E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > e92 325i - an owners experience

04-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Carrera S

e92 325i - an owners experience

Hi All,

I havent been on the forum for a while now, but I bought an e92 325i almost 2 years ago now and thought some people might like the feedback from an owner who has almost clocked 22,000kms so far.

The options I bought were:

1) iPod/USB connector - very handy I have my Video ipod connected.
2) Front/Rear PDC - so handy for me, I probably rely on it too much.
3) Mirror package (can retract side mirrors and they darken when someone with highbeam is behind you) - wouldnt get a car without this anymore.
4) Tinting. - very good - no tint scratching as I have heard with the e90.

So, onto the good things:

Driveability:

To begin with the car was amazing to drive, and really that hasnt changed. I have a great time driving it in metro and country South Australia.

From day one I have used BP 98 fuel and its always run smooth as silk.

iPhone:

I connected my iPhone via bluetooth in the dealership and since then its worked flawlessly. I never bothered with the iphone adapter as I wasn't really sure I needed it??

Overall, the car seems well engineered - I dont have any unusual noises when driving it over bumpy roads, everything just performs as you would expect it.

I'm not sure exactly what DS mode does - but I'm certain I get a bit more kick when I select this mode as the car is pretty powerful when I engage this - I can just hear the 335 owners laughing out loud!

The car still feels new and even smells new when I jump in - Its great to get in a nice car and head home after a stressful day at the office.

Some things that bug me:

Speeding Fine:

OK - my own fault but the car travels so well at high speed!

Storage:

There's a serious lack of storage for items in the glovebox, I dont really use the door pockets. I don't really have a place for my sunnies!

Oil Use:

Something I noticed is that I have had to take it to the dealer 3 times for 1L Oil "top ups". I have no idea if this is common, but Adelaide BMW just take the car and fill it up for free.

Steering Lock:

Around the 5000km mark - the steering lock became faulty and meant that I could not start the car, I had to keep trying to insert the FOB until it unlocked. Anyway, took it to Adelaide BMW and they replaced the whole steering assembly (or something like that I forget now) within a day.

Practicality:

Since I bought the car I have had a baby and we considered trading in the car. I was in Germany about a year ago and hired a 320d wagon and insisted that this was all I would get - but unfortunately we cannot get them here.

So, we got my wife a 4WD for carting around the pram etc and bought a second baby seat for the beemer - which fits just fine

I think the practicality of the vehicle is still getting to be a bit of a problem for me - as we have a baby now and I have recently taken up triathlons I need more boot space and room to fit bikes - but this is not enough of a reason to change right now as we have the other car

I have yet to have a service yet - and I fully expect it to be expensive, but overall my experience has been really good as a first time BMW owner I am heavily leaning towards another model when my corporate lease expires mid next year.

Overall, I am a very happy owner - at this stage I don't know what car I would go to when I hand back to the keys to this car - I'm still having a ball driving it

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by matts325i; 04-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: added mroe stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

This is my first bmw as well after 8years of owning IS200and IS300 and last IS250 been very good years and their friendship from dealers and service is top notch but i wanted something different and more powerful.
Enter motorline bmw at springwood and bought a 335 M-SPORT COUPE in December 2008.
Love the car to bits the sound,the ride,and of course enormous power
Thou sat nav and audio is not as good as lexus mark levinson goes which i had, but the funny thing i have the stereo turned done now and listen to that gorgeous 335 straight six exhaust sound

BMW knows how to charge for things like a wheel alignment $180.00
No troubles yet
US seems to have a lot of fuel pump failures due to ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

Matt Not to cause alarm, But get BMW to look into your oil consumption, Ive spoken to a few Techs in the states and this isn't uncommon and BMW are replacing my Engine under warranty because of it, Noticed any blue smoke start ups ? Check my Post for details.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Great to see that you still love your car. I echo all of your sentiments, and I would have to say that the car just keeps getting better and better. After nearly 90,000km and 4 years of ownership, I still love it and still get a quiet thrill when I hurl around a corner and it tracks perfectly.

Ditto about the iPhone - it just works. I have the connector to charge it, and because the connector connects you to the car's antenna which is useful for me because I drive in the country every second weekend, so coverage is a big plus for me. I have to say that I am yet to meet a compatible Windows Mobile phone yet with the car... I had tried every WM phone Telstra had before the iPhone was released and several of them nearly ended up being thrown out the window when I was driving.

I still love the great sounds of that inline six, especially when it is in its upper reaches, I love the feel of the steering wheel in my hand, and I love how effortlessly it covers great distances without fatigue.

The brakes and inherent stability of the chassis has saved my life many times on the Coorong when I have come across roos, cows, deer in stag and the other night sheep. Tremendous brakes and stability under high speed directional changes have allowed me to avoid these things with no sweat... well almost, I did hit one roo that jumped from behind a bush, but sometimes even the best car just can not save you

The times that really made me smile when driving?

When I drove Gorge Road for the first time in it

Gunning it in the Northern Territory before they introduced the wowser speed restrictions

My first road trip in the car

Best things I have done to my car - get the iPod interface and ditch the run flats - oh and get the manual transmission

BP 98 is the only fuel for the car, I completely agree.

Only complaints?? Baby seat can be a bit squeezy in the back, and the first pram didn't fit into the boot - DOH!

Speaking about family mobiles, Matt, have you thought about a 330d Touring??
      04-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
ecnirp
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Wow, I think you just wrote BMW's next 3 series ad !
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
Speaking about family mobiles, Matt, have you thought about a 330d Touring??
Jamie, I didnt know it was available? I drove the 320d in Munich last May when I was there on business and loved it. If there is such a car when I would actually consider swapping over my car right now. I really enjoyed the immediate torque of the diesel - but would probably miss the high end rev's of my current engine
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
Wow, I think you just wrote BMW's next 3 series ad !
Yeah sorry about that, I tried to be objective but it did turn out to be a bit of a BMW-fanboy post.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #8
matts325i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark325 View Post
Matt Not to cause alarm, But get BMW to look into your oil consumption, Ive spoken to a few Techs in the states and this isn't uncommon and BMW are replacing my Engine under warranty because of it, Noticed any blue smoke start ups ? Check my Post for details.

Hi Mark,

I havent noticed any smoke on startup - mind you I havent really looked. I will keep a close eye out for this. If I need to follow this up with the dealer I may contact you to ask you how you went about it in order to get the engine swap.

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
ecnirp
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts325i View Post
Yeah sorry about that, I tried to be objective but it did turn out to be a bit of a BMW-fanboy post.
Sorry, I was actually referring to JamieA's post (I should have quoted it). I haven't heard anything to suggest that the 330d will come here in touring form when it arrives in a couple of months, as is the case with the existing 320d.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
MrBBQwer
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E93 325i, is350 F

I love my 325i E93 as well, the car is perfect even 1.5years now.
BUT I do have one regret, I rarely open the roof, in 1 year may be only 10times.
I should get e92 335i before
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
dtlv8
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i and G6E Turbo

Good info Matt. Thanks for sharing. My e90 325i was a serious oil drinker too, no blue smoke though... needed to top up 1litre for every 8000kms! But was told by a bimmer service advisor that it was within the normal oil usage range for the engine.

Around 50-60k kms range, the steering lock mechanism problem surfaced and replaced, as well as brake pads, sensors and rotors all replaced and also all front suspension bushes replaced.

I completely agree with JamieA, the best thing I did was ditching the run flats and replaced them with normal shoes! The ride and handling improved significantly.

I've a little toddler and growing fast! The back seats were getting very squeezy. I thought about the current 5 series but with a new model around the corner I decided to hold off and I bought a demo Ford G6E Turbo to run around for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #12
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

1litre for every 8000kms ? Thats pretty good.

Mine was drinking almost a litre every 1000kms...

It needs to be over 750ml before BMW will replace the engine :P

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnirp View Post
Sorry, I was actually referring to JamieA's post (I should have quoted it). I haven't heard anything to suggest that the 330d will come here in touring form when it arrives in a couple of months, as is the case with the existing 320d.
Yes, I seem to be a fanboy and I admit it

There you go, that is the first step to recovery and buying a proper car like a Mercedes Benz (just kidding)...

As for the 330d I must admit that was a bit of interpolation on my behalf. I thought that a 330d Touring would be a no-brainer for Oz.... but anyhoo, I did bother to check the current Touring lineup, and according to the BMW Oz website there is no 320d Touring offered either! Only the 320i Exec, 323i and 335i... go figure...
      06-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
S0787671
Rep
Drives: E92 325i m sport 2007

Dear Friends,

I bought this Bmw 325i 2.5l m sport with N52K engine in it is in very good condition in and out. I have been driving it for a year now and I feel I am missing power and it feels heavy. Sounds nice when you accelerate, but from stop state to pick up it takes a lot.

I usually change the first two gears at 2500 to 3000rpm. Which then gets rid of the tiny jerk which is felt on lower gees change.

This car has had the CDV MODE done as well. It's a sep 2007 manufacture model.

Could some one suggest, what I can do to get better power out of the car, cause I believe it can do more, but I am not sure if it am changing gears a t the rite rpm.

Suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335iA

Holy thread revival Batman!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
pulsk001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

hi matt,

2 years and 22k kms and havent done a service?

Thats rather odd, unless I misunderstood?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #17
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

oh lol
Appreciate 0