E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Into the mid 120's: 125.7 mph Trap Speed

04-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #45
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Thanks, but if I was in the market for a really high hp vehicle, and was willing to suffer through living with a daily driving vehicle that got that crappy of fuel mileage, I'd just update/upgrade my old diesel truck... these big ass domestic diesels have upgrades that make them capable of doing 9 sec 1/4 miles, and will get about the same mpg's as the N54/N55/GTR, and don't need the special alcohol(ethanol)/race fuel to allow them to run high boost/high hp/high trap speeds. And they can go off road. And tow. And haul a bunch of crap... But they don't take high speed corners very well :-)
Oh yea I get that it's just getting harder and harder to find used 335d's all the time. Especially one with the options you want or don't want. I'm not sure what the big difference is in running a meth kit in a gas vs running one in a diesel. You can run distilled water and methanol from Walmart or windshield washer fluid if you want. Definitely don't need a meth kit to get to diesel numbers though. Can run 11's on a stock tune only with intakes. No other mods period with a DCT tranny I saw someone post a while back. As far as mpg with hybrids that part I don't know about as I won't have my new turbos in on the N54 for a couple weeks. As of now there is about a 6mpg difference between the two but I'm in town a lot not much highway. Did your mpg suffer in the diesel at all from stock turbos to hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #46
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inDe View Post
Oh yea I get that it's just getting harder and harder to find used 335d's all the time. Especially one with the options you want or don't want. I'm not sure what the big difference is in running a meth kit in a gas vs running one in a diesel. You can run distilled water and methanol from Walmart or windshield washer fluid if you want. Definitely don't need a meth kit to get to diesel numbers though. Can run 11's on a stock tune only with intakes. No other mods period with a DCT tranny I saw someone post a while back. As far as mpg with hybrids that part I don't know about as I won't have my new turbos in on the N54 for a couple weeks. As of now there is about a 6mpg difference between the two but I'm in town a lot not much highway. Did your mpg suffer in the diesel at all from stock turbos to hybrid?

I haven't experimented with water/methanol injection in a gasoline engine, but have in a couple diesel platforms. There's a lot of published papers on diesel/compression ignition engines using alcohol (ethanol/methanol etc) mixed in with the diesel fuel (using emulsifiers to keep the 2 substances mixed together and lubricity additives to help counteract the lack of lubricity in alcohol... it's somewhat like running ethanol blended fuel in gas engines ... I don't like this approach at all for diesels) or with fumigation (what most diesel users do with nozzles in the intake track). Some behavior characteristics are similar with the 2 methods, some are different. But alcohol supplementation via mixing with fuel or with fumigation, is still alcohol supplementation.

Gasoline cars running high alcohol content fuels also loose significant mpg capability due to the lower energy density of the alcohol portion. Many comparisons on this, but here's one where they measured 26.5% worse mpg's with E85 vs RUG (this is part of the reason I wouldn't like having a daily driver that required E85 to go "fast" ... but if I was looking for a track specific car, this could become a good compromise).
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ison-test.html

Also, I was able to get into the 11's and break 119.9X mph with stock IC, turbo's, fuel system components back in 2014 for very modest costs:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335d-Timeslip-26508.html

Regarding mpg impact... I hand calculate and track every fill up:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=589

The fuel economy on my vehicle with the hybrid LP turbo (the HP turbo is OEM, so only 1 turbo has been modified in my vehicle) is not showing any negative changes. In fact, the car had its highest ever highway mpg for a round trip with the new hybrid LP turbo in the system, with a hand calculated result of 47.2mpg:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=600

One of the things I like about diesels is that modifications that increase power also tend to make them get better fuel efficiency. Kind of the opposite of what seems to happen with gasoline cars, especially when they start using significant alcohol blends in their fuel.
      04-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #47
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
I haven't experimented with water/methanol injection in a gasoline engine, but have in a couple diesel platforms. There's a lot of published papers on diesel/compression ignition engines using alcohol (ethanol/methanol etc) mixed in with the diesel fuel (using emulsifiers to keep the 2 substances mixed together and lubricity additives to help counteract the lack of lubricity in alcohol... it's somewhat like running ethanol blended fuel in gas engines ... I don't like this approach at all for diesels) or with fumigation (what most diesel users do with nozzles in the intake track). Some behavior characteristics are similar with the 2 methods, some are different. But alcohol supplementation via mixing with fuel or with fumigation, is still alcohol supplementation.

Gasoline cars running high alcohol content fuels also loose significant mpg capability due to the lower energy density of the alcohol portion. Many comparisons on this, but here's one where they measured 26.5% worse mpg's with E85 vs RUG (this is part of the reason I wouldn't like having a daily driver that required E85 to go "fast" ... but if I was looking for a track specific car, this could become a good compromise).
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ison-test.html

Also, I was able to get into the 11's and break 119.9X mph with stock IC, turbo's, fuel system components back in 2014 for very modest costs:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335d-Timeslip-26508.html

Regarding mpg impact... I hand calculate and track every fill up:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=589

The fuel economy on my vehicle with the hybrid LP turbo (the HP turbo is OEM, so only 1 turbo has been modified in my vehicle) is not showing any negative changes. In fact, the car had its highest ever highway mpg for a round trip with the new hybrid LP turbo in the system, with a hand calculated result of 47.2mpg:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=600

One of the things I like about diesels is that modifications that increase power also tend to make them get better fuel efficiency. Kind of the opposite of what seems to happen with gasoline cars, especially when they start using significant alcohol blends in their fuel.
That's even more impressive only one turbo replaced! The N54 gets better gas mileage as well modded and tuned probably 3-4mpg on average with pump gas. Now e85 is horrible but has huge trade offs. Had a huge HP/Tq increase and burns a lot colder which lowers the IAT's. Also the last time I filled our barrel up it was almost a $1.00 per gallon cheaper than 93. I haven't really done the math honestly to see how it works out monetarily. Nothing compares to the feel of the D from the launch or lower speeds where the torque really shines. On the highway 70+ the lack of HP really hurts it and the 335i pulls away hard. Curious is there an upgrade for the other turbo that could help in the mid range with more HP? Couldn't even imagine how fast your car would be with HP like the N54. Probably be in the mid to high 10's with some slicks lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #48
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

That is a pretty odd statement as the tuned 335Ds on the highway are very fast, especially if they aren't shifted very high in the rpm range to keep them in their peak torque range...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #49
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

This guy sounds like he's never encountered a modded 335d.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #50
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Such a great post derailed by gasser talk
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #51
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I always thought there was a separate forum for N54s. After a few posts about how great tuned 335i they all started to sound the same. I must give credit for how many ways one can say the same thing over and over....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #52
JayNC335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d w/ Sport pkg

He probably hasn't encountered a 335d with the modded red air scoops. He def would have seen the potential then!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #53
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

wait...Wait....WAIT?!?! RED SCOOPS!! I have a RED car....I need those red scoops in my life

On another gasser related topic - my friend just did a single (big) turbo swap for his N54 E92, and it has me thinking about selling my S/C E93 M3 and getting a E93 N54 as a project car....

60-160 acceleration in that car is mind numbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #54
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

TDI,
Could you elaborate on your Turbo/tune combo?

You are running the Pro Turbo with JRs tune?

Is this JR's new stage 4 setup with higher output fuel pump?

Or is it still the old stage 3 with the new turbo?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #55
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
TDI,
Could you elaborate on your Turbo/tune combo?

You are running the Pro Turbo with JRs tune?

Is this JR's new stage 4 setup with higher output fuel pump?

Or is it still the old stage 3 with the new turbo?

Thanks
Pro Turbo LP hybrid that's a little different than standard due to the use of an EWG.

The tune is an older stage ~2.5. But I'm wrapping some custom sensor manipulation around that tune which has been optimized to work with that version. And work with the strategy for how I'm implementing the water/methanol injection.
      05-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #56
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pro Turbo LP hybrid that's a little different than standard due to the use of an EWG.

The tune is an older stage ~2.5. But I'm wrapping some custom sensor manipulation around that tune which has been optimized to work with that version. And work with the strategy for how I'm implementing the water/methanol injection.

Wow so there is virtually NOTHING repeatable out of your setup.... Amazing that you are getting that out of the 2.5 though!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #57
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow so there is virtually NOTHING repeatable out of your setup.... Amazing that you are getting that out of the 2.5 though!
There's a lot of "one off" redneck engineered things going on with my vehicle :-)
      05-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #58
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

It may be 2.5 tune in name but the ramping of the fuel and meth with rpm and boost is more like "Mach 3+". This is an SR-71 term
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #59
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
It may be 2.5 tune in name but the ramping of the fuel and meth with rpm and boost is more like "Mach 3+". This is an SR-71 term
I'd suggest there may be some interesting new info coming from Jarek in the near future. This might be the year of multiple sub 12 second, 120+ mph 335d's...
      05-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #60
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
There's a lot of "one off" redneck engineered things going on with my vehicle :-)
I think you have an engineering degree so redneck doesn't fit.. lol
      05-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #61
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I'd suggest there may be some interesting new info coming from Jarek in the near future. This might be the year of multiple sub 12 second, 120+ mph 335d's...
TDI, when i was on the phone with Jarek back in Spring of 2015, when i requested to get similar tune as your and keep referring to your car during our conversations i got a feeling that you guys communicate a lot...

By the statement above your got me really intrigued)))

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 05-08-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #62
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Im not at all familiar with out tuning works...but my guess is that what you are saying is that the fuel/air mix mapping continues on even when more boost is added via different turbos.....

Much like adding meth doesnt require a new tune, output is automatically improved.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #63
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Im not at all familiar with out tuning works...but my guess is that what you are saying is that the fuel/air mix mapping continues on even when more boost is added via different turbos.....

Much like adding meth doesnt require a new tune, output is automatically improved.
Maybe. But can get complicated due to how the DDE checks itself.

However, there are definitely ways to optimize behavior when making hardware modifications that are easier to do by remapping the DDE.

As an example, testing a new version of the DDE from Jarek has found some power over the older DDE I've been running.

This weekends measurements show about 20 whp improvement over the previous DDE.

Note: The way I'm measuring hp/tq is different than Jarek, so direct hp/tq numbers are not valid.
Attached Images

iaknown425.00
      05-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #64
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
This weekends measurements show about 20 whp improvement over the previous DDE.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #65
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Maybe.
As an example, testing a new version of the DDE from Jarek has found some power over the older DDE I've been running.

The way I'm measuring hp/tq is different than Jarek, so direct hp/tq numbers are not valid.
Hey TDI, what stage this "new version ECU"?
If i remember correctly you have spare and can do a tune without downtime but you wouldnt get another stage 2.5+ on this spare??? And if you got 2.8 then its not a direct comparison!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #66
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Hey TDI, what stage this "new version ECU"?
If i remember correctly you have spare and can do a tune without downtime but you wouldnt get another stage 2.5+ on this spare??? And if you got 2.8 then its not a direct comparison!
Well, I don't think it has a name/number. However, it is largely based off the 2.5'ish one I had been running.

I do own 2 DDE's, and can interchange them. But Jarek/Andrew have enough DDE's now that they can prepare a tune and ship a DDE to you, so you don't have any down time except for what it takes to swap out the DDE. Although, I believe they need your original one at least once:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=10