E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What are you thoughts on having driven a Lexus?

02-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

What are you thoughts on having driven a Lexus?

To those who have driven a recent model Lexus, what are your thoughts?
Do you think they can compare to Audi/BMW/Merc as a prestige car?

Personally I do not like them, I disliked many things about the car, too many buttons, weird brake feel, ugly sounding beep it makes when you lock the car. I think they are good cars but for a prestige car they need to sort out a few things.

I ask this because on whirlpool forums whenever someone mentions BMW a lot of people say to get a Lexus instead because its cheaper to maintain, so I feel alone on my view.
      02-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Most comfortable Luxury vehicle on the market.
The Lexus LS is more quiet than a Tesla Model S. Smoother ride than an S class.

Ugly sounding beep? Who the hell cares about this stuff? Have you heard the Panamera beep when you lock the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

I thought the S class got air suspension before the LS did. And now the S class has a new type of adaptive suspension that scans the road up to speeds of 130km/h. So are you really sure the LS is a smoother ride? Are you comparing the same generations?

I care about the beep, sounds like a refrigerator thats been left open too long and cheapens my perception of the car, it is an unpleasant beep although I have not heard the one in the panamera.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 02-23-2014 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
I had a 2010 lexus IS 350, was actually a great car but I wanted something with more grunt hence my M3

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

reliability, comfort and quality...that's what Lexus is all about.
      02-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
+1, and they're closing the performance gap.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
+1, and they're closing the performance gap.
+1

With the availability of the NA 5.0 V8, I am more interested in the RC-F than I am the F80/F82.
      02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchRacerYo View Post
+1

With the availability of the NA 5.0 V8, I am more interested in the RC-F than I am the F80/F82.
It's going to weight more then the M3, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchRacerYo View Post
+1

It's going to weight more then the M3, though.
Does not matter to me. Not considering either car. Z06 or Viper for me next.

I prefer naturally aspirated engines, but a supercharger is fine to me. Still keeps some of that NA feel.
      02-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I thought the S class got air suspension before the LS did. And now the S class has a new type of adaptive suspension that scans the road up to speeds of 130km/h. So are you really sure the LS is a smoother ride? Are you comparing the same generations?

I care about the beep, sounds like a refrigerator thats been left open too long and cheapens my perception of the car, it is an unpleasant beep although I have not heard the one in the panamera.
W221 compared to XF40.

Haven't sat in/driven a W222 yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

They prioritize different aspects from their German rivals.

A quick note on prestige - the "prestige" of a car brand is only as robust as the "prestige" of the person who drive's the car.

Person A finances a used 335i for $20,000.

Person B buys a new, loaded Honda Odyssey outright for $37,000 and writes a check for it in full

Person C leases a brand new 7 series for 3 years @ $800/month with $0 down, but goes back to driving a used econobox years later because the lease payments are unsustainable.

Person D drives a 335i that his parent's purchased for him.

Who's to say that Person A driving the 335i is considered "more prestigious" than person B driving the Odyssey? Person B could be driving the used 335i in principle (if person B can afford to write a $37,000 check on a minivan, he can afford to finance a $20,000 car). Is Person C deserving of a more prestigious reputation than Person A just because Person C drives a 7 series?

I fall into the class of "Person D." The fact that I drive a "BMW" is in fact not prestigious at all because I did not purchase the car with my own money.

I just think there are so many variations that brand prestige means very little. Now, that being said, there are various metrics to try and assess the "prestige" of a car brand.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Luxury...ercedes-29811/

Quote:
Luxury Institute Survey 2008: Most Prestigious Brands

1) Porsche
2) Lexus
3) Mercedes

The proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey is the only measure of the prestige of leading brands among wealthy Americans. A national sample of 1,642 wealthy American consumers, with an average income of $349K and average net-worth of $3.7 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are weighted to match demographic and net worth profiles of the same audience according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.
So, to bring the discussion back to the topic - yes, a lot of people (and in particular, reasonably affluent people) consider Lexus to be of comparable prestige to Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

I guess I am alone then.
The reason I do not consider it as prestigious and because I believe Audi/BMW/Merc and ofc Porsche are more prestigious (and it used to be in that order) is because they all go beyond the call of building a good car.

Lexus while still prestigious to a degree do prioritize different aspects, I noticed it is not as refined but they use more expensive materials at least such as leather and paint. Lexus is also not as technologically advanced as shown by the LS vs the S class suspension. Their is not as much attention to detail in a Lexus for example the feel of pressing the buttons in the car is not as good.

But those are not the reasons I think they are not a replacement for Audi/BMW/Merc, and its also not a badge thing or markup price.
I just found it more difficult to live with a Lexus, I guess you could say it was attention to detail but things that bothered me:
Brake pedal goes by travel not just pressure.
The beep.
Must turn off ignition to lock the car.
Too many buttons and feels unintuitive compared to BMW.

Prestigious cars deserve to be nitpicked.
      02-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The only reason I went with a BMW and not a Lexus suv was performance. The Lexus was very refined. Smooth engine, quiet cabin, excellent interior fit finish and feel. As far as build quality, I bet the Lexus would not be in the shop nearly add much as my BMW has been.

I was prepared to live with a car that wouldn't be terribly reliable, just because it fits my needs and wants. The majority of people who can afford "prestige" are typically getting older, ads want comfort and reliability over braking feel, 0-60 times and how a car responds to oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

My wife's 2013 GS 350 F-Sport is a fantastic vehicle. It drives like a sports car should yet maintains Lexus's peerless levels of comfort and build quality. The interior is just amazing (nicer than the 535i we drove IMO) and the peanut butter tan leather we got is just about perfect. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved the 535i as well but with rebates and such we were able to get a fully loaded GS for $10-$15k less than a comparably equipped 535i (and still much less than even a 528i). Money talks...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The 3rd generation IS is a major step up from last generation. Much more responsive to being tossed around. My only hesistation is wanting to see if Toyota releases a new engine in next model year. If the rumored turbo six cylinder shows up, it will be icing on the cake.
      02-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
If you value comfort and gadgets over driving pleasure. The Lexus gives the most bang for your buck. My IS had LED interior lights well before I see it on any European car. The infotainment and GPS used to be miles ahead of BMW and Mercedes. The GPS in my E85 was a joke. iDrive and Comand have come a long way though. The instrument panel in the new IS sport is amazing. The thing I can't stand abt Lexus nowadays is it's exterior. It seems like the designer is trying too hard.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
My wife's 2013 GS 350 F-Sport is a fantastic vehicle. It drives like a sports car should yet maintains Lexus's peerless levels of comfort and build quality. The interior is just amazing (nicer than the 535i we drove IMO) and the peanut butter tan leather we got is just about perfect. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved the 535i as well but with rebates and such we were able to get a fully loaded GS for $10-$15k less than a comparably equipped 535i (and still much less than even a 528i). Money talks...
Agreed!....And the GS in F-Sport trim is light on its feet compared to the competition, which kinda makes up for the lack of power. The interior is just a nice place to be, and for me at this point in my life is what makes the sale, great fit/finish, heads up display, heated/cooled front seats, good audio system. I will be on the market next year this time and the GS is the top of the list...I will surely miss the power of my 335i but I won't miss the "what's going to break next" anxiety....
      02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #18
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Expect the new 3.0l V6 and 4.0l V8 turbo to make their debut with the next generation LS. The RC will get the new 2.0l I4 turbo after the NX, of course it will replace the 2.5l V6 in the IS and GS.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #19
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

So today I drove my dads Lexus again.
Was inconvenienced by the fact you cant enter a GPS location while driving, do they still do this?
Also I noticed very odd brake behaviour. I went to do a 3 point uturn on a 4 lane 2 way street using a driveway, I had to be quick to avoid a car in the outside lane so I did some heavy braking before going in to the driveway. I pressed the brake about half way and the car slowed a bit, I pressed a bit more then the car slowed a lot, it was not linear at all and felt weird like the car was doing its own thing, it was not the emergency braking either.

My dad has had 2 Lexuses and I just refuse to believe they are a replacement for a German car.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 02-27-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #20
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
So today I drove my dads Lexus again.
Was inconvenienced by the fact you cant enter a GPS location while driving, do they still do this?
Also I noticed very odd brake behaviour. I went to do a 3 point uturn on a 4 lane 2 way street using a driveway, I had to be quick to avoid a car in the outside lane so I did some heavy braking before going in to the driveway. I pressed the brake about half way and the car slowed a bit, I pressed a bit more then the car slowed a lot, it was not linear at all and felt weird like the car was doing its own thing, it was not the emergency braking either.

My dad has had 2 Lexuses and I just refuse to believe they are a replacement for a German car.
Check the pads. My brakes always bite hard on the is350, seems to be less grabby as they wear but never notice the binary behavior you experienced. Go test drive the new IS, it is more equally matched for driving experience. The older Lexus is meant to be driven differently. I love the buttery experience when I drive normally not completely off the hinge, the style car does not reward.

Nor do I find the non-M, S, RS or AMG European cars as edgy as I like. They're a notch higher than old Lexus but you still feel the compromise.

Last edited by Robert; 02-27-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:14 AM   #21
ItsHectic
Australia
Rep

This is a sports luxury CT200h the 1st year model. It has about 10,000km on it so I doubt its the pads.
I think I will test drive the new IS but I am expecting to be disapointed.
      02-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #22
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
This is a sports luxury CT200h the 1st year model. It has about 10,000km on it so I doubt its the pads.
I think I will test drive the new IS but I am expecting to be disapointed.
That's not exactly a top of the line lexus. If you want a decent comparison go drive the IS350 or better yet the GS350. Quite frankly if the new GS had been out when I bought my 13 S4, I would have probably gone with that in a heart beat. The newer models, IS350 and GS350, have made some big leaps forward in terms of handling feel and performance. It's not a BMW or Audi but they are now in the game and the fact of the matter is Lexus blows away the competition with fit, finish, luxury, and quality. If lexus continues on the path they are the german car makers are going to continue to feel some more pain.
Appreciate 0