E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hedge 1 - Needforspeed Nil

08-09-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Hedge 1 - Needforspeed Nil

As you probably know I'm not the most active on the car detailing front.

However, I've just got back from my hols in the Southwest and after 2 weeks of driving down narrow lanes my first wash has revealed some very fine scratches down the passenger side of the car in the clear-coat.

Most of these are just about invisible after an application of 'lazy wax' (turtle wax - wax it wet) which is about the best I can usually manage.

One is still fairly prominent though - and it goes right through the front wing and both doors.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of it without major surgery?

I've also got a nasty door ding on the passenger side rear wing (b*stardos) as well as a scratch behind the rear drivers side door that I'm going to try to get 'chips away' to remove.

All advice would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I hate that... every time I go into a bush I come out with scratches...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
I hate that... every time I go into a bush I come out with scratches...
Get them to shave.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Micky Dee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW sdrive 3.0i

Garage List
but watch out for stubble..........
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dee View Post
but watch out for stubble..........
Meanwhile .... what should I do about the scratch marks on my car ....

Sell it and buy a 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
That's the only way of really being sure they're gone.

If they are only in the laquer you night be able to polish them out. Take a look at somewhere like www.detailingworld.co.uk or the "detailing matt" section on babybmw.net for lots of people polishing cars to good effect. A decent detailer with all the right kit might be a bit pricy, but should make it look as close to new as possible.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
NFS. If you can feel your finger nail catching in it then I believe it means it has gone through the clear coat. The detailers Matt is reffering to will probably "wet sand" it which sounds harsh but they simply reduce the level of clear coat surrounding the scratch to the same level as the scratch then polish it up.

Once mine gets some marks (it already has a few) I intend to get it professionally detailed and the paintwork corrected. Will probably cost a few hundred quid but to get rid of stone chips and scratches (which they can do) and take it back to as-new condition I reckon it'll be worth it. There's only so much they can do though. Usually someone in your area will pop out if they are around your way and give you a free quote.

See if only you had an auto you'd have been concentrating on driving and not changing gears and it wouldn't have happened Only kiddin.

Post some pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Post some pics?
Of the offending hedge...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
NFS. If you can feel your finger nail catching in it then I believe it means it has gone through the clear coat. The detailers Matt is reffering to will probably "wet sand" it which sounds harsh but they simply reduce the level of clear coat surrounding the scratch to the same level as the scratch then polish it up.

Once mine gets some marks (it already has a few) I intend to get it professionally detailed and the paintwork corrected. Will probably cost a few hundred quid but to get rid of stone chips and scratches (which they can do) and take it back to as-new condition I reckon it'll be worth it. There's only so much they can do though. Usually someone in your area will pop out if they are around your way and give you a free quote.

See if only you had an auto you'd have been concentrating on driving and not changing gears and it wouldn't have happened Only kiddin.

Post some pics?
You definitely can't feel it. The scratches are very fine ...

I was kind of hoping that a better quality wax might hide it. Also what about t-cut ... will that feather the edges a little?

Can anyone recommend a detailer in Solihull? That might be my best bet.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Of the offending hedge...
I didn't get any pics of the hedge ... I was going too fast
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #11
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
You definitely can't feel it. The scratches are very fine ...

I was kind of hoping that a better quality wax might hide it. Also what about t-cut ... will that feather the edges a little?

Can anyone recommend a detailer in Solihull? That might be my best bet.
I think you can get some waxes that act like 'fillers'. I got some Meg's scratchx for fine scratches on mine - if you watch the vids on their site it is amazing but I worked really hard on it and didn't get a result.

If you post some pics it might help (of the scratches, seen enough hedges

Best bet for detailers is to post on detailing world. I reckon there'll be loads near you, even a decent amateur with a polishing machine could probably do the job by the sound of it.

I'd steer clear of T-Cut - think its a hammer and nut kind of stuff.

You could email my favourite supplier at polishedbliss who are also top detailers and ask their advice (again pics will prob help), they might even know someone near you.

enquiries@polishedbliss.co.uk

tell them Paul sent you.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you can get some waxes that act like 'fillers'. I got some Meg's scratchx for fine scratches on mine - if you watch the vids on their site it is amazing but I worked really hard on it and didn't get a result.

If you post some pics it might help (of the scratches, seen enough hedges

Best bet for detailers is to post on detailing world. I reckon there'll be loads near you, even a decent amateur with a polishing machine could probably do the job by the sound of it.

I'd steer clear of T-Cut - think its a hammer and nut kind of stuff.

You could email my favourite supplier at polishedbliss who are also top detailers and ask their advice (again pics will prob help), they might even know someone near you.

enquiries@polishedbliss.co.uk

tell them Paul sent you.
Cheers for that .. the scratch x looks worth a try, but I'm concerned it didn't work for you.

The link Matt posted had some stuff about 'glazes' to temporarily fill the clear coat ... are these any good ... can anyone recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Try this for a bit of light reading: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...es_polish.html

I've never used more than the Zymol HD-Cleanse, which is a very light polish that is really only intended to remove all the wax and crud from the paint surface as a preparation for proper waxing.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #14
OriginalFrak
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I have a few...

Garage List
It's always hard to tell without seeing the depth and width of the scoring but..

We live in the southwest, and I'm always telling my wife to not try and squeeze past other tourist cars on the lanes especially when there are lovely bramble bushes on the passenger side.

Their needles leave those super thin but very deep scratches all down the left hand side of her car. (Bonnet to rear quarter)

So far though - I've been able to "fill them up " with a polish with fillers in.
I've had good results with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish - but you seem to need to use more on the application cloth than you think is required for best filling results.

Not so much that you leave a horrible thick white powedery coating on the paintwork though - would be hell to get off by hand without leaving marring.

Really work it in with a terry pad until it almost disappears - then leave couple of mins - then buff off with a microfibre - rinse and repeat if necessary - maybe the second time applying with a foam applicator to make sure your not overdoing it.

This article comparing polishes that cut and fill should give you some idea of what can be achieved by hand.
Auto Glym SRP Versus Other Cut and Fill Polishes

Last edited by OriginalFrak; 08-09-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Time to trade it for a 335i
Absolutely loving mine!
      08-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP View Post
Time to trade it for a 335i
Absolutely loving mine!
Maybe so ... but I should probably sort the hedge marks out first to maximise resale value

Poor shot of the scratch from my phone camera.

It's not deep at all, just fine scuffing of the top layer of clearcoat. You can't feel it at all, but it is quite visible:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I didn't get any pics of the hedge ... I was going too fast
Use a faster shutter speed.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Use a faster shutter speed.
OK, this time following SoYanks advice ... here is the offending hedge:

The farmer has trimmed it now, but there were long sticky out green bits which brushed against the side of my nice shiny car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
NFS I'm dissapointed - there's at least 2 cars width there before you start scratching the paintwork

I took my e90 to devon with lanes like that when it was about 7 days old. The only hazard I had trouble with was seagulls when I got to my car in the morning, it looked like they'd been out for a curry the night before and then decided to use my car as target practice. Still got the marks on the roof to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
I've had the same problem, my wife comes from Cornwall.

Last time she was back home the 335 came back with some serious bush marks down the passenger side. My cousin (also lives down there) recommended Turtle Wax Safe Cut Scratch Remover. It worked really well and got rid of the offending marks in combination with the Autoglym SRP.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #21
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
NFS I'm dissapointed - there's at least 2 cars width there before you start scratching the paintwork

I took my e90 to devon with lanes like that when it was about 7 days old. The only hazard I had trouble with was seagulls when I got to my car in the morning, it looked like they'd been out for a curry the night before and then decided to use my car as target practice. Still got the marks on the roof to prove it.
OK .. it wasn't that exact hedge, but it was similar - just with more sticky out bits ...

Chris ... thanks for the turtle wax scratch remover tip !
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #22
OriginalFrak
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I have a few...

Garage List
That bit of road there is good for at least 70mph.

Well it is for the locals where I live anyway.

I wondered why the churches were so busy on a sunday round here - then realised they were all asking for a top-up of divine intervention for the blind bends in the lanes.

I reckon that scratch will be a thing of the past shortly.