E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 128i vs 08 VW R32

03-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #23
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had an R32 for almost a year and its served as my daily before getting the M3. Between it and the 128i then it's no contest for me, R32 takes it! I still miss it and the other day I saw one and remembered how sweet it was to drive and how awesome that exhaust sounded. 128 did nothing for me when I drove it and I would not get it over an R32.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #24
duyh
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M & 13 E92 M3

get a 128 if you dont mind driving one of the ugliest bimmers out there
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #25
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Clearly the R32 has it's supporters on this thread, but I just think that a grown man driving around in a "hot hatch" isn't going to be taken seriously. Put it this way: would you rather take a girl out in an R32 or a 128i? A client? Track times aren't everything, or even the most important thing (are you actually going to be racing this car, anyway?). Think about your dignity, man!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Clearly the R32 has it's supporters on this thread, but I just think that a grown man driving around in a "hot hatch" isn't going to be taken seriously. Put it this way: would you rather take a girl out in an R32 or a 128i? A client? Track times aren't everything, or even the most important thing (are you actually going to be racing this car, anyway?). Think about your dignity, man!
If the argument was about a Civic Type-R then I could possibly see your point but in comparison the R32 looks and feels a lot more mature than that.

You could equally argue in the defence of the R32 whether you want to drive something the catchs your eye or something that blends in with the rest which sadly is the case with the least sporty of BMWs. At least with the R32 to instantly know it's not your average Golf, which is something that your 128i most definitely is.

By the way, the wife drives a new shaped GTI and quite regularly I take it instead of the Jag to events and functions, never once did I feel remotely inferior to the Audis, BMWs or Mercs there and generally got quite a few admirers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You could equally argue in the defence of the R32 whether you want to drive something the catchs your eye or something that blends in with the rest which sadly is the case with the least sporty of BMWs. At least with the R32 to instantly know it's not your average Golf, which is something that your 128i most definitely is.
The LEAST sporty of the BMW's? Are you joking? Are you saying a 328i is more sporting than a 128i? Or that the 5 and 7 Series cars aren't more conservatively styled and less sporty looking? Or any of the X vehicles? That is actually laughable, as is your contention that the 128i is anywhere near the same category as a standard Golf. Granted, the R32 is flashier, but in a boy-racer way. That's not a good thing. If your aim is to appear an overgrown adolescent, then choose the R32.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
imported_Nomad
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The LEAST sporty of the BMW's? Are you joking? Are you saying a 328i is more sporting than a 128i? Or that the 5 and 7 Series cars aren't more conservatively styled and less sporty looking? Or any of the X vehicles? That is actually laughable, as is your contention that the 128i is anywhere near the same category as a standard Golf. Granted, the R32 is flashier, but in a boy-racer way. That's not a good thing. If your aim is to appear an overgrown adolescent, then choose the R32.
"Overgrown adolescent" is an interesting choice of words. An adolescent would choose what everyone else is choosing based on peer pressure, a 128i. An R32 is a much more grown-up car in every way, and it is more exclusive. It shows that a person thinks for his or her self as opposed to being a sheep and following the herd mentality.

But the choice is the OP's. Drive both. Look at both. Pick the one that speaks to you. This is why there are different car manufactures. There is not one car that is "the car" for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Between the two I would get the R32. I had a 2008.5 GTI and for the money it just can't be beat and the exhaust note of the R32 is intoxicating. R32 all the way.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #30
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

So are you comparing a New 128i to a 08 R32? If so, as Footie put it "no brainer". Idea of having full warranty on a brand new car as a daily driver seems the logical choice. However the R32 will be more fun IMO to drive. An 08 135i might also come in to play as well?

GL with the search and decision - always fun to buy a new (or newer) car!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #31
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Nomad View Post
"Overgrown adolescent" is an interesting choice of words. An adolescent would choose what everyone else is choosing based on peer pressure, a 128i.
"Everyone" is driving a 128i based on peer pressure? Really? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on these boards. Where do you live that everyone drives a 128i? Sales there must be many times the national average...
But I agree, the OP should drive both and choose what speaks to him. It may well be the R32, but I'm just trying to present an opposing viewpoint. To me it's a glorified Golf. I certainly lusted after GTI's in high school, but it's been a long time, LOL. I even lusted after the R32 when it first came to the States (10 years ago?). Certainly my perception is colored because I associate the car with my own younger way of thinking.
But I give up. I presented my case and have obviously stepped on a lot of toes. Somebody mentioned the R32 being a cult classic and you lot prove it! In the end, I can't say the R32 would be a bad choice by any means - but I myself was (and am) more attracted to the 128i.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is the 128i any sportier in context within the range of the 1 series than say a 328i is in the 3 series linup? I personally don't think so, especially when you consider the 135i is currently it's sportiest model in the range and this too will soon be replaced at the top dog by the M1. At least the R32 was the top model in the Mk5 Golf lineup, only to be replaced with the equivalent Golf R in the Mk6. In Europe the Golf, especially the GTI and R models at seen as equals to the Audi and BMW equivalents and to prove this point the Golf R is sold at a slightly higher price than the S3 which is identical in almost every way.

Maybe it is you that has the problem or just the perspection in the US that the GTI and R32 aren't seen as an equal to the equivalent BMW. I would go as far as to say that I highly doubt too many former R32 owners would view the 128i as a step up the ladder either, maybe a 135i but certainly not the 128i.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
imported_Nomad
Rep
Drives:

[QUOTE=Bimmer-Bob;6820084]"Everyone" is driving a 128i based on peer pressure? Really? That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on these boards. Where do you live that everyone drives a 128i? Sales there must be many times the national average...

I was not suggesting that everyone where I reside drives a 128i. I was generalizing that BMWs are a dime a dozen. They are not exclusive and are bought by a large number of the population who are pursuing an image, not buying a car on its merits. BMW has had great marketing in the USA, but I find them to be highly overrated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #34
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Nomad View Post
I was not suggesting that everyone where I reside drives a 128i. I was generalizing that BMWs are a dime a dozen. They are not exclusive and are bought by a large number of the population who are pursuing an image, not buying a car on its merits. BMW has had great marketing in the USA, but I find them to be highly overrated.
One could also suggest that part of the reason that BMWs are as you put it 'a dime a dozen' is down to the fact that in the US BMW subsidise their retail price so dramatically to inflate their global numbers.

No doubt it is working, given your comments on how common they are but it's human nature to seek to better themselves and a BMW in the driveaway will certainly do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Drive both. Buy the one you like the most.

You can get involved in the pissing match over paper specs but we're talking about a daily driver, not a car you're going to be taking to the track every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #36
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
These are 2 different cars for different parts of your brain. Figure out which part dominates - go cart thrills or higher end comforts? If you want both you'll have to squeeze your wallet and get a 135i.
      03-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #37
blackbee
Registered
Rep
Drives: MKV R32

Hey guys, I'm new here and found this thread. This is my ride.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

R32 > 128i

Alllllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #39
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

the R32 has a sweet sounding V6 that's for sure! I actually wouldn't mind it for the snow or a backroad attacker, especially as a daily. I know my friend's Rabbit is actually very livable day to day.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #40
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Sorry but the 128I does nothing for me. I'd rather drive a regular GTI hell a 2.5 Golf over a 128I. It's a cute car that's about it.
I'm not about looks but the 128 W/O M-sport looks soft..really girlie....it's a decent car from a to b but at that point I'd get a 323I in Canada for 35K. Flame me all you want.

I would never call a GTI/STI/WRX/EVO/R32 a college kid car...maybe in the states where guys lease cars for peanuts...but at over 40-45K in canada for an STI plus 13% taxes plus 50% income taxes not many kids can afford these. No wonder why there are so many repos about 30 mins from where I live(***cough USA***).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 03-04-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #41
goffsroad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: The non-enthusiasts 128i

Sorry no more VW's for me. If you think you will have problems with a BMW, wait to you own a Volkswagen. Make sure you get the extended warranty, or know a good VW mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #42
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

If you are worries about your image then sat away from 128 as well, I don't think I have ever seen anyone besides a young female driving 1 series, at least here on the east coast
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffsroad View Post
Sorry no more VW's for me. If you think you will have problems with a BMW, wait to you own a Volkswagen. Make sure you get the extended warranty, or know a good VW mechanic.
I am on my third VW GTI, well what I should have said is my wife in on her third but you get my point. Over the space of five years we have had these cars in just three times outside of usual servicing, the first was for a rear damper failure, the second was for a noisy air-con and the third for a faulty parking sensor. Done were anything major and nor did they cause us much problems getting fixed.

So why paint a picture that the cars are troublesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #44
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
We're talking about a 128, not a 7er.... Not exactly a giant step up in any way, shape, or form from the R32. Sorry.

To me, it's a no-brainer. R32.
Appreciate 0