
Chris on Camera
LSD makes all the diff-erence

A good 335 with LSD demonstration. ' Or as one piece of balsa wood said to another: "Let's drift!!!" '

Also a good video of the M Diff:

Silverstone M6 - M Variable Differential
Red M6 - Open Differential
Green M5 - 25% LSD

[u2b]CIH0V8pg8jk&eurl[/u2b]
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Glad to hear you have started with the LSD

Good luck rubbing the stupid grin off your face!
The grin is already there and I am keeping an eye out for spots suitable for some drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ!MSport View Post
Hey WOPALX,

Sounds like a pretty healthy wish list... Good to see some tasteful mods.
From one 'boy with a toy' to another - I'm interested in how the LSD effects the launch from a dig... Please keep us posted.

More interested in corners, but will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
If you have iTunes, search for a Podcast:

Autocar.co.uk
Chris on Camera
LSD makes all the diff-erence

A good 335 with LSD demonstration. ' Or as one piece of balsa wood said to another: "Let's drift!!!" '

Also a good video of the M Diff:

Silverstone M6 - M Variable Differential
Red M6 - Open Differential
Green M5 - 25% LSD

[u2b]CIH0V8pg8jk&eurl[/u2b]

Great vids....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

ive done the catted down pipes and the swaybars.... labour intensive jobs...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

so the siver car has the LSD??
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
so the siver car has the LSD??
Yes.

The M Diff uses clutches in the diff to send up to 100% of the torque to the slower rotating wheel, the green M5 has the ability to send an additional 25% to the slower wheel, the red M6 will always just spin the inside rear, making it difficult to get power down out of a corner. When the M diff locks the rears together it is incredibly smooth to transition from straight drive to oversteer and back.

You can feel the diff transferring power on a skidpan, it feels quite strange.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
ive done the catted down pipes and the swaybars.... labour intensive jobs...
I've got the DP's in mind but have yet to decide. There must be a reason BMW made the joint to the manifold/turbos flexible. Combined with several reports of wastegate failures which seam to be more often than not on cars with DP's it's making me hold off.

Will certainly look at sways once the LSD is installed, have been happy with the handling since I installed the coilovers so not convinced they are necessary yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

lemme know when you are getting the LSD, might get one too
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I ordered it today .

There have been some issues with Welded crowns, making the installation of the quaife impossible without doing a full exchange of the diff. Appears the manual cars have more likelihood of the welded crown than the steps.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you the info from Birds in the UK that tells you what info they need to ascertain if you have the welded crown or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Astra, I'm not so much into the 'bling' factor, more performance orientated. But thanks for your feedback / thoughts.

# 2 will most likely be the piano black interior trim, given I look at that more than anything else when driving it's important to me as the brushed Alum is tacky (shame I did not consider that when buying the car).

Intake I'm going to wait to see what Dinan & Vishnu do in that regard as CF and Montego Blue arn't the best combo, but the Gruppe M does look nice. Hood is a certain upgrade to go with as I love those cut outs.

Brakes I'll assess after a few track days, at the moment it's more bling than necessary IMHO so I may even get the existing calipers powder coated when I'm O/S for a month later in the year.
I guess you could interprut a BBK and CAI as bling, but technically they are oerformance mods lol

Very nice choice on the black trim (I have black too), look so much more expensive and classy then the stock standard, cheap alum.

If you don't like regular CF on Montego, how about blue CF? I think I remember seeing it on a colour a little lighter then mine

If you are going to be tracking the car, you might atleast want to considder a brake upgrade, cos untill you have em on, you don't reaise how hard they bite. Although I don't track my car, I really feel like the Brembo's made a differnce
      04-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I guess you could interprut a BBK and CAI as bling, but technically they are oerformance mods lol

Very nice choice on the black trim (I have black too), look so much more expensive and classy then the stock standard, cheap alum.

If you don't like regular CF on Montego, how about blue CF? I think I remember seeing it on a colour a little lighter then mine

If you are going to be tracking the car, you might atleast want to considder a brake upgrade, cos untill you have em on, you don't reaise how hard they bite. Although I don't track my car, I really feel like the Brembo's made a differnce
Brakes are important, but not the priority.

Piano black I will probably order tomorrow, just haggling with the $tealership on price.

Am waiting to see what Dinan & Vishnu do intake wise, CF does not bother me too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Have you considered boosting up the turbo?
Or even just replacing them with some no-nonsense ones?
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Have you considered boosting up the turbo?
Or even just replacing them with some no-nonsense ones?
Not at this stage. V2 runs them significantly higher than stock anyway + one of the best things about the N54 is the lack of lag. Anyone coming from say a turbo charged Subaru would know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Brakes are important, but not the priority.

Piano black I will probably order tomorrow, just haggling with the $tealership on price.

Am waiting to see what Dinan & Vishnu do intake wise, CF does not bother me too much.
Oh well, try to steer clear of metal ones... They are just going to conduct the heat, and could be like having no heat shield at all...
      04-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Oh well, try to steer clear of metal ones... They are just going to conduct the heat, and could be like having no heat shield at all...
CF or plastic will be the go.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #20
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

I find this comment amusing, as you say your after mods for 'performance' then go on and list several performance hindering or non-performance related mods (i.e. trim changes).
Everyone knows that painting/powder coating brake calipers actually makes them less effective as they are unable to cool down efficiently (as the coating is a hinderance to heat transfer) and can result in brake fade (underperformance).
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #21
Mr_T
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Blindfolded

Take a look at UR's CAI, 1/3 of the price and looks real nice.

'07 E90 Jet Black/Black Leather | ZSP| ZPP | ZCW | AT | Paddles | Hartge Lip (Rep) | Blacklines | Ultimate Racing CAI | PROcede v2.0.2-26
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #22
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
I find this comment amusing, as you say your after mods for 'performance' then go on and list several performance hindering or non-performance related mods (i.e. trim changes).
Everyone knows that painting/powder coating brake calipers actually makes them less effective as they are unable to cool down efficiently (as the coating is a hinderance to heat transfer) and can result in brake fade (underperformance).
I've never had any issues with the brakes on any spirited driving I've done thus far. If I start having issues such as fade etc then I'll change them. I was not aware of the issues relating to powder coating the stockers so will take that on board -thanks for the advise.

As for the trim, yes that's pure bling / personal preference. As for CF in the engine bay it's not necessarily CF that will make an intake better. I don't really like the design of the CAI's presently available, the Gruppe M is really nice but if a similar design in OEM style plastic was cheaper then I'd probably invest in that to save a few pennies.
Appreciate 0