E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BAN Priuses on HWY

05-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #89
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Jest get in front of them. Slow to make them move. Then continue!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #90
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I'll take whatever is available when passing. We have highways and cars that can handle much higher speeds than we are allowed, but I fear that speed limits are 'dumbed down' for the least skilled among us. I would like to see the Autobahn model enforced here: no limit in the left lane, and slower traffic is to move over and yield.
Honestly, do you guys seriously think we can handle having a Autobahn in the US? I heard in Germany it takes longer to get your license. Realistically, do you think Americans can handle that?
Yes. It's much safer. Just have to Learn new norms
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #91
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

love that nissan commercial

oem blacklines, m3 rep front. waiting for install oem m3 sides... coming soon. csl trunk mtech rear and more.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #92
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
It doesn't even have to be autobahn style unrestricted left lane travel, though. Two lane highways move much more smoothly. There are seriously diminishing returns to adding a lot of lanes.
      05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #93
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
This is true, you need to stay around the speed everyone else is going. If you are driving a lot slower than everyone else you can get pulled over for driving too slow. 65 isnt bad normally but if you are under that on a freeway out here in Socal i have seen CHP pull people over for disrupting traffic by going too slow.
That's HYPER bullshit, and WILDLY incorrect from a legal standpoint. For one, driving at or just below 65mph (well, the speed limit, which in CA could be 65 or 70) is required to be in compliance with the law, period - there's no jurisdiction on this continent where you can break the speed limit "if everyone else is doing it," and they even question you as much on the two driving tests I've taken (Maine, CA).

As far as how SLOW you CAN go without getting ticketed - the minimum speed law in CA makes no specific definition, leaving it up to the officer and thus the court. But for guidelines, the trailer limit on most 65-posted highways in CA is 55, in which case it'd be totally impossible to make the argument that 55 is illegally slow, as there are other vehicles on the road which can't (theoretically) exceed this speed. And generally speaking, a good rule of thumb is that an officer will start to think about pulling you over for 10mph under the lowest posted speed limit, in this case typically 45mph (though there are certainly roads in socal, though not freeways that I know of, where the limit for cars is 65 and the limit for trailers over x weight is 45).

There are also plenty of places where minimum speeds are posted, I know in Maine and Mass there are places where highways are posted minimum 45.

Now, in practice, nobody (in socal anyway) is going to appreciate you doing 65. But then the people who will get really pissed off are the ones trying to pass on the right at 85 in the merging lane, so fuckem.

EDIT: Now, by that logic, you could also go 65 in the far left lane too, legally. Which theoretically is the case. But if there are people going faster to the right of you, most jurisdictions will say you need to move over. That they're breaking the speed limit is their problem. Just like if you're doing 80 in the far left with a clear lane to your right, you should still move over.
In Houston, 60 is the common speed limit on the highways, and I'm going 65 in the right lane and still getting honked at. So am I in the right or wrong for following the law? I don't get how following the flow of traffic makes sense if we have laws telling you the limits of your driving activity
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #94
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

^^ Isn't this logic contradictory of the laws set in place to punish speeding drivers? I'm curious
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #95
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy View Post
Honestly, do you guys seriously think we can handle having a Autobahn in the US? I heard in Germany it takes longer to get your license. Realistically, do you think Americans can handle that?
Yes with he following conditions:
1. Roads built and maintained for this speed
2. Strict rules for driver behavior (like in Germany)
3. Most important: comprehensive driving test w/min of 40 hrs of instructed driving and 100 question written test
5. Leave EGO at home

To give you an idea of one of the activities that my driving instructor asked me to perform in Europe is to drive backwards up the hill and parallel park on the actual road between the two vehicles without using the hand brake.

The first 10-20 hrs of driving training, out of 40, is with the instructor on the course to learn how to look at mirrors and give turn signals at the right time. If you pass this test then you can proceed to drive on the road with the instructor. When it's time to take the driving test you have an instructor and two evaluators with you in the car. It is very easy to fail. You have to be almost perfect to pass. You would not believe what they look for, i.e. location of where you stop at each intersection based on if you are making a turn or not in relation to the traffic signal etc. My instructor told me after I passed the test that I will not know how to drive until I drive 100K mi.

check out Texas 85 mi/hr test road:
http://jalopnik.com/5941587/why-texa...snt-a-big-deal
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #96
calicolorado
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp 6-spd

Garage List
2015 BMW M5   [0.00]
1972 BMW 200/  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
We had a Prius for four years, and I sold it to my brother to buy my 328. I couldn't be further from the stereotypical Prius owner and I always find this stuff hilarious. It was a great car from a functionality standpoint, but the ergonomics (of the '04-09 model) were designed with the JDM in mind. I'm 6'5" 280 so it eventually became an uncomfortable slog, not to mention that the car is soulless to drive and nearly dangerous feeling on highway overpasses as 65-75mph.

Nice things? The steering wheel had every convenience feature on it, you could fit a 9'5" surfboard inside and of course the fuel mileage. It makes sense when you drive 30-35K a year in SoCal and your wife works for Toyota. I also got to keep miles off of my fun cars...
2011 Highlander 4WD
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #97
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Yes with he following conditions:
1. Roads built and maintained for this speed
2. Strict rules for driver behavior (like in Germany)
3. Most important: comprehensive driving test w/min of 40 hrs of instructed driving and 100 question written test
5. Leave EGO at home

To give you an idea of one of the activities that my driving instructor asked me to perform in Europe is to drive backwards up the hill and parallel park on the actual road between the two vehicles without using the hand brake.

The first 10-20 hrs of driving training, out of 40, is with the instructor on the course to learn how to look at mirrors and give turn signals at the right time. If you pass this test then you can proceed to drive on the road with the instructor. When it's time to take the driving test you have an instructor and two evaluators with you in the car. It is very easy to fail. You have to be almost perfect to pass. You would not believe what they look for, i.e. location of where you stop at each intersection based on if you are making a turn or not in relation to the traffic signal etc. My instructor told me after I passed the test that I will not know how to drive until I drive 100K mi.

check out Texas 85 mi/hr test road:
http://jalopnik.com/5941587/why-texa...snt-a-big-deal
But would American auto manufacturers have to change the way the cars are built, due to this? Or would the cars as they are, be okay for cruising at dangerous speeds?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #98
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

They seriously need to put up more signs that say "Slower traffic keep right."

Sometimes even with those signs people will ignore it... wish more cops would cite slow drivers as they do speeders.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #99
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post

Sometimes even with those signs people will ignore it... wish more cops would cite slow drivers as they do speeders.
DEFINITELY agree with this. Highways where people actually observe 'left only to pass' move SO much smoother.
      07-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #100
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:
This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[3]
It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a traveling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:
A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane...[4]
Other examples, such as Massachusetts (General Statute 89-4B),[citation needed] New Jersey, Maine, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and others, make it illegal to fail to yield to traffic that seeks to overtake in the left lane,[citation needed] or to create any other "obstruction" in the passing lane that hinders the flow of traffic. As a result, heavy trucks are often prohibited from using the passing lane.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #101
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I'll take whatever is available when passing. We have highways and cars that can handle much higher speeds than we are allowed, but I fear that speed limits are 'dumbed down' for the least skilled among us. I would like to see the Autobahn model enforced here: no limit in the left lane, and slower traffic is to move over and yield.
No- make people pay for their damn licenses just like over in Europe- That should cut down on the douchebaggery.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #102
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #103
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

It's so simple, if you're not passing cars move right! After driving in europe for 2 weeks on vacation, it amazing how much less stress there is in NOT having to pass people on the right.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #104
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
Prius? How about just FUCK TOYOTA... Crude, but I hate these damn cars. No soul in their design, with even less passionate drivers. Nothing makes my day like a Camry or Prius in the left doing 45-50mph...
      07-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #105
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3 View Post
Does PA have a law that says keep right unless actively passing?
Yes as do most civilized places... but they're never enforced in the US. Unfortunately. I don't know why, here in NoVA a cop could do nothing but write tickets all day. Balanced budget? Si, se puede!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #106
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitClassy View Post
No, not a chance. But I'm also in favor of importing some German traffic cops with angry pens.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #107
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post

It's a total anarchy on roads, but I see police not following the rules all the time, i.e driving in left lane without lights on and blocking the traffic like every other inconsiderate driver. According to law you can give them ticket as they are public servants but who wants to deal with that. If they are not setting an example how can we expect peasants to obey the laws or expect public servants to enforce them.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #108
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post

That's true, I went through similar driver education in Europe. Much more strict. Applying these rules in US would mean less than half current drivers could actually get licensed.

And to imagine that there are still people who fail license exam as it currently is administered here... How bad must they be???
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #109
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

If you've ever driven on the Autobahn, you would know that everyone drives at relatively the same speed. No one drives crazy fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #110
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The Prius is pretty high on my list of cars driven by idiots - it isn't the car itself but the people that drive them, if it wasn't for the prius, they would drive other cars. They other cars on my list lately driven by prius like drivers are gold colored toyota camry's and lately almost all subaru's (not WRX's) seem to be slow boating in the fast lane or generally just driven by people not paying attention or lost and then of course any grand marquis or town car.
Appreciate 0