E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sponsorship

08-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Sponsorship

Hi i was just wondering if any E9Xers here are sponsored, and no not as in selling parts here, i mean as in having the hook up( free or big discount) at some place or shop, if so how did you get sponsored
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg E90 View Post
Hi i was just wondering if any E9Xers here are sponsored, and no not as in selling parts here, i mean as in having the hook up( free or big discount) at some place or shop, if so how did you get sponsored
spend lots of money first, then get noticed, then get sponsored.
      08-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

It seems you have been making a lot of these types of posts. I hate to break it to you but 99.8% of the people on this forum are not into the types of mods that you like, in fact most are 100% against it. Now you can still get sponsored but modifying everything on the car with wild graphics, lights, carbon fiber, and the lot is just not what you're going to find on this forum.

That being said, since you're in socal though and that amount of mod shops and companies out there I would suggest going around and talking to the people at these types of places. People aren't just going to give you free parts, etc. unless the benefit from it. You're going to have to show them that they can increase their exposure, market base, customer base, etc. form sponsoring you. Also remember that the people who would potentially sponsor you also have cars and could just mod their own cars (sponsor themselves if you will). I wouldn't go into it expecting to get a sponsor that is going to give you however many thousands of dollars in parts, that just doesn't really happen.
      08-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

hit up ltmw to sponsor you a LB lika nascar nascar body kit. those kits been blowing up my ig so i had to unfollow.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335
It seems you have been making a lot of these types of posts. I hate to break it to you but 99.8% of the people on this forum are not into the types of mods that you like, in fact most are 100% against it. Now you can still get sponsored but modifying everything on the car with wild graphics, lights, carbon fiber, and the lot is just not what you're going to find on this forum.

That being said, since you're in socal though and that amount of mod shops and companies out there I would suggest going around and talking to the people at these types of places. People aren't just going to give you free parts, etc. unless the benefit from it. You're going to have to show them that they can increase their exposure, market base, customer base, etc. form sponsoring you. Also remember that the people who would potentially sponsor you also have cars and could just mod their own cars (sponsor themselves if you will). I wouldn't go into it expecting to get a sponsor that is going to give you however many thousands of dollars in parts, that just doesn't really happen.
I get what you're saying, I'm just looking for some advice, I drove all around el monte, industry, brea and pomona yesterday looking for sponsors. I already had 1 partial, got another partial yesterday, and I have 4 more waiting that haven't been decided yet, so far the best i got was a partial and that was fairly easy but when i went to others yesterday, they we're asking what shows I've competed in and what I've won and will compete in and I was stunned since I mostly just attend meets and thats about it. Hopefully I can gain some exposure once my car gets featured in Carbuzz.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

It's a competitive space. I get all parts at wholesale cost and labor at discounted rate. I'm not sponsored it doing anything for this, just have friends in the industry... It seems that sponsorship normally means discounts in the 15% to 40% range on parts. I've NEVER seen free parts given out. You'd better still have deep pockets because to break in you need to already have a major project underway.... Getting sponsorship can help decrease cost on a project you're doing, but you'll <almost> never be able to find a situation where someone backs your project and you're then not paying for it.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks
It's a competitive space. I get all parts at wholesale cost and labor at discounted rate. I'm not sponsored it doing anything for this, just have friends in the industry... It seems that sponsorship normally means discounts in the 15% to 40% range on parts. I've NEVER seen free parts given out. You'd better still have deep pockets because to break in you need to already have a major project underway.... Getting sponsorship can help decrease cost on a project you're doing, but you'll &lt;almost> never be able to find a situation where someone backs your project and you're then not paying for it.
Yeah I've been finding that out slowly, I have heard of free stuff before but thats for top notch cars that win every event. As far as money goes I'm 17 so I dont have any, and since i get a pretty large discount(30-50% off) from SOME of my sponsors, I'm trying to sell product at less then retail but enough to make a profit
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
RainKing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport - Sedan

Quote:
Yeah I've been finding that out slowly, I have heard of free stuff before but thats for top notch cars that win every event. As far as money goes I'm 17 so I dont have any, and since i get a pretty large discount(30-50% off) from SOME of my sponsors, I'm trying to sell product at less then retail but enough to make a profit
You are probably better off going and working for one of these shops to either get a significant discount or at least build some connections in the scene. If I were a shop owner, I would only sponsor someone I trust... ei someone I would employ.

Oh, and stay in school
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
08AWD335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI

Quote:
Do you honestly think that whomever your getting this stuff wont catch on? Thats less of a profit for them.....I would think that you had to sign some sort of legal paperwork for acquiring said sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

Step 1. Do something worthy of being sponsored.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

"Having the hookup," as you say, is terminology you may want to leave out of your discussions with business owners to whom you seek to present a case for including you and your vehicle among their population of beneficiaries. Though I have no "hookup" to offer you, I can say that as a principal responsible for multiple >$20 million projects, reading the post with which you opened this thread, I wouldn't exactly think you want to seek sponsorship as part of a win-win relationship, and that would be enough for me not to consider it. If by "hook-up" you mean a relationship with business owners who see the sponsorships you seek as part of their promotional and advertising strategy, I suspect that if they aren't ringing your phone, you'll have to do cold calling to establish such a relationship.

In addition to the suggestion above regarding stepping up your game as goes professionalism, I suggest you also identify what it about sponsoring you and your car that provides a prospective business owner with something they don't already have or how it can equal something they already have, but cost them less. If you have friends who work in the non-profit industry, they may be able to help you put together a strategy for accomplishing your goal, for folks in that industry are pros at obtaining money and tangibles in return for little more than a positive mention here and there.

All the best and good luck in your endeavor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
"Having the hookup," as you say, is terminology you may want to leave out of your discussions with business owners to whom you seek to present a case for including you and your vehicle among their population of beneficiaries. Though I have no "hookup" to offer you, I can say that as a principal responsible for multiple >$20 million projects, reading the post with which you opened this thread, I wouldn't exactly think you want to seek sponsorship as part of a win-win relationship, and that would be enough for me not to consider it. If by "hook-up" you mean a relationship with business owners who see the sponsorships you seek as part of their promotional and advertising strategy, I suspect that if they aren't ringing your phone, you'll have to do cold calling to establish such a relationship.

In addition to the suggestion above regarding stepping up your game as goes professionalism, I suggest you also identify what it about sponsoring you and your car that provides a prospective business owner with something they don't already have or how it can equal something they already have, but cost them less. If you have friends who work in the non-profit industry, they may be able to help you put together a strategy for accomplishing your goal, for folks in that industry are pros at obtaining money and tangibles in return for little more than a positive mention here and there.

All the best and good luck in your endeavor.
Thanks I appreciate the advice, my strategy as to making it a win win for both sides is, I get a discount or free part they decide to give me, and in return i advertise their company on my car in some way and besides that I would try to sell parts for them and recommend them to every one I meet at shows and stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Thanks I appreciate the advice, my strategy as to making it a win win for both sides is, I get a discount or free part they decide to give me, and in return i advertise their company on my car in some way and besides that I would try to sell parts for them and recommend them to every one I meet at shows and stuff
Its not a win win unless your car is a lambo or is winning car shows.

I can just tell your looking for free parts. A better idea would be getting a job to get car parts. To be honest, from the looks of it and your past threads, you havent made a great impression in terms of car mods. Trust me a banner of a sponsorship isnt going to make your car look any better. You could aswell lose customers to your sponsorship if people dont like your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg E90
Quote:
It's a competitive space. I get all parts at wholesale cost and labor at discounted rate. I'm not sponsored it doing anything for this, just have friends in the industry... It seems that sponsorship normally means discounts in the 15% to 40% range on parts. I've NEVER seen free parts given out. You'd better still have deep pockets because to break in you need to already have a major project underway.... Getting sponsorship can help decrease cost on a project you're doing, but you'll &lt;almost> never be able to find a situation where someone backs your project and you're then not paying for it.
That's a good way to get people really pissed at you and burn your bridges. You're essentially distributing their parts under the guise of a sponsorship (you should have a distribution contract for that).... At best, it's simply dishonest. At worst, well...

Just don't do that.... My advice to you is to drop your dream of being sponsored, stay in school, and get a job you like (so you can then pay for your own mods).

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg E90
Quote:
That's a good way to get people really pissed at you and burn your bridges. You're essentially distributing their parts under the guise of a sponsorship (you should have a distribution contract for that).... At best, it's simply dishonest. At worst, well...

Just don't do that.... My advice to you is to drop your dream of being sponsored, stay in school, and get a job you like (so you can then pay for your own mods).
I dont really sell them as much as make the connection/ reference and get small cut
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

When your vehicle is featured on NATIONAL TV regularly, then you can probably get some sponsorships.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed

Step 1 - Sell 3 series
Step 2 - Buy an M model of some sort
Step 3 - Still be unconsidered for huge discounts
Step 4 - Realize you are not special and sell your BMW

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Post picture of future sponsored car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
hawaiianeze is sponsored but some wheel company. Ask him.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

I sponsor myself. It's worked out well.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Hahahahaha are kids getting more stupid and clueless with each generation?!?! Like someone said, you're not really look for a sponsorship - you need to research and understand what it means to be legitimately sponsored. Right now, you're just a broke ass kid asking companies/vendors for handouts. Shit doesn't work like that in real life.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0