E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Body shop for rust repair in NoVA?

03-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Body shop for rust repair in NoVA?

Hi all,

This is actually for my Jeep but I figured I would post here just in case someone had a connection. I have a Jeep Cherokee (XJ, not ZJ) and finally got some lift time over at my buddy's shop yesterday to start removing the rear bumper and skid plate in preparation to install a new off-road bumper. Unfortunately I found when I removed some of the plastic trim pieces that there is some rust starting on one of the quarter panels where you can't see it with everything installed. I have not yet started chipping away at it to see if it's coming from the outside or the inside but I'm just assuming that it's rusting from the backside of the panel and therefore will need welding and that I can't just hit it with POR-15 and be done with it.

Additionally, the bumper I'm putting on is fabricated and due to the weather I simply can't seem to find any free time to paint it when temperatures are in any way suitable for painting. I'm not looking for anything fancy, more just a good coat of DP-90 and I'll finish it with Krylon at the shop later. (it sounds ghetto, but really, it's a Jeep. If I use semi-gloss black Krylon, if I scuff it up I can just hit it with a Scotchbrite pad and respray; no harm no foul.)

I'm in Sterling so the closer to there the better...

thanks for any leads!

PS - I was just explaining to the mechanic at the shop yesterday - young kid - why you don't buy cars from Pennsylvania. If I'd only listened to my own advice... but really, other than this one spot, it appears completely rust free other than surface rust on the underbits, which I'll hit with a spray can next time I can get some more lift time. I do think I probably should take all the fender flares off for an inspection though... Why though to fasteners rust faster than anything? It took me about 3 hours to get the original rear bumper off, two of which were spent fighting with two nuts in really poor locations so I couldn't use air tools. I never did get the skidplate off, I will have to grind away two bolt heads and I've destroyed one of the factory nutstrips - fortunately easy to replace and I already have replacements.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
E92mech
E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport

See my post above:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821229
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Sounds like a good shop but I have a feeling they won't want to touch non-collision work. I really could do this myself but I have no work space and no welder I'll call them though, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised!
Appreciate 0