E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Rubbernecking

02-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Rubbernecking

Seriously, when will this stop?

I'm sick and tired of sitting in an hours traffic only to find out the cause is due to people in front of me staring at the incident on the other side of the road. Not only is it a waste of time and completely irritating, it's fucking dangerous as well.

They need to put out some kind of news bulletin, adverts etc. Whatever they're doing to stop it isn't working. They really need to nail it home to people, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

A 12ft high extendable curtain rising out of the central reservation would do the trick...
      02-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
The accusations of rubber necking are largely exaggerated in my opinion.

If you are going along a busy motorway and there a big incident on the other side of the road it's totally natural to slow down a bit. There could easily be debris on the opposite cariaageway from the incident for instance.

The knock on impact of this on a busy motorway is to cause bunching of the traffic which ultimately permeates and gets worse.

So it's inevitable that it cause congestion on the other side of the road.

So chill out and don't be so self-righteous!

On the other hand the BBC News recently had an article about screens for such instances
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
MPD78
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport 2008

Maybe this will help.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20851775
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Its human nature unfortunately.The highways agency have screens for this purpose-not used enough though and probably not practical when dealing with a minor or semi-serious and there is a likelihood of the carriageway being cleared quickly...
Ah,scratch that-just looked at the last reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I find people hogging the third lane of a mororway more annoying and more dangerous. Forces me to do an undertake, and not a casual one
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I find people hogging the third lane of a mororway more annoying and more dangerous. Forces me to do an undertake, and not a casual one
I disagree, it’s the folk hogging the middle lane that cause the problems. Nobody wants to drive in the empty left hand lane for fear of ridicule

()
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley
The accusations of rubber necking are largely exaggerated in my opinion.

If you are going along a busy motorway and there a big incident on the other side of the road it's totally natural to slow down a bit. There could easily be debris on the opposite cariaageway from the incident for instance.

The knock on impact of this on a busy motorway is to cause bunching of the traffic which ultimately permeates and gets worse.

So it's inevitable that it cause congestion on the other side of the road.

So chill out and don't be so self-righteous!

On the other hand the BBC News recently had an article about screens for such instances
Sorry but people are slowing down just to have a nose.

I know people who have witnessed accidents just because some idiot is looking at what's going on across the road and ends up rear ending someone.

I'm not just saying this for my own sake, as I said before I think it's highly dangerous.

If there was debris or anything on my side then that road needs to be cleared too.

I can assure you that in most incidences, it's because people are just too bloody nosy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
I disagree, it’s the folk hogging the middle lane that cause the problems. Nobody wants to drive in the empty left hand lane for fear of ridicule

()
True, they are just as annoying but at least you have a legal way to pass. With third lane hoggers you have to resort to illegal activity
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post
Sorry but people are slowing down just to have a nose.

I know people who have witnessed accidents just because some idiot is looking at what's going on across the road and ends up rear ending someone.

I'm not just saying this for my own sake, as I said before I think it's highly dangerous.

If there was debris or anything on my side then that road needs to be cleared too.

I can assure you that in most incidences, it's because people are just too bloody nosy.

LOL mate I watch digital TV in my car with in a traffic jam. Its all good
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post

()

That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25. It is not illegal to pass on the inside, only illegal to under take.

And as Clarkson has said many times, you shouldn't be able to undertake people if they are not driving selfishly!

Middle laners are the reason people in the outside lane are stuck there too, you can't move in because some moron is driving in the middle lane at 60mph, turning the 3 lane motorway into a single lane one for anyone who drives at the speed limit.

Last edited by djgandy; 02-15-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25. It is not illegal to pass on the inside, only illegal to under take.

And as Clarkson has said many times, you shouldn't be able to undertake people if they are not driving selfishly!

Middle laners are the reason people in the outside lane are stuck there too, you can't move in because some moron is driving in the middle lane at 60mph, turning the 3 lane motorway into a single lane one for anyone who drives at the speed limit.
I hate the M1 for this exact reason - the only difference is that the morons camp in lane three of four, leaving two empty lanes up the left (making a lane 1 left-hand pass much safer ).
      02-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #13
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25.
I beg to differ Fella,but at least I now know who it is that holds me up

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The only issue I had with the slow/normal cruising lane was the ruts lefts by heavy loads vehicles and the tramlining it caused. But I havent noticed it very much at all these so I happy if i am not booting it to chill.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Why aren't UK drivers like the French or Germans, re hogging lanes.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
so many fcuktards on the roads these days....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Another reason for traffic are fuckwit lorry drivers who pull out to overtake another truck (whose pretty much limited to same bloody speed!!)and then spend 5 mins trying to get past with all other traffic backed up the outside lane and trying to get past the moron truck driver in the middle lane.

Seen this sooo many times its unreal and the traffic it causes.
      02-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Another reason for traffic are fuckwit lorry drivers who pull out to overtake another truck (whose pretty much limited to same bloody speed!!)and then spend 5 mins trying to get past with all other traffic backed up the outside lane and trying to get past the moron truck driver in the middle lane.

This is annoying, but not as annoying as when it is a lorry overtaking a car. What the hell is the car doing?!!?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
LOL mate I watch digital TV in my car with in a traffic jam. Its all good
Haha, I do that in very heavy traffic too. I'd still prefer to be getting to where I need to on time though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #20
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK

I disagree ( to an extent). It's the fuckwits in the cars hogging the middle lane at the same speed as the HGVs, who don't anticipate the truck's impending overtaking manoeuvre and then just pull out into lane 3 for no reason......and still continue to pootle along at the same speed. Aaaarrgghh!!!

HGVs have speed restrictors and therefore your approach to motorway driving should accommodate for that. Car drivers have no excuse. Check your mirrors, indicate, increase speed, overtake and pull back in. It's not exactly rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
I disagree ( to an extent). It's the fuckwits in the cars hogging the middle lane at the same speed as the HGVs, who don't anticipate the truck's impending overtaking manoeuvre and then just pull out into lane 3 for no reason......and still continue to pootle along at the same speed. Aaaarrgghh!!!

HGVs have speed restrictors and therefore your approach to motorway driving should accommodate for that. Car drivers have no excuse. Check your mirrors, indicate, increase speed, overtake and pull back in. It's not exactly rocket science.
I think what you're both saying is true.

I can understand the time restraints HGV drivers have to deal with these days but a lot of the time their overtaking is pointless, it doesn't actually get them much further ahead than the HGV behind.
They'll do it on two lane M/A roads, even when there are signs to tell them not to, that's when it's the worst. You get a huge back up of cars while this HGV spends two minutes trying to overtake, which just causes extra unnecessary danger as well.
Appreciate 0