E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm

06-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #331
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

I've been in no hurry, since this project has been going on for a couple months now. I've installed the siren in the wheel well and the hood switch. This morning it was below 80 degrees outside so I thought I'd go for the motion sensor.

The E91 puts the sensor in the front overhead switch pack/ceiling light, since there is no rear console. Anyone have any luck at getting it down without breaking the headliner or switch pack? I've looked at all the pictures here, I know about the two spring catches, and the owner's manual just says to push a screwdriver (!) up there (if the sunroof motor fails) ... I've tried most of my box of nylon and plastic trim tools and neither catch will budge. Does anyone have any "helpful hints"?

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #332
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

OK -- got it!

(Like most things connections BMW if you keep working at it, it eventually surrenders. I didn't break anything, which is amazing because the plastic is pretty chintzy plastic.)

As noted above, you need the extra trim piece for the ultrasonic monitor.

I used 3M trim tape to mount the unit instead of the BMW Sikaflex adhesive goo.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #333
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep

...so the clown nose blinks! (Which is mainly why I bought the alarm.)

I don't particularly like the "chirp" feature (on our Hondas it chirps on the second "lock" push) and I have CA so the "panic" feature is basically useless.

Any other reason to take it to the dealer for reprogramming before the inevitable recall for new software?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #334
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 328i

Total Cost: $170. Installed. Activated. Add $2.77 for Starbucks for worlds best SA.

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
E90 325xi BSM/Terra ZSP ZPP ZCW Adaptive Xenons SAT 3rd pedal
Gone
E53 X5 3.0i Black Sapphire/Truffle ZPP ZCW ZRC Xenon Nav
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #335
gresh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8iXdrive

Perfect DIY

Let me start by saying, this DIY is absolutely AWESOME. I took my 325i in for a minor problem with the passenger side door lock and while I was waiting for them to fix it, i priced a car alarm. The alarm cost $323 USD with tax and the install for it was $425 (no, thats not a mistake). Needless to say, that dealer did NOT get a 5 from me (and I told him a few places that he could put his $425 Anyhow, after looking at the alarm and talking with the parts guy, I decided to just buy the alarm and install it myself. I found this site in google and installed the alarm in less than an hour and that included jacking and blocking the car (because it doesnt have a jack, so I had to use one from another car).

Asolultely GREAT job!!

One note. I use a plastic drywall/puddy knife from the dollar store to take the rear dome light apart. works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #336
johung
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e92

I just finished this DIY tonight for my E92. Instructions were straightforward and easy to follow. Thanks for the write-up. However I did stumble on a problem:

--The motion sensors do not work consistently. Sometimes it'll work only if I get really close to the sensors, however simply putting my hand in the car through an open window will not set off the alarm. The "clown nose" does blink though.

I haven't had the alarm activated by the dealer yet, however I've read most people have the alarm functioning properly to some extent even before full activation.
Is it because I have an old software update?? I bought the car this march 2008.

AW E92 335i | WORK VS-XX | KW V2
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #337
excel
Rep
Drives: 328i

Possible to activate before install?

Does anyone definitively know whether it is possible to have the dealer activate the alarm prior to the actual install? I'm thinking of asking my dealer to do the activation during the PDI since they will have the car hooked up to the computer anyway. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #338
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by raitheslacker View Post
you can save urself a bunch of money by doing the update urself considering you already have the proper equipment.
u can download the flash updates/drivers for the alarm activation here for $30 http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/.
next you need a PTT (Pass Through Tool) and run progman then flash ur bios. then thats it.
after that follow the installation pdf instructions at the end.
just did mine using a friends PTT and my alarm activated with no problem. chirps. tilt sensor works. hood sensor works. everything works. all for $30.
That's a great PDF. Hopefully the OP or a mod can add it to the original post. Here it is again in case you missed it.

excel, the pdf says the alarm should be programmed PRIOR to install.

And for all the people getting crazy quotes for programming the alarm, it was stated much earlier in this thread that the dealer can only charge 1.5 hrs for programming.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90ALARM[1].pdf (331.6 KB, 371 views)
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #339
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrabassett786 View Post
Total Cost: $170. Installed. Activated. Add $2.77 for Starbucks for worlds best SA.
the alarm costs you $170?? where at?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #340
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

microsoft cashback 35% off buy it now on ebay

E90 328i Space Gray/Chestnut ZMP 2MF ZP2 ZV2 ZCV ZCW-washers HK SAT 3rd Pedal ED 2011.10.10
Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #341
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrabassett786 View Post
microsoft cashback 35% off buy it now on ebay
is that some microsoft employee special?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #342
carrabassett786
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
is that some microsoft employee special?
nope, search for something on their crappy live.com and click the sponsor link to ebay at the top

Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #343
mpbmw3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI

hi All

I have a different question. I just moved to Europe and took my 2008 model 335xi with me. I had the factory alarm installed before i left. Now, to get a certain insurance rating on the car, i need to prove the component numbers and check with BMW they are the same ones as they use here.

Can someone provide me with the exact product numbers on each component that makes up the ordered accessory number 65-12-0-403-658??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #344
mpbmw3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI

or better yet, perhaps someone has the original BMW installation guide for that accessory number? I assume that has all the necessary information...if anyone could send that to me at ples1 at hotmail dot com. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #345
bunting11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

There still seems to be some ongoing confusion - does the dealer HAVE to do any re-programming before the install, or is it perfectly OK to do the install and then have the dealer do the activation? Most folks seem to have done the install and then the activation, but some posts indicate taht the dealer wants to do some re-programming before the install, then the install, then the activation.

Plus, for those of you who have done the activation - how long has it actually taken the dealer. Some posts say minutes while others say hours?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #346
excel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbmw3 View Post
hi All

I have a different question. I just moved to Europe and took my 2008 model 335xi with me. I had the factory alarm installed before i left. Now, to get a certain insurance rating on the car, i need to prove the component numbers and check with BMW they are the same ones as they use here.

Can someone provide me with the exact product numbers on each component that makes up the ordered accessory number 65-12-0-403-658??

Thanks!
The part numbers can be found in the PDF that was attached a few posts above yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #347
excel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunting11 View Post
There still seems to be some ongoing confusion - does the dealer HAVE to do any re-programming before the install, or is it perfectly OK to do the install and then have the dealer do the activation? Most folks seem to have done the install and then the activation, but some posts indicate taht the dealer wants to do some re-programming before the install, then the install, then the activation.

Plus, for those of you who have done the activation - how long has it actually taken the dealer. Some posts say minutes while others say hours?
Yeah, I'm still a bit confused about this, but basically what the official PDF says is assuming the full install is done by the dealer they should do it in 3 steps:

1. Scan the car to make sure it has the required software updates. If not apply the updates.
2. Physically install the alarm components
3. Connect to the computer again to do the activation.

For brand new E9x I'm assuming the software is already up to date, so my question was whether step 2 & 3 can be done in reverse order. I did some searching and found that when the e46 guys were asking the same question it is indeed possible (for the E46 they just have to activate to get the clown nose blinking) but some dealers would not activate before install because it would throw a bunch of codes that couldn't be cleared or something. But again this was E46 specific info. Anyway I'll be asking my dealer this question soon and will follow up with the answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #348
2008BLANCO335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335E92

Thanks CC 330i!

This was a fast and simple install thanks to your instructions!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #349
bunting11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Alarm Activation

Well, I took the route most recommended here, and went ahead and bought (from Tischer) and installed the alarm, and then contacted my dealer to make an appointment to "activate" the alarm since everything except the lock/unlock chrip seems to work fine. Surprise . . . my dealer said they'd have to uninstall the alarm, re-program the computer, re-install the alarm and then do the activation. I said the car is only a month old, what software updates would it possibly need, plus the web is full of posts that indicate only the "activation" is required. The dealer wasn't budging and insisted the entire process was required, and it would probably take ALL DAY. The good news is that they said they'd only charge me $110.

In disgust a called a different dealer that I've never done business with and they said, "yes, they could do just an activation," and they'd do it for free even though I didn't buy the car or the alarm there. Go figure !

Now I know each dealer is somewhat "independent," but shouldn't there be some consistency over how the alarm activation process should work and what it should cost? Why should something that seems pretty simple be so complex and different depending on what dealer you're dealing with?

Plus, why should it take "hours" to either re-program the computer or activate the alarm. I could entirely re-build a laptop or desktop in less time. Why should activating the "chirp" take hours? Seems like that should take minutes. Is it that the dealers just DON'T know what they're doing when it comes to the computer/electronics? Or has BMW made the onboard computer to quirky or complex?

Again, this whole process just seems more complex than it should be. If the car is pre-wired for the alarm, why isn't the computer pre-programmed to accept the almarm without requiring hours of software work?????

Uggghhhh . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #350
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Actually, it is more complicated than most people would think....In conclusion: if you guys are complaining that dealer takes a day to put in an alarm, think again because it can take up to 2 weeks!
It took me about an hour, all done on a driveway. No "activation" was needed - let alone full reflash as the S/W version was high enough to support the alarm unit I got. Didn't care about the chirp, so no trip to a dealer for it to be set was needed either.

Any simple job can be made a nightmare if botched up by people who don't know what they are doing or do not follow simple safety procedures.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #351
2006bmw
First Class Privates
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I installed mine a while ago, but the clown nose did not start flashing. I didn't get it activated, but had to take the car to the dealer for something else, so I asked them to activate the alarm. They tried for most of the day, but no luck. They told me the car responds as if there is an alarm, but it won't chirp or anything else. They say they're almost 100% sure it is the alarm module. They offered to troubleshoot, but they'd charge me for it, and it would take at least an hour, plus activation, plus if the module is messed up, I'd have to buy a new set. Looks like I wasted $200 and a couple of hours of time installing it.
      08-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #352
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Doesn't OEM parts and accessories like the alarm have warranty?

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0