E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OEM vs Aftermarket

06-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

OEM vs Aftermarket

Hey guys
So I need to replace a thing or two in my car but was wondering what people prefer as in just bite the bullet and buy OEM even though it cost a good penny or just rather get a aftermarket part that is just as good as OEM... Not sure if theres a thread that exists but I thought I'll ask... Part I want to replace for starters is my AC Condenser. Dealership wants $600+ online around $200+ being that its only for the AC would it matter?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

you can get most OEM parts from other suppliers and save a bunch of money vs. getting them from the dealer.

try searching for the part number in google and see what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
you can get most OEM parts from other suppliers and save a bunch of money vs. getting them from the dealer.

try searching for the part number in google and see what comes up.

Thank you sir! I will do.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

There are some parts that I would prefer to stick with Genuine BMW parts just for the warranty in case that part does fail. BMW tax is rather steep though.

Buy from dealerships that do have a online parts store as well. shop around you might get a good deal. Tischer, ecs tuning are my two go to sites.
      06-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
+1 for Tischer. For things like T stat, WP, etc, I stick with OEM and Tischer seems to have the best price and excellent communication/service.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

In a lot of cases majority of those aftermarket part brands are OE Part Suppliers like Zimmerman, Pierburg, Mahle-Behr and so forth.

I do a lot of my part purchases from ECSTuning and FCPEuro... they usually supply those brands and more OE brands, at the moment of time for my E90 LCI Mahle-Behr would be a OE Part replacement for my AC Condenser.

Yes you get the warranty from the dealer, however on a lot of these parts you get up to a 3 year warranty, and for 1/3 the price I'd recommend that route, definitely stick if going aftermarket, OE Suppliers.

My previous vehicle I've replaced so many parts on it like condensers compressors, pumps and so forth, in all cases I purchased parts from OE Suppliers not from the dealer, from those sites and a few others too. I've had great luck with them, whatever I've ever replaced never failed again on my previous vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
There are some parts that I would prefer to stick with Genuine BMW parts just for the warranty in case that part does fail. BMW tax is rather steep though.

Buy from dealerships that do have a online parts store as well. shop around you might get a good deal. Tischer, ecs tuning are my two go to sites.

And I would have to agree with you. I would stick to OEM myself but for minor things does it really matter you know? Therefore when it came down to the AC condenser I went with aftermarket hopefully it works just as good or better. I actually order it from ECS Tuning since they offer OEM or aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichieX View Post
+1 for Tischer. For things like T stat, WP, etc, I stick with OEM and Tischer seems to have the best price and excellent communication/service.
I must agree. I think I saw the part I was looking for about $200 less give and take compared to my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
In a lot of cases majority of those aftermarket part brands are OE Part Suppliers like Zimmerman, Pierburg, Mahle-Behr and so forth.

I do a lot of my part purchases from ECSTuning and FCPEuro... they usually supply those brands and more OE brands, at the moment of time for my E90 LCI Mahle-Behr would be a OE Part replacement for my AC Condenser.

Yes you get the warranty from the dealer, however on a lot of these parts you get up to a 3 year warranty, and for 1/3 the price I'd recommend that route, definitely stick if going aftermarket, OE Suppliers.

My previous vehicle I've replaced so many parts on it like condensers compressors, pumps and so forth, in all cases I purchased parts from OE Suppliers not from the dealer, from those sites and a few others too. I've had great luck with them, whatever I've ever replaced never failed again on my previous vehicle.

So did I invent in something good? Lol the AC condenser is made by Mahle Behr but could not really find much input based on that brand or if anyone had ever replace this part before. But I did read among the lines it was OEM quality or something in that nature as stated. Yeah I'm out of warranty now so wherever I can save a buck or two I am willing too especially since my local dealer charges way too much.

That gave me a piece of mind! Thank you greatly for that input. I was a little 50/50 on the overall OEM or aftermarket products but being that a positive attitude towards aftermarket is a stress reliever.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTCoupe View Post
So did I invent in something good? Lol the AC condenser is made by Mahle Behr but could not really find much input based on that brand or if anyone had ever replace this part before. But I did read among the lines it was OEM quality or something in that nature as stated. Yeah I'm out of warranty now so wherever I can save a buck or two I am willing too especially since my local dealer charges way too much.

That gave me a piece of mind! Thank you greatly for that input. I was a little 50/50 on the overall OEM or aftermarket products but being that a positive attitude towards aftermarket is a stress reliever.
No problem! Yeah Mahle-Behr in my opinion is a pretty good brand, same brand I ran in my older C Class with over 350000km @ 11 years on the condenser and no issues.

I think you'd be fine overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
No problem! Yeah Mahle-Behr in my opinion is a pretty good brand, same brand I ran in my older C Class with over 350000km @ 11 years on the condenser and no issues.

I think you'd be fine overall.

Ah awesome! Thanks for that hopefully it will perform the job just as good or better. Question is it easy to replace if you're a DIY person?
Appreciate 0