Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Getting Continential DW installed tomorrow

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #23
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I got the car back yesterday after work so I've only had two drives on the new tires.

I honestly can't give a full review just yet because it's still ~40 degrees out, I've had the tires for less than 24 hours, they're definitely not broken in and I really haven't driven on them.

But from what I have noticed, I'm really liking them and my decision so far. The sidewall is definitely stiffer than the DWS. There is considerably less body roll and my car seems stiffer and straighter throughout turns. The ride is comfortable, but unexpectedly a bit loud. If they're this loud brand new, I know they'll be ultra loud after 10k or 15k. I had summer tires in the distant past and now remember how loud they were after a short time.

The overall handling is superior to others tires I've had (just compared to the stock runflats and prior DWS I had). I can't stress enough how responsive these tires are. It's a completely different feel in responsiveness. I feel like I can avoid potholes like a champ now. The ride overall is a little bit more sensitive though. I can feel the bumps and breaks in the road considerably more than the DWS, but less than the original horrible run flats.

That's all I have for now. So far so good every1. Will post a follow up after they're broken in and the weather gets nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
oby_1
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oby_1 View Post
i just got these installed as well. as soon as i'm back in town and get a little experience with them, i'll report back....
went out on a little test run. car drives so much smoother now. don't have to avoid little bumps in the road as much. precision feels perfect for what I need out of them. the main benefit is i can finally hook up in 1st and 2nd now. overall, satisifed. hope they last though....

of course, i'm coming off of stock run flats so my excitement may be overzealous.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #25
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

I had a set of DW's. They were smooth, quiet and cheap but too soft for my tastes. They stiffened up with a few more PSI and a few thousand miles.

They are rated 5th in Tirerack's surveys, behind PSS, S-04, PS2 and RE050A Pole Position (go-flat).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
See. I totally disagree.
They were extremely sticky. I had excellent traction in all conditions.

The problem was that they were structurally too soft for the already FUBAR rear suspension of te 135i.

I hear of a lot of people getting DW tires here with e90s and just want to know what about them they like, what the sidewall stiffness is like.

Any regrets getting them? Any complaints?

These are legitimate questions and concerns.

Also, in the NE US, I'd do better with all-seasons. We have shitty roads, snow, ice, rain, and some dirt roads.

I don't need something to emulate a track tire on the streets of NYC, or on the dirt roads of NH.
This is a few months late...
but yes I agree the DWS is very soft and makes the car feel imprecise on turn in. I had a set on my wife's IS250. They were VERY comfortable for a long drive though. We live in dallas and drove that thing to Breckenridge Colorado and back and ride was great. I have a set of Conti DW on my 330i and they performed as advertised. Not nearly as crisp as RE050 or PS2 (previous tires i've had) and slightly less crisp than Sumitomo HTRZIII (also previous tire) but they are WAY more comfortable than those. And since I don't autoX or track my car anymore (got a 150k miles... lol) the conti DW fit what I need for daily driving and having moderate comfort while still having pretty good to really good performance (just may not be as crisp at the limit).

That being said, looks like you need an All season tire with where you live. From everything I've heard from reviews and a couple friends who have made the purchase the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is as crisp and responsive as a true max performance summer tire while still giving you some benefits of an all season tire. They may not be the best in snow but looks like they're good in rain and some colder temps. Might want to look into those. They are a bit more pricey than other All Seasons though... I did have a set of the Michelin A/S 2 Plus and they were EXCELLENT all season tires, very quiet while still having relatively good performance (not quite the level of the DW but definitely better than the DWS as far as handling benefits)

good luck!
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Skye View Post
This is a few months late...
but yes I agree the DWS is very soft and makes the car feel imprecise on turn in. I had a set on my wife's IS250. They were VERY comfortable for a long drive though. We live in dallas and drove that thing to Breckenridge Colorado and back and ride was great. I have a set of Conti DW on my 330i and they performed as advertised. Not nearly as crisp as RE050 or PS2 (previous tires i've had) and slightly less crisp than Sumitomo HTRZIII (also previous tire) but they are WAY more comfortable than those. And since I don't autoX or track my car anymore (got a 150k miles... lol) the conti DW fit what I need for daily driving and having moderate comfort while still having pretty good to really good performance (just may not be as crisp at the limit).

That being said, looks like you need an All season tire with where you live. From everything I've heard from reviews and a couple friends who have made the purchase the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is as crisp and responsive as a true max performance summer tire while still giving you some benefits of an all season tire. They may not be the best in snow but looks like they're good in rain and some colder temps. Might want to look into those. They are a bit more pricey than other All Seasons though... I did have a set of the Michelin A/S 2 Plus and they were EXCELLENT all season tires, very quiet while still having relatively good performance (not quite the level of the DW but definitely better than the DWS as far as handling benefits)

good luck!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #28
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

ugh im supposed to be getting my dws 235.40.18 and 265.35.40 now im on the fence with all these reviews i hear some people like em and some dont, i mean im looking for good tires to protect my rims as much as i can i live in chicago and we all know how bad the streets are and i dont wanna get pss because i heard like 10 k and then ur in need for new tires can anyone direct me to some good tires and whats it matter if the side wall is "soft " sorry im a tire noobie! please advice asap ima call tirerack soon,
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #29
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

When my DWS' run out of tread, I'm replacing them with Pilot Sport A/S 3's. The DWS is just too mushy and inconsistent of a tire for my tastes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #30
Facts Only
OTCQX:ZERO
Rep
Drives: AOT

Having ran both DW's and PSS's I can truest say the PSS is a better tire, with that in mind I'd also bring up the price point of the two. For the money the DW is pretty hard to beer for a street tire considering how much cheaper it is compared to the PSS.