E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Cuts Out on Hot Days

02-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Imparo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 E90 320i

Bluetooth Cuts Out on Hot Days

Hi Everyone,

I have looked high and low and am not able to find anyone else having this type of issue but was wondering if anyone can give me ideas.

My Bluetooth works fine and connects with any phone that I have tried - absolutely no problems.

BUT on hot days the Bluetooth cuts off and the connectin is lost. A few (up to 10) seconds later it reconnects. Therefore, if I am on a call I will be on it as per normal without problems. Then all of a sudden the bluetooth connection is lost - at this point I lose the ability to hear or talk unless I reactivate the handset and talk through the handset. Alternatively if I wait a few seconds it will reconnect.

Things I have tried by readingthe forums:
- I have checked all the BT cables - all properly connected.
- I have opened the boot/trunk floor up so that the BT box can have lots of freshair (just in case it was overheating) - problem still occurs.
- I have tried different phones (including one that was originally recommended - still causes problems.
- I have turned off the wifi and internet connection on the phone - without luck - the cut out still occurs.
- I asked the dealer to look at the Bluetooth - he said there were no issues with it and that he had no ideas.

Recently I have tried something else; I turned off the Bluetooth itself when I started to have problems on a hot day to see if the actual audio system is a problem and here is the strange thing. The radio itself on hot days will briefly cut out and go silent for about a second (only on hot days as well). But the strange thing is that when the Bluetooth is connected on a call and it cuts out the radio itself turns on automatically without an issue. My only thought is that it is only a split second issue and by the time the BT cuts out the radio is ready to turn on.

The radio system is just the BMW Professional Radio - I was thinking of upgrading to the better Alpine system thinking that this would include a new Amp and thus overcome a possible amplifier issue that may exist in the Audio system.

I do know that the M Series (which I dont have) did have a problem with the Individual Audio systems having a similar problem in that the amp had no fan and was overheating!

But before I spend $1K on this trial, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas????
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Car year and model?? 2005 E90 320 as in your profile? Did they market the first E90s in Australia as 2005 models?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Well if it only occurs when it's hot outside it sounds like a heat issue. However you said you left it uncovered and it produced the same result. Your module could just be going...you do have a 2005. I'm guessing your out of warranty so the dealer's not an option. Do you have any other bluetooth accessories in the car? Maybe a wireless headset or something? Nav that has bluetooth? Maybe another accessory is try to pair with your phone and that's the reason your phone disconnects and reconnects.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Imparo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Car year and model?? 2005 E90 320 as in your profile? Did they market the first E90s in Australia as 2005 models?
Yes It is the 2005 E90 320i. No iDrive - just the basic BMW Professional radio. The car was delivered in August 2005. It was on the first shipment here in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Imparo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Well if it only occurs when it's hot outside it sounds like a heat issue. However you said you left it uncovered and it produced the same result. Your module could just be going...you do have a 2005. I'm guessing your out of warranty so the dealer's not an option. Do you have any other bluetooth accessories in the car? Maybe a wireless headset or something? Nav that has bluetooth? Maybe another accessory is try to pair with your phone and that's the reason your phone disconnects and reconnects.
I have made sure that there is no other Bluetooth asseccory as well - there is nothing else trying to connect. I can confirm it is only a heat issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I had this exact same issue on my 2006 which only had professional radio. While the car was under warrenty the dealer did software upgrades and even replaced the head unit in the car but it never resolved the issue. I was convinced the problem was actually with the bluetooth unit itself. I tried 3 different manufacture phones and it was the same with all. A friend of mine has the same issue. So far, the bluetooth in the LCI is working flawlessly with the same phone..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Steve320d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 320d

I've just experienced the same problem in my 320d 2008 model with iDrive. Bluetooth just stopped working. I have been searching this site for answers but it appears that no-one has been able to reolve.

Has anyone had anyluck resoving this issue recently? Should I replace the TCU?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

Imparo, just noticed it these last few hot days? I've been having slightly similar problems. (with an amp i mounted next to the bluetooth module).

I am having a cooling channel made to add a fan to that area in the boot to cool down both the bluetooth module and the new amp. The heat in that area has absolutely nowhere to go and even when I remove the cover (as you have done) it has done, nothing!

I will let you know (if I remember) how my cooling channel goes.

Many other car manufacturers put their BT modules under a seat for this exact reason.

How long does the module go down for?

If you do a full restart of the car (shutdown, key out, key in, start) does it come back up again immediately?
Appreciate 0