E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Interior LED install. Front Reading Lights/Courtesy Light??

03-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
MartianSun
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318i M Sport

Interior LED install. Front Reading Lights/Courtesy Light??

Hi people,

Anyone with a E90 that has fitted interior LED bulbs.

I'm having problems removing the reading lights in the front dome, fingers can't get a grip on bulbs to pull out. (fingers hurting now, been trying for half hr!) - is it possible to take out the whole dome unit, like the rear one?

& the courtesy door lights, probably going to sound stupid. but how do you remove the plastic cover to get to the bulb.. picture below;

Name:  Photo 06-03-2014 14 31 14.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  466.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

You don't, you rotate the housing and the bulb comes out!

Dome lights in the front are abit of a faff!

You need to get a trim removal tool at the back edge of the whole light and press it forwards to release the clips!

Or remove front light cover and pop out the black circular trim surrounds, abit fiddly!
      03-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Yeah I've been doing all that 'fiddly' business for half hr and my fingers are hurting now, the hole too small to get enough grip on the bulb to wiggle out.

rotate the housing how? confused?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianSun View Post
Yeah I've been doing all that 'fiddly' business for half hr and my fingers are hurting now, the hole too small to get enough grip on the bulb to wiggle out.

rotate the housing how? confused?
Easily confused aren't you ha!

The black bit that holds the bulb and has a wire on it, twist it!

Ta da, bulb is free!
      03-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
HorizonLEDs
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Hi, if you remove the sun visors both of them, you can get into the roof lining slightly and push on the clips and the whole dome light unit will come free...

As for the getting the bulbs out you will be able to then twist them off the circuit board like you did with the rear dome.

The festoon lights in your last pic simply unclip off thats not the type where you can twist out thats the festoon I assume for the footwells? be careful not to break any clips. I have done this personally myself on an E90, can be a pain I agree!

Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

I did this last night. The pictured one, just lift one side with a flat head gently on the side where there is the hole/clip, then the other side and it comes off easy.

As for the side map lights... What a ball ache they are. You have to ensure you are trying to pull straight down, even though the hole is on an angle. I got them out little by very little until they came out.

Then I faced the next issue... The circuit board led based light wouldn't go in... I pushed it gently, then it went 'ping' and one of the metal clips snapped now it,s seated, but no circuit

To scared to do the others...
      03-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
You don't, you rotate the housing and the bulb comes out!

Dome lights in the front are abit of a faff!

You need to get a trim removal tool at the back edge of the whole light and press it forwards to release the clips!

Or remove front light cover and pop out the black circular trim surrounds, abit fiddly!
Yep always confused because of you, not me! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonLEDs View Post
Hi, if you remove the sun visors both of them, you can get into the roof lining slightly and push on the clips and the whole dome light unit will come free...

As for the getting the bulbs out you will be able to then twist them off the circuit board like you did with the rear dome.

The festoon lights in your last pic simply unclip off thats not the type where you can twist out thats the festoon I assume for the footwells? be careful not to break any clips. I have done this personally myself on an E90, can be a pain I agree!

Hope you get it sorted.
Hmm take off sun visors, another job + plus I don't know how to do that. I'm going to battle in the next 10minutes with those map lights (I will not accept defeat, lol), and take it out bit by bit as Boondog mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
MartianSun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoondogUK View Post
I did this last night. The pictured one, just lift one side with a flat head gently on the side where there is the hole/clip, then the other side and it comes off easy.

As for the side map lights... What a ball ache they are. You have to ensure you are trying to pull straight down, even though the hole is on an angle. I got them out little by very little until they came out.

Then I faced the next issue... The circuit board led based light wouldn't go in... I pushed it gently, then it went 'ping' and one of the metal clips snapped now it,s seated, but no circuit

To scared to do the others...
Eventually I found out you had to push both side up using flat screwdriver; cheers.

& ahh unlucky about the 'ping' - don't be scared, go get the rest done.
Appreciate 0