E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Giac stage 2

08-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

Giac stage 2

Is anyone running this Flash tune?

I'm currently running stage 1 with just an intake and it's very smooth across the powerband.

Now I've gone and searched and there are reviews and such but they are all old.

I know a lot of people like JB and Cobb but I really like GIAC.

The stage 2 peaks around 16psi. Very safe for these tiny stock turbos.

Only downside is that giac doesn't have option to clear my Codes once dps get detected. Assuming I can just use a BavTech tool and clear codes then when inspection comes throw on dp fix until readiness

I'm big in the simplicity of just Flashing my DME and calling it a day.

Sooooo.........

Anyone running stage 2? Impressions, thoughts?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sounds like you want cobb to be honest. Thats the simplicity of flashing it your self, setting, and forgetting. GIAC you still need to go somewhere to be flashed or send in your ECU. Numbers vs price point and no adjustability were their downfall. They make great products but this isn't their best platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I have stage 2, love the seamless power, it is just like the stock power curve just higher, I have dps IC intake. It is nice to just get it loaded and never think about it again.

I originally did catted ar dps but they only worked for a few months and threw codes anyway, so a waste of money. I run a dpfix for emissions and bms cantool to autoclear codes when the dpfix is not in.

Cobb wasn't around when I did giac, giac is great stuff, but would consider Cobb especially if it can flash out the cat codes and you can uninstall and sell if you get rid of the car, but since you have stage 1 you are invested and only 200 from stage 2.

So to answer your question, love the stage 2, just stage 1 only better!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
OPe92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6AT SGM

I run Giac software. It's amazing, very smooth, power is linear. You already paid for stage 1 why not spend $200 for stage 2. If you're really looking to push the stock turbos Giac has a race file for another $200. The race tune requires 100octane, or you can run meth.
      08-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

GIAC is kinda of joke in the tuning world they offer many “tunes” to many platforms that they don’t spend the time to really develop a proper tune, just a basic run of the mill program that they spend 2-3 weeks developing and then never update, so they treat their “tune” like cash cows…put a few grand up front and reap the profits for years and years without doing further development work or updates…

Then when it comes time to Dyno challenge different tunes, they load their “in house tune” that’s not available to the public…this was a big problem in the VW/Audi scene, thier shop car would get great numbers, but if you tried to replicate the setup exactly you would never be able to put down the same numbers as them….everyone in the Audi/VW world pretty much wrote them off as a tuner…

You should stick to people who specialize in the N54 platform or BMW in general.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
GIAC is kinda of joke in the tuning world they offer many “tunes” to many platforms that they don’t spend the time to really develop a proper tune, just a basic run of the mill program that they spend 2-3 weeks developing and then never update, so they treat their “tune” like cash cows…put a few grand up front and reap the profits for years and years without doing further development work or updates…

Then when it comes time to Dyno challenge different tunes, they load their “in house tune” that’s not available to the public…this was a big problem in the VW/Audi scene, thier shop car would get great numbers, but if you tried to replicate the setup exactly you would never be able to put down the same numbers as them….everyone in the Audi/VW world pretty much wrote them off as a tuner…

You should stick to people who specialize in the N54 platform or BMW in general.
I agree in the fact that I haven't seen any updates from their original tune they made, but if they found a good mix then why mess with something that's not broken

I don't want to make this convo a battle of the tuners.

Just curious who is running this still and how much they like or dislike it.

For $250 cost I'll prob go with GIAC anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post

Nothing could be further from the truth for 1.8T and 2.0L FSI/TSIs (which are the bread and butter). Countless revisions, tunes for different turbos, race/aggressive tunes have been developed and they have never just sat idle. I'll agree their initial revisions usually suck in one way or another (not always power. for example over boost with 3" DPs on v1 2.0L FSI or lack downright lack of power for Golf R on v1 compared to APR) but once the competitors offer competition they don't just move on they do and have offered many revisions and improved tunes over the years.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth for 1.8T and 2.0L FSI/TSIs (which are the bread and butter). Countless revisions, tunes for different turbos, race/aggressive tunes have been developed and they have never just sat idle. I'll agree their initial revisions usually suck in one way or another (not always power. for example over boost with 3" DPs on v1 2.0L FSI or lack downright lack of power for Golf R on v1 compared to APR) but once the competitors offer competition they don't just move on they do and have offered many revisions and improved tunes over the years.
ok they might come out with updates for a 1 or 2 platform but only because APR is leading the way and GIAC playing catch up…my original assessments stands, most platforms don’t get updates or multiple map support.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbil79 View Post
I agree in the fact that I haven't seen any updates from their original tune they made, but if they found a good mix then why mess with something that's not broken

if the cost is only $250 then it’s a good deal.
doesn't sound like you want to push your platform anyway, so in your case it wouldn’t make sense to spend $1200 on piggyback / flash cables / meth kit (or LPFP to run E85)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbil79 View Post

if the cost is only $250 then it’s a good deal.
doesn't sound like you want to push your platform anyway, so in your case it wouldn’t make sense to spend $1200 on piggyback / flash cables / meth kit (or LPFP to run E85)
Yes

I don't want to push turbos too much.

I'm typical modder where if it can be done (reasonable priced) I'll do it. Can't beat $1500 total with mods to go stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It would be nice if giac made a file for RB turbos as well
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

GIAC had a good start with this platform. They had a solid tune.
But unfortunately that stopped updating it and adding features to their tune.
If its only 200$ i say go for it and get their stage 2.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
GIAC had a good start with this platform. They had a solid tune.
But unfortunately that stopped updating it and adding features to their tune.
If its only 200$ i say go for it and get their stage 2.
Thanks. Actually $285 but still inexpensive considering.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post

Like previously stated, that is not entirely accurate. Andrew is a pretty darn good tuner. Now, is their stuff starting to get diluted because they are trying to hit LITERALLY every VAG car, perhaps. But GIAC had spent countless months developing the N54 tune and it works like butter. I tried Cobb and a pro-tune and neither were up to the level of GIAC. Granted I have a one off map from them (similar to Fred's car at Evolution Racewerks), but it is the nicest tune and I do not have to worry about anything but driving hard on the track.

I HIGHLY recommend their software to any N54 platform user.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0