E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > One week with the OE Tune on my 325i

12-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
robbiec
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

One week with the OE Tune on my 325i

Got the "tune to end all tunes" installed last Sunday at Bren Tuning in Worcester. Bren is a great guy, very knowledgeable about tuning, particularly BMW's. He is the OE tuning rep in the Northeast. The process was quick and painless. Bren downloaded my stock files from the ECU, emailed them to Jeremy on the west coast, then uploaded the modified files onto the ECU. Probably took an hour once we got started. OK, on to the good stuff...

What a difference!!! My car is a stock 2006 325i, three pedals, sport package, with 61k miles. Only mod is carbon filter delete. Noticeable difference right away in first gear. The car has so much more pull from 1k RPM, and there is a big kick now as the tach sweeps past 3k. I find myself short-shifting at 3k now, just because the car really wants to take off in first. Second gear is where I notice the biggest difference, probably because that's where I do most of my driving. Turn onto a side street at 1k in second, roll into the throttle and the car pulls hard. Second gear was always my biggest complaint in stock form. Not anymore. Plenty of torque down low and once the car comes up on the cams at 3.5-4k, it really starts to scream. Again, I'm short shifting more as I just don't need the power driving around town.

I've had a couple of nice launches, running hard through 1st and 2nd, shifting at 6,500. Car still starts to run out of breath above that, but no complaints since the power is so smooth up to that point. Right now I don't even see the need for the 3-stage manifold. Driveability is just so good and I can live without the extra top end. Another nice feature about the tune is that at 10-20% throttle, the car feels stock, so you can really control the power. Jeremy did a nice job with the throttle modulation. I drive for max fuel economy 97% of the time, so I'm really glad I haven't lost any part throttle driveability. But once I crack the throttle past 20%, the car starts to pull. Full throttle in first and second, well, you'd better hang on!

I'll post again in a few weeks regarding my MPG. I started a new job recently, so my commute is totally different. Less highway, so my MPG is already down a bit. Once I log a few more miles, I'll post my observations.

Please don't waste your time asking about dynos. I wasn't able to attend the dyno tune day on Saturday, so you'll just have to trust my seat of the pants observations. Anyone in the Boston area is free to take my car for a spin though. I highly recommend this tune and I highly recommend Bren Tuning in Worcester. And no, I don't work for Bren/OE!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Hey can you PM me the price?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
sexymexy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 jet black

Me too!! Pm price!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
United_States
Rep
Drives: OEM+ 330i

This sounds awesome. I wish I knew of a tuner in the KC area that could supply me with this..
      12-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Nothing like that for the Tri-State area huh? Just curious, I'm more than happy with my AA tune.
Appreciate 0