E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Tuning Questions

05-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

N54 Tuning Questions

Stupid noob questions here but do the different tunes out there (Cobb/JB4/Procede/Giac ....) have a difference in performance on AT between regular "D" mode and Sport "DS" mode?

If so would you say that difference is more or less noticeable than the difference between them while stock?

One more stupid question: How would you compare the difference between stock sport mode and "tuned" D mode in normal day to day driving?

Thanks in advance! Trying to decide on this and I am new to it so these answers will help me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I don't have an AT, but IIRC all sport mode does is adjust transmission shift point and firmness correct? If that the case it will do the exact same thing tuned as it does untuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

The power difference between D and DS modes is exactly the same. The DS mode only puts your rpm's at a higher level in an attempt to keep the turbos spooled, so you have "power on demand" so to speak. It will never go into 6th gear, either.

To answer your other question, if you are going WOT on tuned D mode, you will beat a stock N54 on DS mode. you are still making more power no matter what with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
The power difference between D and DS modes is exactly the same. The DS mode only puts your rpm's at a higher level in an attempt to keep the turbos spooled, so you have "power on demand" so to speak. It will never go into 6th gear, either.
Thanks for the response...

Do you mean that there's no difference in actual power output between D and DS or that the same difference is kept weather the car is tuned or not?

Also in tuned "DS" mode, does the car respond noticeably better than tuned "D" just like it does in stock "DS" vs stock "D" or does having it tuned kind make this indistinguishable?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Stupid noob questions here but do the different tunes out there (Cobb/JB4/Procede/Giac ....) have a difference in performance on AT between regular "D" mode and Sport "DS" mode?

If so would you say that difference is more or less noticeable than the difference between them while stock?

One more stupid question: How would you compare the difference between stock sport mode and "tuned" D mode in normal day to day driving?

Thanks in advance! Trying to decide on this and I am new to it so these answers will help me.
The differences between D and Sport mode will be the same (with our software at least). The Sport mode just holds the gear longer and allows the revs to climb, and this is maintained with a new software flash. With our software, you will experience better throttle response. So, your normal D setting could feel closer to your untuned S setting, in terms of the throttle response. Further, you will also likely experience some increased throttle response in Sport mode following the software upgrade. While there isn't a power difference between driving in D or S mode, the new software will give a power increase that will have equal effects in both modes.

Hope this answers your question, and feel free to PM me if I can be of any more help!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
do the different tunes out there (Cobb/JB4/Procede/Giac ....) have a difference in performance on AT between regular "D" mode and Sport "DS" mode?
No.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Do you mean that there's no difference in actual power output between D and DS or that the same difference is kept weather the car is tuned or not?

Also in tuned "DS" mode, does the car respond noticeably better than tuned "D" just like it does in stock "DS" vs stock "D" or does having it tuned kind make this indistinguishable?
I use a COBB tune and the throttle response with the tune on is def better than the stock setting. There is no power/performance difference once the tune is on if I kick it between D and DS. DS just lets you hold gears longer and select when you change gears. Maybe from a stop the DS seems a little more "jumpy", but thats the only time you'd be able to notice a difference between D and DS.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

The only difference between D and DS is how long you stay in a lower gear.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
JC_335i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i (e92)

N54 tuning with pure600 turbos

Hi I wanted to ask a few questions about my car and how I can get it tuned through wedge performance and MHD. Currently I have a automatic 2007 335i I am on a stage 2+ tune and my turbos are going bad so I decided to get some upgraded turbos and bought pure600 turbos from ECS Tuning. Would I still be able to run a (OTS) tune from MHD or would I have to get a custom tune?

if that's the case could I graph logs and send them with a (OTS) Tune active or would I have to set the car to stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_335i View Post
Hi I wanted to ask a few questions about my car and how I can get it tuned through wedge performance and MHD. Currently I have a automatic 2007 335i I am on a stage 2+ tune and my turbos are going bad so I decided to get some upgraded turbos and bought pure600 turbos from ECS Tuning. Would I still be able to run a (OTS) tune from MHD or would I have to get a custom tune?

if that's the case could I graph logs and send them with a (OTS) Tune active or would I have to set the car to stock?
I replied to your other duplicate post.......
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0