Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 162's + winter tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
162's + winter tires?

is anyone doing this? yes yes, i know smaller wheels = better in snow, but i live in Cincinnati and seriously, winters here are so hit and miss.

overall i'm having a hard time convincing myself about this winter tire thing. if i lived a few hours south it wouldn't even be an issue, however i think i live in a kind of grey area. obviously if i lived in cleveland i'd do it, but cincinnati?

anyway, i've seen the m5 replica's and they are ok, but i got a 330i sport for a reason and part of it was b/c i love the wheels on this car. so what if i bought a 2nd set of 162's and put winter tires on those? i think the car really lacks something with other wheels.

i don't think prying the tires off the current wheels makes much sense, or does it? is that even possible, or would the tires be damaged on removal?

any comments, feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

-dan (somewhere in the middle of the snowbelt and summer tire land)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
ravinxd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 with M-sport pkg

Only trouble with another set of 162s for winter is that there are no run-flats in the needed 18" size. You'll spend over $2k for the set-up and have to risk living without RFTs. 225/45R17 RFT Dunlop Winter M3s all around on ASA JH3 rims from tirerack may be the value ~$1200.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
what is the reality of having my summer tires taken off and winter tires put on the existing 162's? would this damage the summer tires? i know they aren't rft's, but i just can't seem to find wheels i like that much for winter. i'm kinda picky, and for all i know it could snow 1 or 2 days this winter and i'm wonder if its even worth it. i know the tire compound reacts poorly to cold, but still its not exactly extreme winters here.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
The big issue I see with that is that 18" is pretty low profile and not the most ideal for a snow tire. Remeber when the snow falls and you have to plow through it, probably 1/4 of the rim itself would be covered in snow with an 18" wheel, the 16s or 17s would be alot more useful. Then again, it depends on what conditions you expect to be driving on, if you will not be actually driving through thick snow then its obviously less of a problem and all-seasons may be better.
      10-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
it would be rare that i'd be doing that in this area. i live downtown so the streets and freeways are usually cleared fairly quickly. i found some Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport tires that are the same size as OEM. would be a little over 700 for tires. i just have a hard time blowing 1-2k on wheels i may not even need. i can eat 700 more easily, i just don't know how feasable swapping tires on the rims are, and if i can re-mount my re0505a's come spring.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolix21
it would be rare that i'd be doing that in this area. i live downtown so the streets and freeways are usually cleared fairly quickly. i found some Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport tires that are the same size as OEM. would be a little over 700 for tires. i just have a hard time blowing 1-2k on wheels i may not even need. i can eat 700 more easily, i just don't know how feasable swapping tires on the rims are, and if i can re-mount my re0505a's come spring.
If your only going to be driving on roads after the snow plows come through, then your plan sounds like a great idea to me
      10-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Just make sure to find a good tire installer so that your wheels don't get scratched up with the repeated tire changes

10-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

I'm doing it. Just ordered a set of Pirelli SnowSport's to put on my 18's 162. I'm gonna sell the old RF's and get new wheels in the spring and save the style 162's as my backup/winters.

I hate RF's...worst idea from BMW ever. Just have a bottle of that can that is supposed to stop small holes in your tires. In the event of a very bad flat tire, call bmw assist and get a tow truck. **knock on wood**
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thanks guys, i'll have to call around to some shops and see what they think. there are some good import/performance shops around here i may try. fingers crossed i posted over at bimmerfest as well and Gary @Tirerack said the same thing, provided I can find a decent shop that knows what they are doing

I appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After thinking about this more with various people I think I may end up buying a 2nd set of 162's and having winters put on those. May seem like overkill but talking to people it seems I'm running a risk of ruining my summer tires by having them mounted/unmounted every 6 months. I mean, if they break the bead on one tire then I'm pretty screwed and those re050's are expensive. Could end up having to buy new tires if the installer screws up, so maybe 2grand up front saves me money in the long run.

The reason I want to stick with BMW oem wheels is b/c I've had terrible luck in the past with aftermarkets, mainly the ASA wheels everyone seems to like. I had a set on a Camry I had during university and the amount of time and money I spent on tires and attempts at getting them properly balanced was a nightmare. It was a horrible experience and if another 500 or so $ gets me high quality BMW wheels then its worth it. I spent 43k on my car so 2grand to ensure it drives smooth is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
Buckman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

Why not get 161's from bmwwheels.com if you want oem? Put 225's all around so you can rotate them. I think winters on 162's isn't the most wise choice. Where you are, you likely only need your winters on for 4.5 months a year anyway. Really, the 325 sport package wheels are pretty nice, not 162's, but still, very nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

I agree with Buckman. With 17s you can go to a 45 aspect ratio and maybe get a small increase of protection against potholes - which even city dwellers must cope with. Like you say - swapping out the 162s has some risk - not to mention the swapping expense twice a year. And with 17s you can go with a run-flat if you want.

The 161s are nice - don't know what other BMW 17s will fit over the SP brakes - the 159s are also nice, imo. I went the M5 replica w/ Dunlop RFTs and hope that'll get me 3 non-winter years on the Bridgestones.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
djb
Rep
Drives: 2009 DCT M3 Sedan-JzBlk/FxRd

go for it...

i am doing exactly the same.
one change of the rft's won't hurt.........after winter, am getting new 18in wheels for the stock 3-season Bridgestone rft's.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
djb
Rep
Drives: 2009 DCT M3 Sedan-JzBlk/FxRd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaajer
I'm doing it. Just ordered a set of Pirelli SnowSport's to put on my 18's 162. I'm gonna sell the old RF's and get new wheels in the spring and save the style 162's as my backup/winters.

I hate RF's...worst idea from BMW ever. Just have a bottle of that can that is supposed to stop small holes in your tires. In the event of a very bad flat tire, call bmw assist and get a tow truck. **knock on wood**
BMW ASSIST WILL NOT TOW if you use non-runflat tires. The whole idea is they don't have to tow for FLATS with RFTs.....so if you need a tow for a non-RFT, be prepared to pay. (Alternately, AAA is much less, per year thant the difference between ONE RFT and ONE non-RFT)...and AAA WILL tow...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #15
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
BMW ASSIST WILL NOT TOW if you use non-runflat tires. The whole idea is they don't have to tow for FLATS with RFTs.....so if you need a tow for a non-RFT, be prepared to pay. (Alternately, AAA is much less, per year thant the difference between ONE RFT and ONE non-RFT)...and AAA WILL tow...
My car insurance tows.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #16
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
for the 4 or 5 months i run winter tires i'll just keep this in my trunk
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp

and seriously, so what if you have to pay for a tow in a worst-case-scenario? you bought a BMW and you can't afford a tow?
Appreciate 0