E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anybody "quit" social media?

07-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E92

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone totally off the social media grid altogether?

I used to have Facebook a few years back but it didn't really seem useful to be honest.

The only platform I have is Instagram and even that gets monotonous. I remember somebody comparing it to when you are in the dentist waiting room, picking up a magazine, scrolling through the photos and then placing it back down again. Yet with instagram for example you repeat that process numerous times throughout the day/night.

The worst part for most is it's a highlight reel for most.

It probably has it's uses for some people, I'm just wondering if anybody has seen it more of a time suck and ditched it completely? Or never had a social media account in the first place?

I don't class forums as social media btw :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
Just wondering if anyone has ever gone totally off the social media grid altogether?

I used to have Facebook a few years back but it didn't really seem useful to be honest.

The only platform I have is Instagram and even that gets monotonous. I remember somebody comparing it to when you are in the dentist waiting room, picking up a magazine, scrolling through the photos and then placing it back down again. Yet with instagram for example you repeat that process.

The worst part for most is it's a highlight reel for most.

It probably has it's uses for some people, I'm just wondering if anybody has seen it more of a time suck and ditched it completely? Or never had a social media account in the first place?

I don't class forums as social media btw :-)

Pretty much dont use FB any more myself. Too many unnecessary issues and people being so combative it just wasnt worth my time. I still dabble in IG but FB and Twitter its really rare that I share anything

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

+1 maybe it's an age thing but I really can't see the point of FB etc, does anyone really need thousands of friends they've never met or even spoken to?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

FB is really dropping now, I use it less and less. I can't help notice that some of my friends use it to just "brand" themselves. It becomes a ridiculous exercise of ego boosting propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
E90 posts the only social media I use.
I was on Facebook many years ago for a short while until a exgirlfriend contacted me wanting to meet up at a hotel. I was tempted but as I'd been with my partner a couple of years at the time I thought better of it & removed myself from temptation by deleting the account.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 07-19-2017 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
I was on Facepaerty many years ago for a short while until a exgirlfriend contacted me wanting to meet up at a hotel. I was tempted but as I'd been with my partner a couple of years at the time I thought better of it & removed myself from temptation by deleting the account.

Last year I majorly pissed off an ex-girfriend that invited me to lunch to "catch up"; That was on LinkedIn. I told her new husband probably would not appreciate it. Got a raft of insults back (I'm still laughing now)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
I was on Facebook many years ago for a short while until a exgirlfriend contacted me wanting to meet up at a hotel. I was tempted but as I'd been with my partner a couple of years at the time I thought better of it & removed myself from temptation by deleting the account.

Very sensible ...... I don't suppose you've still got her number?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
+1 maybe it's an age thing but I really can't see the point of FB etc, does anyone really need thousands of friends they've never met or even spoken to?
All depends what you wanna do. I don't accept ppl I've never met. I got Facebook when it first got released back in 2004, same account and all and I only have 298 friends. I don't accept ppl Ive never met.

I only use fb and nothing else. And I don't even post on fb. It's more for trolling with ppl and there status
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
Mboon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I have it but every year I cut it down more and more. Delete people, remove groups. Block more people.

As has been said, you cannot post anything without some do gooder or leftie branding you something.

Full of people who spend more time telling people how great their lives are bit spending most of their holidays or spare time posting to it.

I find a lot of the car groups have a set amount of trolls on who just make most sensible people back away from posting.

Snapchat went a while ago, only part of that I miss is taking the funny face recognitionphotos with my kids.

Instagram I still have but only a selected few I follow and set as private.

My biggest gripe with social media is how if you like something or comment on it, this instantly gets put in all my friends news feeds and they can see it. I have my hobbies and interests and I don't really want to bore all my friends with them. I have checked and can see no way of turning this feature off
Facebook are constantly changing their privacy settings as well which seem to allow or changes settings so stuff you have protected can now be viewed.

I work in IT and know just how easy it is for the information posted on or through social media can soon build up. This information in the wrong hands can be dangerous.

I am weaning myself off all of them now.

And anyone in a relationship will know just how much hassle it can cause if you like or someone likes a photo etc
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

I was off all social media. I'm in contact with all the friends I needed to be, and what I get up to in my private time I like to keep private. However there are a number of good car groups and meets of Facebook so reactivated my account but with the strictest privacy controls. So no one can see my posts or friends etc. Also I have turned off all notifications for my friends etc so I only see car relevant posts. I am a terrible friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #12
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Mostly use Facebook to promote my DJing, it's a pretty powerful and useful tool in that respect. Got friends all round the world that I've met through music and it's a good way to keep in touch with them/easily see how they're doing.

The way some people live their entire life through it is quite ridiculous, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #13
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

I use F/B just to keep tabs on my kids and family / friends overseas.

Also part of several BMW groups but even that can be challenging at times due to stupid people.

As for Instagram and Snapchat I just don't go there
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
LinkedIn for business and twitter for personal and business. Facebook can go fuck itself! All the others can't be araed.