Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MY TPMS ACTING WEIRD... help please!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
MY TPMS ACTING WEIRD... help please!

I recently change to an after market wheels but we have re-used my old oem tpms... then after a few days I started having issues with it... And it happens when i hit a bump or anything that shakes the car... the message are as follows:

1ST - "TPMS MALFUNCTION"

2ND - "TPMS EXTERNAL INTERFERENCE"

Does anyone of you have encountered this warnings?...

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
Did you change the tire/rim size from OEM?

I had/have a similar problem with my summer wheels and it took a little bit of trial and error to find the right PSI for the tires to keep them, handling and TMPS sensors in check.

I still get TMPS errors with large temperature swings, but nothing a reset and couple miles of sane driving doesn't fix.
      09-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin View Post
Did you change the tire/rim size from OEM?

I had/have a similar problem with my summer wheels and it took a little bit of trial and error to find the right PSI for the tires to keep them, handling and TMPS sensors in check.

I still get TMPS errors with large temperature swings, but nothing a reset and couple miles of sane driving doesn't fix.
well i went from oem 18's to 19's...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
well i went from oem 18's to 19's...
That's what I did too..

Magic numbers for me were 36 PSI in the front and 39 PSI in the rear. I never have seen the "External Interference" error until recently when some work was done on my Pre-LCI E90 and they updated the software in the car. But it too went away with a reset.
      09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I did too..

Magic numbers for me were 36 PSI in the front and 39 PSI in the rear. I never have seen the "External Interference" error until recently when some work was done on my Pre-LCI E90 and they updated the software in the car. But it too went away with a reset.
I also did a LCI taillight upgrade ... does that have anything to do with the TPMS?...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I did too..

I also did a LCI taillight upgrade and AE ... does that have anything to do with the TPMS?...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I have changed several wheels and tires to aftermarket on several cars with TPMS including BMW. Haven't typically seen that problem come up if everything was installed properly and the tpms grommets and retention nut were replaced with new parts.

Have you reset the system and the message still comes up? And are you sure whoever put the tires on the rims didn't damage one of the sensors? Your Sensor is basically a small plastic box with a hole that allows an aluminum valve stem to go through it. The aluminum valve stem is held in place by a torx screw and has a round bottom to fit in the round seat of the sensor. The system is adjustable so that you can set the sensor at a different angle if needed. Over that there should be a rubber grommet that seals between the base of the aluminum valve stem and the wheel and then a plastic retention nut that should be torqued to seal from the outside of the wheel.

If you have a different system in place to hold your sensor, or the thing broken and rolling around in your wheel, that could cause a problem.

Your sensor is part number 9 (torx screw, sensor, aluminum valve stem), if the sensors are all working properly, it could be the antenna or possible the control module, but those don't typically have any problems whatsoever (I have never seen one that needed to be replace on an e90 in our service center)

Edit: You should be able to take it a tire and wheel center that has a Tech400 TPMS scan tool that should be able to scan your sensors to see if they are working properly for free. Most Discount Tire Co. stores should have one. If your sensors all scan ok, then it may be something more serious. If it doesn't scan properly you may have a broken sensor that needs to be replaced.
Like us on facebook!

Last edited by phillip@bmpdesign; 09-18-2012 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Edit to add free sensor diagnosis problem
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
I have changed several wheels and tires to aftermarket on several cars with TPMS including BMW. Haven't typically seen that problem come up if everything was installed properly and the tpms grommets and retention nut were replaced with new parts.

Have you reset the system and the message still comes up? And are you sure whoever put the tires on the rims didn't damage one of the sensors? Your Sensor is basically a small plastic box with a hole that allows an aluminum valve stem to go through it. The aluminum valve stem is held in place by a torx screw and has a round bottom to fit in the round seat of the sensor. The system is adjustable so that you can set the sensor at a different angle if needed. Over that there should be a rubber grommet that seals between the base of the aluminum valve stem and the wheel and then a plastic retention nut that should be torqued to seal from the outside of the wheel.

If you have a different system in place to hold your sensor, or the thing broken and rolling around in your wheel, that could cause a problem.

Your sensor is part number 9 (torx screw, sensor, aluminum valve stem), if the sensors are all working properly, it could be the antenna or possible the control module, but those don't typically have any problems whatsoever (I have never seen one that needed to be replace on an e90 in our service center)

Edit: You should be able to take it a tire and wheel center that has a Tech400 TPMS scan tool that should be able to scan your sensors to see if they are working properly for free. Most Discount Tire Co. stores should have one. If your sensors all scan ok, then it may be something more serious. If it doesn't scan properly you may have a broken sensor that needs to be replaced.
Geeez! thank you so much... I have been trying to play with the tire pressure and resetting it but it always showing up when i hit a bump... but thank you for your input I will ask my tire guy to scan my TPMS...
Appreciate 0