E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Another What car thread. Opinions please.

01-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Another What car thread. Opinions please.

Afternoon chaps.

We found out a couple of months ago that there will be a new member joining our family in August (God willing) - which means we'll need to upgrade one of our hatchbacks to a bigger car. She has a 5 door, 5 year old Mazda 3 - which she really likes and I've got my GTi (3 series 10 months before it), which is only 3 door.

We've been able to manage quite comfortably with our 3 years old with what we've got - but we'll definitely be squeezed with the new addition, especially when travelling as a family. We go our at least once a week with the little one.

I've been racking through reviews and classifieds to see what would be suitable - but can't make my mind up. As it will be her car that will go to make room - it will need to satisfy her more than me, but I will still use it occasionally.

My choice would be a RR Sport or a Audi Q5. However, she refuses to drive anything of that size - and thinks people that do, are daft. This then leaves me with a small SUV or a Estate car.

Our (or should i say 'my') budget won't be huge, unless it's on a PCP - I reckon around £9k + circa £3k for her car. So around £12k. My wife's the type of woman that doesn't really care what she drives, so as long as it does everything she wants, is solid and reliable.

So, here's what I've considered, thus far.

Audi Q5 on a PCP. I think i could get away with a Q5 - as it's not too big - but looking at the PCP deals available and what my brother has found for me - they're awfully over priced - once you add a few worthwhile options.

Audi A4 Estate. I can pick a 4 year example up for less than £12k now. Solid, reliable good looking and the 2.0TDI is very economical.

Nissan Juke - I think they look great and funky and they can be had at a year old for around £8k now. However, I've not seen one up close in person - anyone know what they're like for practicality?

Vauxhall Insignia. I think they look decent and offer allot for the bang....but it's a Vauxhall (this still might be the dark horse)

Volvo V50. I've never driven or owned a Volvo in my life - but reading reviews, they seem quite a safe bet. Cheap to run and maintain and they look pretty nice. But it's a Volvo!

BMW E91. Saw a 100k mile E91 LCI 320d (177bhp) up for sale for around £7,500 a few weeks ago. I think it would be ideal. Still looks great and will do everything I need...but and it's a big but - My last 2 E90's (2005 models) started giving me some gip after they reached 100k miles. They weren't just small issues - we're talking clutches, massive oil leaks etc. They were 3.0 Litre diesels though. How reliable are the 2.0d engines in the LCI models?

High mileage doesn't really worry me. So as long as the car has a full service history and all major services have been carried out accordingly. The wife only does around 6k miles a year.

Thanks for reading - your opinions please.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796769
      01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

An E91 isn't a family car
A pushchair will fill the boot, with little room for anything else.

Don't knock the Insignia/Mundane-o - they are capable cars, but they are even more expensively unreliable than an E9x at higher mileages.

Skoda Rapide with the 1.4 turbo - economical round town and short runs. 160bhp for the weekend!
Leon FR, same comments.

If you like your Audi's, how about an A5 Sportback - much more room than an E91, and classier cabin.
Big diesel will feel sluggish after your 330d
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Firstly congratulations!!

And what about an older A6 diesel?

Rav4

Cashcow

Hyundai i thingy estate must be dirt cheap to run

Personally for a family estate car i would also get either a C-Class 250 estate, or a 330d tourer. Unless you really need a MASSIVE boot. In that case dont most people by a s-max or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Why would you buy a modern diesel doing 6000 miles per year, and presumably a lot of short journeys? They mostly have DPFs now and they do not like short runs. My money would be on a petrol model, if its an estate required you could do a lot worse than a Ford Mondeo....such as...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Congrats BTW
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

Congratulations.

I nearly bought a V50 R-design before I got the E90. I think they look great but don't be fooled into thinking there's a lot of room in them, there's not. As suggested an older A6 would suit space wise, I had one (c6) and the boot was cavernous, the interior fit and finish is pretty much bomb/child proof too! The Insignia was company car choice number 1 at a place I used to work, I didn't have one (low level me) but they all moaned how it wasn't comfy and didn't make anywhere near the stated mpg. I've had 2 Mondeos as well, they are good cars and the space is really good but the fit and finish lets them down badly IMO, it all looks ok at first glance but one you scratch the surface so to speak, the cracks start to appear.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Congrats I have to say wife drives the B-class. Had a 2009 model until last week and now in the current new shape. Both have proven more than capable for getting us the 4 year old and 1 year old and all the stuff/ prams / travel cots for a weekend away.

Plus the slightly higher position makes loading and unloading kids much easier.
      01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
megane 250 cup

We get two stage 3/4 car seats in the back, have had stage 1/2 and 3/4 isofix fixings for ease of installation, large boot handles like a roller skate, takes all the crap you think you need but don't, fast enough for weekend fun when you're too tired for weekend fun.

In fact why change cars there's f'***all wrong with what you've got.

We used to get two kids in a fiesta pop plus + associated crap.

Then again we used to live in 'ole int road, walk 500 miles to work 100 hour shift, pay t'mill owner for privilege to feed four bairns..........................
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

You were lucky etc etc
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Oh and OP, you just want a new car
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

The juke is tiny. Most 4x4s in the Rav4 type range also have absolutely tiny boots. We have a 2 year old and a 6 month old so have similar needs. Current cars in the household are f20 1 series and grand vitara. The vitara suffers the small boot and the 1 series suffers a cramped rear seat. However, we manage just fine so imagine you would also be fine with what you have. People that think they require a huge urban assault vehicle to accommodate children/a child are one of my pet hates.

A car that nobody suspects would be huge and is an ideal family run around is the last shape Honda Civic. The new one will be well outside your budget even on PCP. Rear seat space is massive, as is the boot and the rear doors open to a full 90 degrees which is ideal for putting baby seats in. The 1.8 petrol is pretty economical and it's practically guaranteed to never break. Don't be fooled into thinking its no bigger than your Mazda. I'd bet they are also bigger than an e91 inside.
      01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Have you considered a mazda 6

If your going the Audi route - A6 avant isn't bad at all! We have one here - and it swallows a lot of stuff.
      01-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

First things first. Congratz.

Now onto serious business...

Quote:
Audi A4 Estate. I can pick a 4 year example up for less than £12k now. Solid, reliable good looking and the 2.0TDI is very economical.
Solid, reliable and good looking they are. Economical they are not. I had a 2009 143 BHP that only averaged 40 mpg. Then swapped it for a 2012 177 BHP that only averaged 37. Neither figure is even remotely respectable for a 2.0 TDI.

Quote:
Vauxhall Insignia. I think they look decent and offer allot for the bang....but it's a Vauxhall (this still might be the dark horse)
This will depreciate faster than the speed of light. Vauxhalls always do. You get cracking deals when you go past a VX showroom. 6 month old insignia with 10k off. Well, there you go, its lost 10k in 6 months.

Quote:
Volvo V50. I've never driven or owned a Volvo in my life - but reading reviews, they seem quite a safe bet. Cheap to run and maintain and they look pretty nice. But it's a Volvo!
I actually quite like Volvos, and did look at them. They aren't as good on the depreciation as BMW, Merc or Audi though. You will notice this if you look at PCP. 3 series, C-class and A4's are cheaper per month than Passats, Mondeos, Volvos etc... Its all about depreciation with your PCP.

That said, I would seriously look at the XC60. Lovely motor, and not as big as the likes of RR's, Q7's etc.. (Thats what the XC90 is for).

Quote:
BMW E91. Saw a 100k mile E91 LCI 320d (177bhp) up for sale for around £7,500 a few weeks ago. I think it would be ideal. Still looks great and will do everything I need...but and it's a big but - My last 2 E90's (2005 models) started giving me some gip after they reached 100k miles. They weren't just small issues - we're talking clutches, massive oil leaks etc. They were 3.0 Litre diesels though. How reliable are the 2.0d engines in the LCI models?
I now have a E91 335d. It is barely big enough for us with one kid. No way will it be comfortable enough with 2. Don't go this route. A 5 series may well cut it though.

Went to look at X5's the other day, and even they dont have massive boots.

So, you could spend serious coin and get something really nice. But you said its mainly for the wife, and she doesn't really care.

I would get a Kia Sportage. Its a nice looking machine, Kia have come a long way recently, and its got a 7 year / 100k warranty. Load it up with a few choice toys and you'll be laughing. Heck, its only replacing a Mazda anyway.

Of course, I have been looking at X5's myself, and when I get back from this trip, I will be checking out Range Rovers. But then my wife know I have a small dick, so need a big car to compensate. Kudos to you for being the other way round.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
How about:

New Honda CRV

or cheaper

Qashqai

Skoda Yeti (bonkers contract hire price)

Mini Countryman

If it were me I'd go down the Yeti route at that price.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

skoda yeti .... everyone raves about that car - even the guys at Evo!
      01-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #16
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Get the Yeti.
      01-29-2013, 04:41 AM   #17
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

my sister had the juke turbo, tiny in the back and small boot but funky car

mondeo is a good shout, my wife really liked the titanium x sport we tested (pre-facelift) although wont be too good on juice as its a big motor

would your wife drive a skoda? i had ran an octavia vrs hatch dsg, lovely car, big inside and huge boot for prams etc, sometimes wish i hadnt parted with it!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Congrats I have to say wife drives the B-class. Had a 2009 model until last week and now in the current new shape. Both have proven more than capable for getting us the 4 year old and 1 year old and all the stuff/ prams / travel cots for a weekend away.

Plus the slightly higher position makes loading and unloading kids much easier.

Thanks for all the comments and advice all.

Magic, the B-class is a great shout - and it was in my mind, however, there's one thing putting me off from Mercs at the moment. My old manc E-class. It's been the most unreliable car we have ever owned. It was bought new in 2004 - and since, the suspension has been replaced on 3 ocassions, the turbo twice, the electrics have constant problems and steering problems.

But I suppose there's good and bad in all cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Oh and OP, you just want a new car

You know what women are like, once they want something. I'm doing my research now and will act once the moaning/whining/nagging starts.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
How about:

New Honda CRV

or cheaper

Qashqai

Mini Countryman

The Yeti! Now there's one I missed out on. I'll keep an eye on them in the coming months.

Guys, is the 3 seties estate really that small? The 5 series tourer looks a bit dated now I think. No offence to anyone here. The LCI 3 series, especially the estate, still looks pretty fresh IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #21
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

what about an x3?

quick google

http://www.elmsdirect.com/offers-2/b...FYXLtAodwisAlQ
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #22
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
How about:

New Honda CRV

or cheaper

Qashqai

Mini Countryman

The Yeti! Now there's one I missed out on. I'll keep an eye on them in the coming months.

Guys, is the 3 seties estate really that small? The 5 series tourer looks a bit dated now I think. No offence to anyone here. The LCI 3 series, especially the estate, still looks pretty fresh IMO.
Appreciate 0