E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on options

06-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Sorry stupid question Number 2! From someone who doesn't (yet) own an MP3/iPod. Can you connect most MP3 players to the USB port in lieu of the Aux socket? And, therefore, I assume it charges the player via USB, negating the need for a separate charger to the cigarette lighter socket? - Told you it was a dumb question

PS. Anyone wanna buy some LP's and Cassettes that I have in the loft?
There are a number of MP3 players that are compatible with the 6FL option. I would assume that like the Bluetooth option there are many more that may work but just haven't been fully tested by BMW.
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B650807g.htm
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachment...tachment_A.pdf
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachment...tachment_B.pdf

You can also use it with a USB memory stick. Given the low cost of these that looks rather interesting.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #24
AndyB
It's got to be an "i"
Rep
Drives: F82 M4CP, X6, X3 M40i on order

Agree with the sentiment above to get the best engine you can, it'll be much more fun than the other stuff.. If you are limited to those engines and still want them, go for it. I have all of them except the high beam assist and find them pretty good. Active cruise is amazing, I badly sprained my ankle yesterday and while I can still drive it hurts a bit to keep having to maintain distances, the active cruise is flawless and it doesn't let you fall asleep, it can only maintain distances in normal driving, if some chump pulls in front of you then you still need to take control and it even beeps at you! Which is actually much safer in my view than any other car on the road without this as without the beep, if you were distracted in the cabin, you'd be in trouble.

Adaptive headlights are very nifty, if you do much country lane driving, get these.

From the rest of the options, the only one I would leave out is the automatic high beam adjust thing.. if it doesn't pick up a car or bike coming the other way, you'll be at risk of causing an accident.. My view anyway.

Enjoy placing the order. And if you go for active cruise, enjoy watching people look at it in carparks wondering what the hell it is
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #25
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
And if you go for active cruise, enjoy watching people look at it in carparks wondering what the hell it is
What is the external differences with active cruise? Any chance of a pic or two to illustrate?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #26
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Thought I'd add my thoughts after spending a day with an E91 325d:

Although there are a lot of improvements over my E46, there are also a number of areas where they have actually gone backwards.

In comparison to my E46 SE the MSport is great, the level of adjustability of the seats is great, aided by the ability to tilt the seat base. The increased girth of the steering wheel is nice as is the shortened gearstick.

The controls are generally all neat, intuitive and fall to hand, but the flat expanse of dash seems to be curved away from you when you're used to the lovely driver focussed dash of the E46. The window controls are a shade too far forwards, presumably to cater for those with knee problems (too close to the ground ). The central armrest is a massive improvement as it's not in the way of using the handbrake like the E46 one is.

The cruise control stalk though is I think the biggest retrograde. The old system of the buttons on the steering wheel allows you to cruise with a thumb on the disconnect button, without having to grope for the correct stalk to disconnect. I guess you get used to it (or use the brakes), but I'd rather have the stereo controls on the stalk than the cruise. The mark on the outside of the speedo is nice as is the info flashed up in the centre of the dash as you set a speed.

The doors don't close with quite the same thunk of the E46, there is just a shade more metallic noise that there used to be. Even after almost four years it often takes me a couple of goes to shut the door on the E46, but there was no such problem with the E91.

The wing mirrors are also less useful than they used to be. The style of the new mirrors is undeniably better than those on the E46, but as a rear view device the big square slabs on the E46 give you a much better view of what's around you and are better for reversing. The price of styling and lower noise I guess.

The boot is also a little disappointing. The cover in front of the first aid kit and triangle just falls out Okay it's neat and tidy when stowed, but a hinge on the bottom is what I would expect.

The actual drive is much improved over my E46. The MSport suspension, is firm, but compliant. Given that about 50% of my daily commute is motorway and 50% is stop-start city grind the ride is no problem. There is a stretch of motorway I travel where the inside lane is seriously rutted from HGV use to the point that you get two rivers of water whenever it rains. The E46 gets severely upset by all the camber changes as you cross the ruts, whereas the E91 was much more composed.

...and so to the 325d specific comments...

Smooth and powerful. Okay it doesen't feel that much more powerful than my 320d, but the way that it delivers the power is certainly more impressive. You need a few revs on to get the turbo spinning if you want to really move, but equally you can stick it in 6th at 35mph So long as you've got about a thousand revs on board it'll pull.

I could start a whole new thread to argue about acoustics, but I you can tell that there is a six cylinder under the bonnet and that it's a diesel. It's more of an off beat idle than a diesel clatter that morphs into a deep but definite six cylinder howl at higher revs.

...and congrats if you just read through all that

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
Definitely agree about the cruise control, the e46 wheel controls were much easier to use.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #28
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

And it is very easy to mistake the cruise control stalk for the indicator.......
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
robrob
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xd M Sport LCI

Garage List
Some decent observations there mjh93sa. After thousands of miles, I still find the cruise controls a little bit irritating. The braking function and LCD readout of your cruise speed are great improvements, but I was very used to sitting making little speed adjustments with my thumbs in my 330cd.

I also keep finding myself putting the rear windows down rather than the fronts, as the fronts are so far forward.

Again , the dipping mirror on reverse function has a much reduced travel and viewable area - not so good for protecting these alloys.

That all said, the best engine (and steering wheel) I've had in a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #30
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Have to also agree about the cruise control. Hate having to take my hand off the steering to switch off/on the damn thing. I keep getting the indicator stalk and cruise stalk mixed up (will come with practice no doubt)

I do love the +1/+5, -1/-5 mph increments though. This is a handy feature when coming from one speed limit road to another. Sitting at 80 on the Motorway, I pull it back fully twice and can feel the car brake itself down to 70 mph quickly. Very Handy
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Thought I'd add my thoughts after spending a day with an E91 325d:

Although there are a lot of improvements over my E46, there are also a number of areas where they have actually gone backwards.

In comparison to my E46 SE the MSport is great, the level of adjustability of the seats is great, aided by the ability to tilt the seat base. The increased girth of the steering wheel is nice as is the shortened gearstick.

The controls are generally all neat, intuitive and fall to hand, but the flat expanse of dash seems to be curved away from you when you're used to the lovely driver focussed dash of the E46. The window controls are a shade too far forwards, presumably to cater for those with knee problems (too close to the ground ). The central armrest is a massive improvement as it's not in the way of using the handbrake like the E46 one is.

The cruise control stalk though is I think the biggest retrograde. The old system of the buttons on the steering wheel allows you to cruise with a thumb on the disconnect button, without having to grope for the correct stalk to disconnect. I guess you get used to it (or use the brakes), but I'd rather have the stereo controls on the stalk than the cruise. The mark on the outside of the speedo is nice as is the info flashed up in the centre of the dash as you set a speed.

The doors don't close with quite the same thunk of the E46, there is just a shade more metallic noise that there used to be. Even after almost four years it often takes me a couple of goes to shut the door on the E46, but there was no such problem with the E91.

The wing mirrors are also less useful than they used to be. The style of the new mirrors is undeniably better than those on the E46, but as a rear view device the big square slabs on the E46 give you a much better view of what's around you and are better for reversing. The price of styling and lower noise I guess.

The boot is also a little disappointing. The cover in front of the first aid kit and triangle just falls out Okay it's neat and tidy when stowed, but a hinge on the bottom is what I would expect.

The actual drive is much improved over my E46. The MSport suspension, is firm, but compliant. Given that about 50% of my daily commute is motorway and 50% is stop-start city grind the ride is no problem. There is a stretch of motorway I travel where the inside lane is seriously rutted from HGV use to the point that you get two rivers of water whenever it rains. The E46 gets severely upset by all the camber changes as you cross the ruts, whereas the E91 was much more composed.

...and so to the 325d specific comments...

Smooth and powerful. Okay it doesen't feel that much more powerful than my 320d, but the way that it delivers the power is certainly more impressive. You need a few revs on to get the turbo spinning if you want to really move, but equally you can stick it in 6th at 35mph So long as you've got about a thousand revs on board it'll pull.

I could start a whole new thread to argue about acoustics, but I you can tell that there is a six cylinder under the bonnet and that it's a diesel. It's more of an off beat idle than a diesel clatter that morphs into a deep but definite six cylinder howl at higher revs.

...and congrats if you just read through all that
Good review, can't wait to collect mine tomorrow now
      06-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I think the cruise control on my e90 335d is a million lightyears advancement on my E46 325 convertible. The ability for the car to break to keep you at a speed and also to set precisely the speed via the stalk is amazing...I use it far more now than I ever did on the 'vert. Why would you want a thumb on the disconnect button ? If you want cruise control off use your break or accelerator however gently you require, hovering a thumb over the button for anything other than a short period would seem unnatural to me but horses for courses I guess.

The most annoying thing from a move like this is reaching for the electric windows and opening the rear windows rather than the front due to positioning - anyone else had that?!

I love the sound of the 335d diesel...someone once said on here that it sounds like a V8 and I know what they mean (it doesn't, but when you put your foot down it you can hear it roar and that's good enough).

Haven't noticed anything falling around in the boot and the space (I suppose I'm comparing to a convertible) is like a tardis.

I know what you mean about wing mirrors but i'm loving the auto dimming and folding option. Looks good, works well and helps out in car parks with over-zealous door openers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
The window controls are a shade too far forwards, presumably to cater for those with knee problems
True - I think they modelled this on someone with extraordinary long arms (Mr Tickle) you will sort of get used to it, but every so often you'll still wind down the back windows by mistake.

Quote:
Trust me - you will get used to the new system and realise that it is MASSIVELY better than the one in the e46. I disliked it initially, but now I think it's spot on. To be honest I would say the same about several other features (idrive and triple turn indicators for instance).

It allows you to change gear without switching it off and it also allows you to increase or decrease the speed in 5 mph chunks with a hard press. It's much more flexible - it's just not where you expect it to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Agree with NFS... I think it is possible to drive much more smoothly with it because you aren't switching it off by changing gear (more relevant for manual I guess) and even the acceleration and deceleration seems less jerky under it ie if you set +5mph it gradually goes up rather than you holding a button and it going for it. I did wonder with the braking ability in the new one whether the break lights come on ?!!!? Guess they must but difficult to test alone ! It is odd to think of break lights coming on without you touching the break pedal!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #35
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Having had Cruise Control in a variety of my previous cars, the BMWs is the best by a considerable margin, it is the smoothest and easiest to operate. My wife's Disco 3 Cruise is, in comparison, jerky and fiddly to use.

Interestingly, my E60 530i used to display the cruise speed in MPH in the LED panel between the dials, my E91 didnt have this facility which was a backward step.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #36
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
I do love the +1/+5, -1/-5 mph increments though. This is a handy feature when coming from one speed limit road to another. Sitting at 80 on the Motorway, I pull it back fully twice and can feel the car brake itself down to 70 mph quickly. Very Handy
They do seem to change speed quite quickly when you adjust by increments of 5mph... even when accelerating!
      06-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #37
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Interestingly, my E60 530i used to display the cruise speed in MPH in the LED panel between the dials, my E91 didnt have this facility which was a backward step.
I believe that this feature is only available on the 6cyl engined cars.

My 330i does it as did my 530d.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #38
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
The 325d I drove earlier in the week certainly displayed the set speed. Quite a cool feature I thought.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #39
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I'm not a big fan of the E91 cruise control, though you get used to it.

When I first bought the car I was trying to flick it forwards to change speed, and after flicking it about 15 times and not seeing any change in speed, I had to look down - it was then I noticed I'd been flicking the indicator stalk.

The poor guy in front of me must've thought 'damn BMW driver flashing his full beams at me'.

And yes, I keep winding my rear windows down too!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #40
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice given guys. The order has been placed:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68600

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #41
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I did wonder with the braking ability in the new one whether the break lights come on ?!!!? Guess they must but difficult to test alone ! It is odd to think of break lights coming on without you touching the break pedal!
I have wondered about this too!! Will have to get the wife to follow me sometime... to put my mind at rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #42
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
I have wondered about this too!! Will have to get the wife to follow me sometime... to put my mind at rest.
They come on
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #43
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
They come on
Yes... they certainly do! I have just tried this myself. Cruising at 30mph and two sharp pushes back of the lever to set at 20mph, and I could see the brake lights come on in the reflection of a large glass shop window I happened to be driving past!