E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick Stage 2 Update

01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Waste of time of you ask me. You increase the outlet but the leave the inlet the same size. Thats like a funnel, no matter how much bigger one end is, you are only getting as much flow as the smallest diameter. They should have made the turbo side one big diameter to just slide right over the turbo snout. Not neck it down. Plus trying to fit these with the engine in the car must be a nightmare. The stock plastics ones insight hair pulling to remove / install and they bend and give and that is with the subframe removed.
Yea my rear turbo pipe loosened up over time and it was a PAIN to try to even get that back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

The word is that those are increased in ID at the inlet and outlet. I believe the inlet ID was specified and was quite and increase, the outlet ID (at the turbo inlet) was specified to be increased as well but a specific measurement was not provided. If that ID was increased sufficiently, then would be a great part to buy. If not, then total waste. From appearance alone it appears there was some significant increase so all should be well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
The word is that those are increased in ID at the inlet and outlet. I believe the inlet ID was specified and was quite and increase, the outlet ID (at the turbo inlet) was specified to be increased as well but a specific measurement was not provided. If that ID was increased sufficiently, then would be a great part to buy. If not, then total waste. From appearance alone it appears there was some significant increase so all should be well.
I mixed up In and Out in my description, sorry on my phone. The Inlet seems fine, the outlet is what makes them pointless, IMO. Again, WHY not just make the ID slip fit the stock gasket on the snout, WHY neck it down at at all? I'm just trying to understand the thinking there, if you are going to cast such a nice looking piece, make it flow as much as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nothing wrong with necking it down, provided the final ID spec is a good match for the compressor inducer. The jury is still out on the exact spec. Something tells me though that they did a good job optimizing them to the housings potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with necking it down, provided the final ID spec is a good match for the compressor inducer. The jury is still out on the exact spec. Something tells me though that they did a good job optimizing them to the housings potential.
We can agree to disagree I guess, do not see why they would put that step in there. Just have the ID slip fit the snout gasket, no need for a step. As I said my opinion. They do like nice castings though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Anyone running that intake kit? Isn't like $2,000 USD?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
It is difficult to say from the photo. If you have an extra inlet tube you could look at your piece and the pic and try to guesstimate if the outlet id is larger than stock. Since nobody has measured / reported the diameter, I'm afraid it is not increased.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

All I have posted was based on data provided a while ago on another forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
All I have posted was based on data provided a while ago on another forum.
I am curious to see what happens with some testing with them. They look like they are well made
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agree. Only issue was cost being astronomic.

Quote:
I am curious to see what happens with some testing with them. They look like they are well made
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #33
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

I asked if its not possible to just cut off the ends on these pieces and use silicone adapters to connect and also make wider. Not a good idea ?
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
I asked if its not possible to just cut off the ends on these pieces and use silicone adapters to connect and also make wider. Not a good idea ?
No Reason why it wouldn't work. Just don't like cutting up $2000 dollar castings. If the necks don't reduce much it would be pretty extreme to cut them off and use connectors. Has anyone actually texted the stock pipes and seen how restrictive they are or aren't?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
No Reason why it wouldn't work. Just don't like cutting up $2000 dollar castings. If the necks don't reduce much it would be pretty extreme to cut them off and use connectors. Has anyone actually texted the stock pipes and seen how restrictive they are or aren't?
I'm sure he meant cutting the stock tubes and saving the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Anyone running that intake kit? Isn't like $2,000 USD?
Alpina_b3_Lux is running these. He says the outlet diameter is the same as stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Jupp
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This would make the most sense but I don't take anything for granted on these forums anymore.. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Alpina_b3_Lux is running these. He says the outlet diameter is the same as stock.
Well the OD diameter has to be the same as stock to fit the turbo snouts. But it looks like they did increase the ID of the inside opening. How much not sure
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #40
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I looked into making mold ends for the OEM tubes and weld/glue them to the original inlets to reduce the unnecessary and severe flow limiting taper. End result was a cost I was unwilling to stomach. It actually made the price from those other offerings seem much more reasonable. Great idea though if someone has some great connections in plastic forming.
Appreciate 0