E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Passenger motor mount change

01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Passenger motor mount change

Has anyone DIY'd their right side engine mount? I've got the 335is version to fit on my car and the 16mm nut which is under the turbos seems impossible to get to.

My car is RHD so the steering column passes over the top of the mount making it even more difficult to get to it. I'm thinking of just dropping the subframe from the rear a few inches to improve access as I'm not too keen on removing the downpipes. The other option I can think off is removing the steering shaft from the rack and swinging the rack out of the way. I've just replaced the tie rods on both sides so the car will need alignment anyway.

I've put a new OEM mount on the other side which was really easy to do with the charge pipe removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

It's best to drop the subframe a few inches, you can swing a wrench through the gap between the frame and the lowered subframe and access the top motor mount bolt more easily. The steering shaft is held to the steering rack by one pinch bolt, very easy to remove and reinstall as long as you have the right size torx socket.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
It's best to drop the subframe a few inches, you can swing a wrench through the gap between the frame and the lowered subframe and access the top motor mount bolt more easily. The steering shaft is held to the steering rack by one pinch bolt, very easy to remove and reinstall as long as you have the right size torx socket.
Thanks for the reply. It is only 6 bolts to lower the subframe and another 2 for the steering rack so will have a go at it this sunday. I'll make sure the steering wheel is locked in the straight ahead position if I decide to remove the steering shaft.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
This.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Thanks for the reply. It is only 6 bolts to lower the subframe and another 2 for the steering rack so will have a go at it this sunday. I'll make sure the steering wheel is locked in the straight ahead position if I decide to remove the steering shaft.
The steering shaft should have a tab and slot so you can install it in the same position. It's very convenient!
It's also very necessary since the DME will throw a code if the steering angle sensor detects mis-alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
The steering shaft should have a tab and slot so you can install it in the same position. It's very convenient!
It's also very necessary since the DME will throw a code if the steering angle sensor detects mis-alignment.
Managed to get the motor mount changed this morning. I dropped the subframe about 2-3 inches and that gave me plenty of space to get the nut on top of the mount out. The only difficult part was maneuvering the mount in and out of place but managed it in the end. Didn't need to remove the steering shaft in which saved some time.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0