E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Trapster on I-Drive nav display

10-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Moonbat
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Trapster on I-Drive nav display

Just a cute idea. As a software developer I've often had to write programs to scrape info off web sites (it's pretty easy), or fill in web forms. Seems like it would be simple to run Google Latitude on a cell phone in your BMW, and have a home PC monitor that position, then use that retrieved GPS position for your car and direction to then check the Trapster web site for any "Live Police" alerts sites you're approaching every half minute or so. If you're on a highway and there's a Trapster critical alert five minutes down the road, send that destination of the speed trap to your MyInfo account. One wouldn't want to bog down the MyInfo network, and I'm not sure what limits there are on number of transfers allowed per month, but I wouldn't think BMW would mind a few such transfers a day. Any other geeky types already try something like this?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Doug,

Not bad idea, problem I see is that it isnt totally automated or is it?
Would there have to be someone at the PC to send the location to myinfo?

The myinfo addresses are also buried away in the Idrive menus, a real PITA!

I've tried Trapster on my blackberry, wasn't bad but didnt have the directional facility on motorways,

I've tried the speedcams on the Idrive Nav but that doesnt have voice alerts....

Ended up getting a Pogo alert of Ebay for £90 brand new, not a bad piece of kit
Appreciate 0