E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Coolant question when tracking

07-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Coolant question when tracking

I spent a total of 6 hours tracking the car spread over 2 months. The coolant low warning came off and I had to add a full can of coolant (about 2 liters)--is that normal?

Also replaced my stock brake fluid with Billion Super Brake Fluid (boiling temp 330 in dry).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
How many miles are on the car? If you don't have to replace it again then sure. If you do you may have a leak in your radiator.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

no that's not normal. time to visit the dealer. also, your track use probably has nothing to do with this
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
I spent a total of 6 hours tracking the car spread over 2 months. The coolant low warning came off and I had to add a full can of coolant (about 2 liters)--is that normal?

Also replaced my stock brake fluid with Billion Super Brake Fluid (boiling temp 330 in dry).

You added straight coolant with no water?
      07-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
You added straight coolant with no water?
The mechanic added it. He added it straight--no water. Is that bad? When I read the manual, it said nothing about adding water...

EDIT: Not that i think about it, i am not sure--he might have added water--he poured the coolant in to a big plastic container with a nozzle and there might have been water in it already. He looked like he had done this a million times.

Last edited by akhter; 07-13-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
typically how often do you need to add coolant? I have about 4k miles on the car and this is the first time i am adding.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

coolant = green

windshield washer fluid = blue

are you sure it is coolant and not washer fluid?

if you are adding coolant (Green) that means something is wrong. either there is a leak or your motor is burning coolant.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

Most coolant is 50/50 premix so just adding coolant is a tough question to ask someone who didn't buy the product. Most mechanics use 50/50 when topping off cause its almost half the price. In warmer climates you can dilute the coolant for better cooling abilities. Water alone has better cooling properties than water and coolant but water alone is corrosive and in cold climates can freeze. Water wetter for warmer climates is one of the best products and if you live in colder climates you can add a little coolant/antifreeze. I believe like any other system the 335i has a pressure cap that releases coolant when the pressure gets too high. Its not uncommon to loose a little coolant over time if your tracking a car and the temps get high. More so if you dont check it often because the lower the coolant level gets the quicker the engine will build up heat /pressure. I am over simplifying my explanation but you get the point.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbeemer View Post
Its not uncommon to loose a little coolant over time if your tracking a car and the temps get high.
2L is a LOT of coolant to add. OP should monitor the coolant levels going forward, and check for white smoke coming out of the exhaust, or dripping into his parking space
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

agreed! learn to check all fluids before every track day. Easiest way to look dumb at the track, spend all that time and money to get there but not take two seconds to check all fluid levels. booom!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
agreed! learn to check all fluids before every track day. Easiest way to look dumb at the track, spend all that time and money to get there but not take two seconds to check all fluid levels. booom!
improperly torqued wheels is another one to look out for
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Most coolant is 50/50 premix so just adding coolant is a tough question to ask someone who didn't buy the product. Most mechanics use 50/50 when topping off cause its almost half the price. In warmer climates you can dilute the coolant for better cooling abilities. Water alone has better cooling properties than water and coolant but water alone is corrosive and in cold climates can freeze. Water wetter for warmer climates is one of the best products and if you live in colder climates you can add a little coolant/antifreeze. I believe like any other system the 335i has a pressure cap that releases coolant when the pressure gets too high. Its not uncommon to loose a little coolant over time if your tracking a car and the temps get high. More so if you dont check it often because the lower the coolant level gets the quicker the engine will build up heat /pressure. I am over simplifying my explanation but you get the point.
I bought a tin can of the BMW antifreeze stuff and the whole thing went in. Its definitely not washer fluid. Is that premixed?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #13
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

You cant do harm by putting in just antifreeze. Just dilute it to make it more efficient. Check the can you bought, if u threw it away call the dealer and see if they sell straight coolant or just premix. I would bet anything they only sell pre-mix. Not to be rude but if this isnt basic knowledge I would really stay away from doing things yourself and take it to the dealer or at least a knowledgeable friend who can help. These cars cost to much to be learning auto repair online. good luck though
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have a feeling it is not diluted (ie you need to mix with distilled water to get the appropriate concentration)

OP you should find this out ASAP and flush the coolant system if you poured straight anti freeze. You need the water + anti freeze mixture to provide adequate cooling
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
The mechanic added it. He added it straight--no water. Is that bad? When I read the manual, it said nothing about adding water...

EDIT: Not that i think about it, i am not sure--he might have added water--he poured the coolant in to a big plastic container with a nozzle and there might have been water in it already. He looked like he had done this a million times.
If it were me, I'd either flush the system and start over with the proper mix OR use an extractor to pull fluid from the reservoir and refill with distilled water, especially if the weather is warm.