E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Faulty Rear Lights Warning Dilemma

05-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
TYPE24R
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Faulty Rear Lights Warning Dilemma

Hi,

first post by me but something that has totally confused me and hopefully someone out there has experienced the same problem and might know how to fix it or at least what's causing it...

My check control warning has just suddenly flashed up saying the right rear bulb, the right rear reverse bulb and my right rear fog light are all faulty. These as you know are the three bulbs in the right side of the actual boot lid.

I changed the three bulbs for identical new ones and they still do not work, I then swapped out the bulbs into the left side cluster and they all worked, I then plugged the right side cluster itself into the left side plug and it all worked perfectly...

Could this be some sort of wiring fault ? I seem to recall someone mentioning faulty control modules in the footwell could be the cause...

Funnily enough, I went to BMW who bought a new cluster in - and surprisingly it didnt work, so it has to go back in again next week, does anyone have any other ideas ??? Any help would be aprechiated... thx
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Rogue335d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335da m-sport

Your problem is this. Broken neutral (brown) wire inside the flexi corrugated rubber tube that links the boot lid to the car.

Start by removing the trim on the boot lid, then removing all the trim on the (right) inside the boot to get at the loom.

The corrugated rubber tube comes away from the vehicle quite easily however your going to have to get some slack to work on it by removing all the loom fixings.

Once you get the loom tape removed there will be 2 thick brown wires in there, if you gently pull on them one at a time you will find the problem easily.

I diagnosed and fixed this same problem on my 2007 E90 in about 2 hours, I dread to think what BMW would have charged. Good luck.
Appreciate 0